National Signing Day Coverage

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Harris and Pendley were at Bama and Ms. State for two years. Pendley had minimal playing time and Harris never saw the field. Expecting them to come in and be game changers is anything but certain. Scott was a 3 star, ranked as the 62nd DT in his class. He wouldn’t have been viewed as a star recruit had he signed with us last year.

As I noted, I expect White and Cochran to contribute. The others...we’ll see.
I think your statement is fair but very conservative. Both White and Cochran will do a hell of a lot more than contribute. Speaking of DT, when’s the last time GT signed one rated as high as Scott’s 62nd rank.
I like his chances of being the rotation.
As far as the other two Grayson guys, time will tell. Both were top 20 guys and came highly recommended!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think your statement is fair but very conservative. Both White and Cochran will do a hell of a lot more than contribute. Speaking of DT, when’s the last time GT signed one rated as high as Scott’s 62nd rank.
I like his chances of being the rotation.
As far as the other two Grayson guys, time will tell. Both were top 20 guys and came highly recommended!
I think Chimedza was almost a 4 star. We need him to be healthy next year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Harris and Pendley were at Bama and Ms. State for two years. Pendley had minimal playing time and Harris never saw the field. Expecting them to come in and be game changers is anything but certain. Scott was a 3 star, ranked as the 62nd DT in his class. He wouldn’t have been viewed as a star recruit had he signed with us last year.

Expecting any high school player we signed in this class to come in and be game changers is anything but certain. I am not sure why we should be any less excited about a freshman transferring vs a high school player. Neither is a sure thing. Tarshard Choice could not beat out some guy named Adrian at OU and did not even start his first year at GT. I think that turned out ok for us.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Can’t you both be right about this?

Several of you make a good case for this being an exciting class.

But the fact is stars by a name are not a guarantee of success. A 4 star out of high school shows potential. A 4 star in college who could not crack the lineup may still have promise but they don’t have quite the shine as they once did. That may say more about us as fans than about them as players but I think that’s a fact. Lots of 4 star recruits don’t live up to their promise in college. Let’s hope that giving these guys a second chance and a new environment helps them flourish.
No. We can’t.

If we’re talking in general, than maybe, but we’re not. We’re talking about this class, these transfers and this year.

As to the 4 stars who can’t crack the lineup, are you saying we should write off Brooks at CB or Franks at LB since they didn’t play this year save maybe some special teams?

I don’t understand how y’all can’t see the difference of taking young guys from big programs with virtually all of their eligibility left versus taking a one year rental.

If all these guys were like Clayton, it would be a different story. I think people were right to withhold some excitement when we brought him in because he had been around for a while and not done much.

To expect young guys to play at programs way deeper in talent than ours when some of our 4 star guys didn’t play seems a little crazy to me.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
There are reasons Scott, Pendley, and Harris didn’t see playing time.
Can you please tell me what those were?

Can you then explain why Brooks, Franks, and Griffin played so little this year playing on a roster with significantly less talent than Bama, Miss St., and USCe? What about Meiguez, Rankins, or Ivey (who played some in the last couple games when our whole DL was out)?

Maybe it’s because they’re freshman and most teams don’t play a lot of freshman. Elite freshman play at all schools. Some play out of necessity. Most don’t play a significant amount of snaps.

I’m still really excited about all those guys I listed above. If you are as well, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be equally as excited about the young guys we’re bringing in.

The guy I’m most excited about is White and he’s most likely only going to be here for one year, but his tape says he can be dominant.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What are your thoughts on the grad transfer for Ohio State that just broke Eddie George’s 25 year old rushing record? Not much excitement?! Gave me goosebumps when he did it.

Guy was from Marietta and went to Oklahoma.
I couldn't be happier for the kid. Went to school about 10 minutes from where I live. Pretty cool to see him ball out today. His situation wasn't quite what I was talking about though. Sermon rushed for 744 yards as a true freshman at Oklahoma and another 947 yards the year after that. He was never a kid struggling to get playing time.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

Actually 247 claims Harris played in the Ala/Auburn game in 2019 with 1 forced fumble, 2 tackles and one fumble recovery. Didn’t play in 2020.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually 247 claims Harris played in the Ala/Auburn game in 2019 with 1 forced fumble, 2 tackles and one fumble recovery. Didn’t play in 2020.
Alabama says 247 is full of ****. Those stats belong to Christian Harris, a guy who signed in the same class as Kevin Harris, but has played a lot. Link.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you please tell me what those were?

Can you then explain why Brooks, Franks, and Griffin played so little this year playing on a roster with significantly less talent than Bama, Miss St., and USCe? What about Meiguez, Rankins, or Ivey (who played some in the last couple games when our whole DL was out)?

Maybe it’s because they’re freshman and most teams don’t play a lot of freshman. Elite freshman play at all schools. Some play out of necessity. Most don’t play a significant amount of snaps.

I’m still really excited about all those guys I listed above. If you are as well, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be equally as excited about the young guys we’re bringing in.

The guy I’m most excited about is White and he’s most likely only going to be here for one year, but his tape says he can be dominant.
Sure, “reasons” is a nice way of saying they couldn’t break into the lineup. Scott is certainly understandable considering he was a true freshman, but both Harris and Pendley were at their respective schools for 2 years.

As you noted, “Elite freshman play at all schools.” My point is simply that the young transfers are not currently elite as they did not play much, if at all, at their prior schools. Your statement + their lack of playing time indicates you agree with me.

Jamious Griffin is actually a great example. He struggled his first year, now we have Gibbs, and it’s clear that his future playing time will be significantly limited. Thus, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer in the future.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
As you noted, “Elite freshman play at all schools.” My point is simply that the young transfers are not currently elite as they did not play much, if at all, at their prior schools. Your statement + their lack of playing time indicates you agree with me.

Jamious Griffin is actually a great example. He struggled his first year, now we have Gibbs, and it’s clear that his future playing time will be significantly limited. Thus, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer in the future.
Would love to hear your thoughts on elite vs quality back up vs “I wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer”.

If they started as a 4 star out of high school and then didn’t play as a freshman(wherever that’s may be) do they go straight from elite to your final statement?

You still want Griffin around if Gibbs gets hurt. Therefore we want these young transfer guys for depth if our “elite” guys get hurt. There’s levels of players and we are obviously improving depth with these pick ups. Just because they didn’t play as freshman doesn’t change their potential.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Would love to hear your thoughts on elite vs quality back up vs “I wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer”.

If they started as a 4 star out of high school and then didn’t play as a freshman(wherever that’s may be) do they go straight from elite to your final statement?

You still want Griffin around if Gibbs gets hurt. Therefore we want these young transfer guys for depth if our “elite” guys get hurt. There’s levels of players and we are obviously improving depth with these pick ups. Just because they didn’t play as freshman doesn’t change their potential.

the elite back up conversation is probably a moot point. The powerhouses in football became so due to players knowing that when their turn came they would be a feature player on an elite team, with maximum exposure, surrounded by other elite players. That is the draw of the powerhouses. The lesser programs don’t and never had the luxury of having 2-3 five stars waiting in line To play. Given the NFLs reach this transfer stuff all but ensures depth will be a thing of the past. Now going to Georgia and waiting your turn for exposure isn’t necessary. Equity will ensure that Georgia back ups are Kansas starters, transfers give them quality teammates ( from day one of their college career ).

If Griffin gets healthy and thinks he can start at TCU he will leave, unless education is more important. Most elite or quality players have The NFL on their minds and the sooner the better. Being the main one on the TCU highlights gets him a bigger NFL contract faster.

if the transfer rules stays the same we will see more parity in 10 years, there is simply no need to wait in line anymore. You will see 4 or 5 star starters backed up by 3 star players. Who thinks Gibbs will be at Tech in 2023 ? In his mind he will be a junior, why put off the millions ? With that in mind does anyone think Gibbs would transfer to Georgia or Bama ? Of course not he is the stud starter here and he is essentially alone in that position group as long as he is here - he’s the feature back. In a business sense he is Techs highlight reel at the position And that’s free marketing.

the 3 stars won’t risk the education but the 4 & 5 stars ain’t gonna stack up in line at Ohio State anymore.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say he struggled his first year, and he was still getting snaps this year until he got injured. Everyone in the RB room gets somewhat reduced snaps though because we have (at least) 4 very talented RBs and it keeps their wear down and keeps them fresh all game to rotate. I also don't think Griffin would transfer because he has two brothers on the team, one of which is also getting a lot of playing time.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure, “reasons” is a nice way of saying they couldn’t break into the lineup. Scott is certainly understandable considering he was a true freshman, but both Harris and Pendley were at their respective schools for 2 years.

It seems like you’re changing the argument. The initial argument was about people getting excited over transfers versus incoming freshman. Not whether the guys we have coming in are elite.

I can tell you personally, I’m more excited about White and Watson than most of the incoming freshman on the defensive side of the ball (save Edwards). My guess is I’m not alone in that assessment. I think most of us are really excited about Scott and Pendley too because they come in at a position of need with bodies that have been through college S&C and should be ready to contribute right away.

As for Griffin, he is a perfect example, but it doesn’t do what you want it to do and you prove that as you continued to write. He didn’t play much as a freshman, not because he struggled, but because he was a freshman and pass pro was vital and he was behind Mason. This year he just happened to be behind Gibbs who is a potential NFL starter and Mason who will most likely play in the NFL too. Injuries played a role too

I bet there are a lot of teams that would love to have Griffin as their primary back. Almost any other year, we would’ve loved to have a back of his caliber transfer in. I mean look how we reacted when we brought in Skov...

GT_EE78

Banned
Sorry if this is a repeat as I haven't read all above.

What is the current ranking of our 2021 recruiting class?
46th nationally and 11th in ACC.
Not impressive, but only considers the HS recruits
GT had 5 transfers who are a good group and fit needs.....
for comparison i looked at other ACC lists. BC and NCSt had 3 and 4 xfers.
most have none -a few have 1 or 2.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
46th nationally and 11th in ACC.
Not impressive, but only considers the HS recruits
GT had 5 transfers who are a good group and fit needs.....
for comparison i looked at other ACC lists. BC and NCSt had 3 and 4 xfers.
most have none -a few have 1 or 2.

Thanks for the context. Pretty good considering the 3 win seasons we've had.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
White and Cochran will be upgrades. The other guys? Folks were touting Ezzard and Clayton the same way. We’ll see how it works. There are reasons Scott, Pendley, and Harris didn’t see playing time. The transfer miss rate is much higher than recruiting misses. Analysts openly admit this, which is why the sites don’t include transfers in class rankings.

Scott was a true freshman who opted out of the season halfway through, anyway. Pendley played some. These guys are coming home because of the pandemic or coaching changes more so than lack of playing time.