Navy Bowl Game

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone watching the bowl game?

Navy just ran that "QB counter" play. Fake rocket toss and the QB keeps the ball and runs away from the tail motion. I LOVE this play with JeT.

Anyone know why we don't run it more often?

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
They scored too fast, too much time left. GT-UNC 2014 all over again. The team to have the ball last wins.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Tough game. Still, Navy did well with their QB-in-waiting who started the season as the 3rd-stringer, and that 4th quarter TD run by the guy who started the season as the 4th-string QB was nifty. Coach K -- the good Coach K :) -- probably will reload next season and have yet another season of 8+ wins.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Navy this season and in this game in particular demonstrated the value and adaptability of Johnson's offense. Great players always make it better, but it does not require Heisman winners to be brutally efficient. When your 4th string QB comes in at a bad time and on the second or third plays runs counter for 40 yards or so and a TD, that is an offense to build a team on. But as fightwindrink alludes to, the defense has to step up at some point before the scoreboard breaks.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Why does the flexbone seem to get paired with lousy defences?
I'd guess (no more) it's because the schools that adopt it have a hard time recruiting the players to run a game stopping D. That's why they adopted the flex in the first place; it's a ball possession O and keeps the other side off the field, hence disguising D shortcomings.

At Tech, we'll see if that continues. This year's and next year's classes should contribute to more D stability. We don't need much more to be very hard indeed to beat.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone watching the bowl game?

Navy just ran that "QB counter" play. Fake rocket toss and the QB keeps the ball and runs away from the tail motion. I LOVE this play with JeT.

Anyone know why we don't run it more often?
Defenses we play against have 2-3 guys spying JT most of the time. La Tech's D was not spying their 4th string QB on his first play, so great time to run it.