National Signing Day Coverage

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Um, we only have 16 players in the class so we are really hurt by that in the rankings. Also, Edwards and Tatum are 4 stars in addition to BlackStrain. You could easily make the argument that Robinson and Franklin should be 4 stars based on their state rankings which typically would result in a 4th star.

Actually class size does matter (tic), but in this case it's moot. Looking at Rivals (https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2021/all-teams/Football) the 2021 class is 42nd by average star in recruiting. Before the portal of course.

Deleted member 2897

Actually class size does matter (tic), but in this case it's moot. Looking at Rivals (https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2021/all-teams/Football) the 2021 class is 42nd by average star in recruiting. Before the portal of course.

3.1 average stars is top 30. We’re at 3.0, which ranks quite favorably to where we have been historically. As I’ve mentioned several times as well, we have significantly more 5.7 3-stars instead of 5.5 3-stars, which is the inverse of where we’ve been historically, and doesn’t get taken into account in average star ratings.

we used to take 10-15 5.5‘s each year, and we only have a couple this year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We are not using the transfer portal as out foundation. We are using it to bring in a talent at spots were we need an upgrade. We are still in the process of flipping this roster to the kind of players CGC covets. Collins recruited all of these kids that we are bringing back with 4 years of eligibility. If he still likes them and thinks they can have an impact I am all for it. Like it or not, the transfer portal has become a factor for all schools. Even factories are bringing in transfers to help fill spots. There is no reason for Tech to limit its options to only high school recruits.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
3.1 average stars is top 30. We’re at 3.0, which ranks quite favorably to where we have been historically. As I’ve mentioned several times as well, we have significantly more 5.7 3-stars instead of 5.5 3-stars, which is the inverse of where we’ve been historically, and doesn’t get taken into account in average star ratings.

we used to take 10-15 5.5‘s each year, and we only have a couple this year.

That's good. The average Rivals lists is average by star. The number of points for a recruiting class determined by the ranking. Taking the average by points for players with rankings, we move up to #20. Taking the average by total players in a class, we move up to #30. Which is part of your point.

Not quite sure why all players for an elite team like Ohio State aren't ranked. (21<>3=15=2) South Florida has 10 who aren't ranked. And we have only 1.

Now all we have to do is win games :)
SCHOOLTOTAL5 STARS4 STARS3 STARSAVG by StarPOINTSAvg by Points Total ClassAvg by Points Ranked Players
Ohio State
21​
3​
15​
2​
3.95​
3005​
150.25​
Clemson
18​
1​
14​
3​
3.89​
2472​
Oklahoma
16​
2​
9​
5​
3.81​
2148​
Georgia
20​
2​
14​
4​
3.9​
2664​
Alabama
26​
4​
16​
6​
3.92​
3371​
LSU
21​
2​
15​
4​
3.9​
2676​
Texas A&M
20​
2​
11​
7​
3.75​
2537​
Oregon
21​
2​
14​
5​
3.86​
2639​
Michigan
20​
0​
12​
7​
3.55​
2269​
USC
19​
0​
14​
5​
3.74​
2244​
North Carolina
18​
0​
11​
6​
3.56​
1919​
Miami (FL)
21​
1​
11​
9​
3.62​
2327​
South Florida
21​
0​
0​
11​
2.52​
1140​
Texas
20​
0​
8​
11​
3.35​
1930​
Florida
25​
1​
12​
11​
3.52​
2425​
Washington
15​
1​
5​
8​
3.4​
1369​
Washington State
20​
0​
1​
11​
2.65​
1170​
Penn State
15​
0​
6​
9​
3.4​
1459​
Wisconsin
21​
1​
8​
12​
3.48​
1989​
Tennessee
22​
0​
8​
14​
3.36​
2072​
Georgia Tech
17​
0​
3​
11​
3​
1305​
Iowa
17​
0​
5​
11​
3.24​
1485​
Notre Dame
27​
1​
11​
14​
3.44​
2383​
Michigan State
19​
0​
4​
12​
3.05​
1464​
Auburn
12​
0​
3​
9​
3.25​
1093​
Nebraska
19​
0​
2​
17​
3.11​
1724​
Stanford
15​
0​
1​
12​
2.93​
1152​
Colorado
20​
0​
1​
13​
2.75​
1230​
Florida State
17​
0​
3​
14​
3.18​
1471​
UCLA
17​
0​
2​
14​
3.06​
1382​

I agree that we are recruiting higher ranked players than under CPJ but that's a dead horse.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen some comments pointing out that they see transfers as replacements to people who went into the portal which I also think is an unfair characterization. Considering the typical 85 NCAA total scholarship count and that there are typically a handful of 5 yr redshirt seniors, you can really only sign 18-20 recruits a year without people leaving the program. I haven’t gone back and checked but I think we would have had 17 or 18 recruiting slots this year without attrition.

Also, of the people in the portal right now, only Showell and Brown had significant numbers (maybe Chico). The 2020 numbers for people in the portal on 247 are 6/13 passing, 85 yds passing, 11 rec, 183 rec yds, and about 39 tackles. Granted a few people opted out and didn’t play, but our transfers who joined the program last year were probably our best offensive lineman plus 37 tackles and 2 sacks between less players. Not overwhelming numbers but more production than the exiting players. Granted I don’t think you’ll find anyone who wanted to lose Brown, but I think the potential of our transfers coming in far exceeds that of who left. If our guys were starters transferring out and going to big schools, I’d be worried but so far that isn’t the case.
No doubt, if you are comparing our "portal ins" as it were to our "portal outs" we definitely came out smelling like a rose. Which means that we should win at least 5 next year with the contributions of veteran players from the portal who were ranked far higher than the ones we lost. Assuming that they are properly coached and ready to play. The proof is in the pudding and as one coach put it: "They come highly recommended". Indeed, they do.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree that it would be a poor long term strategy for a number of reasons. It may help us out short term though. We will see.
Kansas State made a living for a long time with junior college transfers but ultimately you have to do better than we did this year with incoming freshmen. Win more games and none of this matters...continue losing games and all the smoke and mirrors in the world will not matter.

slugboy

Staff member
On the contrary, you will find out just how powerful a message losing can become. Winning 3 or 4 games will not get it done.
Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State have gotten top 25 classes after poor or worse repeated seasons—Tennessee too. Tennessee spent years in futility, but kept getting high ranked classes. Nebraska has had horrible seasons and continues to get highly ranked classes. FSU has had a worse three year streak than us, players don’t like their coach, and they’re still top 25 on 247.
Winning is better than losing, but a good recruiting coach can sell a program a lot of different ways.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Kansas State made a living for a long time with junior college transfers but ultimately you have to do better than we did this year with incoming freshmen. Win more games and none of this matters...continue losing games and all the smoke and mirrors in the world will not matter.
Don’t disagree but would simply add that right now, and even over the next two years, it is not the losing that bothers me the most. If we looked disciplined and well coached on the field and looked competitive in our losses, that would make up for a multitude of sins.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t disagree but would simply add that right now, and even over the next two years, it is not the losing that bothers me the most. If we looked disciplined and well coached on the field and looked competitive in our losses, that would make up for a multitude of sins.
100%.
I’ll ask an honest question - we seem to very often look unready for the snap. There’s a lot of looking to the sidelines pre-snap - both on offense and defense. Does anyone else notice this ?

Watching the Coastal - Liberty game I think we all look forward to the day when we can execute an offense like either of those two teams. We are a long long way from that day, but we could move there quickly I hope

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
100%.
I’ll ask an honest question - we seem to very often look unready for the snap. There’s a lot of looking to the sidelines pre-snap - both on offense and defense. Does anyone else notice this ?

Watching the Coastal - Liberty game I think we all look forward to the day when we can execute an offense like either of those two teams. We are a long long way from that day, but we could move there quickly I hope
I also wonder if there is a calculated trade off for CGC in all of this? Is it that he does not want to sacrifice “juice?” Is it a philosophy of play loose and fast even if you are making mistakes? Jumping around on the sideline, and even lifting weights on the sideline, seems to me to be about some kind of energized player atmosphere that takes precedence over disciplined execution.

I am neither criticizing CGC nor making excuses for CGC, just trying to understand why what we see on the field looks so unorganized. And wondering if in some indirect way it is part of the plan.

Watching Georgia State’s bowl win I wondered how we would do against them. I think we have better athletes over all but theirs seem to play more as a unit.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I also wonder if there is a calculated trade off for CGC in all of this? Is it that he does not want to sacrifice “juice?” Is it a philosophy of play loose and fast even if you are making mistakes? Jumping around on the sideline, and even lifting weights on the sideline, seems to me to be about some kind of energized player atmosphere that takes precedence over disciplined execution.

I am neither criticizing CGC nor making excuses for CGC, just trying to understand why what we see on the field looks so unorganized. And wondering if in some indirect way it is part of the plan.

Watching Georgia State’s bowl win I wondered how we would do against them. I think we have better athletes over all but theirs seem to play more as a unit.
If that were true it would be very troubling. I doubt it - it’s all part of the recruiting appeal I think, but there was a problem this year for sure with penalties and not playing clean. Really regardless of talent you can’t win (at a high level - TM) and not be capable of playing a clean game - ask Florida

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
100%.

Well, Auburn years ago, before Malzhan, had what was derided as the "prairie dog" offense, when they would come up to the line and everyone would look to the sideline with the linemen all in unison looking up and turning their heads like prairie dogs but that is not what we have here. Personally, I think it is the result of having a young team, that is unsure of itself sometimes. We will see. Maybe it will not continue next year as Jeff gets more experienced the team will look to HIM instead of the sidelines.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State have gotten top 25 classes after poor or worse repeated seasons—Tennessee too. Tennessee spent years in futility, but kept getting high ranked classes. Nebraska has had horrible seasons and continues to get highly ranked classes. FSU has had a worse three year streak than us, players don’t like their coach, and they’re still top 25 on 247.
Winning is better than losing, but a good recruiting coach can sell a program a lot of different ways.
True but we have this hang up about paying players, bagmen, and the like plus there is this matter of actually going to classes. Imagine, making football players go to class and work towards getting a useful degree. What is the world coming to?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, Auburn years ago, before Malzhan, had what was derided as the "prairie dog" offense, when they would come up to the line and everyone would look to the sideline with the linemen all in unison looking up and turning their heads like prairie dogs but that is not what we have here. Personally, I think it is the result of having a young team, that is unsure of itself sometimes. We will see. Maybe it will not continue next year as Jeff gets more experienced the team will look to HIM instead of the sidelines.
Happened last year too though, and it’s on both sides - at least how I see / perceive it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
All we really need are four or five game changers in every class. The rest can be plug and play. And we won’t know this for a year or two.