National Signing Day Coverage

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't say anything that may in any shape or form come off as criticism of CGC or comparing to CPJ. Even when you're not doing any of that, this dude gets all fired up. He writes some long winded post which he rewords each time in defense of his coach and then accuses you of the same thing he's actually doing. It's quite comical.

BTW I think our OT transfer looks very promising and I'm excited to see him here. I wonder if how we are viewing many of the other transfers, however, the same way GSU may be viewing our QB going there. 4-star recruit, former starter, wanted to move closer to home...

In addition, we aren't the only team benefiting from the transfer exception this year. I'm sure many teams could argue their recruiting class is undervalued for the same reasons.

For all the guys who are excited about the "roster flipping", you can no longer use former coaches players as an excuse if we have another terrible season. I see two lines of scrimmage that have plenty of the type of guys y'all wanted there now.

Finally, if this really is the turning tide for CGC and we start seeing some real success on the field, CGC will look like a genius for his recruiting/marketing efforts. If not, this is all going to look pretty dumb in hind sight. And that's the part I don't look forward to. I think what he's doing is important, but we also need to get everything else up to par as well.
I disagree with your last statement. If CGC does not succeed then he looks bad for not being able to coach the upgraded talent that he brought in. It will not make better marketing/recruiting look dumb. Some fans may not like some if the things he is doing but he is getting the attention of recruits. At the very worse he makes it easier for the next coach to succeed.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with your last statement. If CGC does not succeed then he looks bad for not being able to coach the upgraded talent that he brought in. It will not make better marketing/recruiting look dumb. Some fans may not like some if the things he is doing but he is getting the attention of recruits. At the very worse he makes it easier for the next coach to succeed.
That's more or less what I meant. Sometimes my thoughts and expressions of them don't quite make it out there correctly.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if people would be more excited if we added 2 more 4 stars and 2 more 3 stars to this year's class? That is exactly what we did with the 4 freshman transfers. Those guys did not become worse players during their 6 months on campus at other schools. If any of those guys would have signed with us last year we would have been ecstatic.
Only one of the transfers was from last years class. The rest were all at least redshirt freshman. It’s hard to get quite as excited about guys who were struggling to get playing time elsewhere as guys fresh out of high school with similar ratings.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Only one of the transfers was from last years class. The rest were all at least redshirt freshman. It’s hard to get quite as excited about guys who were struggling to get playing time elsewhere as guys fresh out of high school with similar ratings.
Yea because our talent pool is definitely on the same level as Texas, Bama, and USCe.

So hard to get excited about a 4 star DE who Bama wanted or a 4 star CB (top 150 player if I remember right), that Texas wanted.

Really hard to get excited about a TE recruit turned DE that had almost 20 TFLs and abused a 6’10” OL for UVA.

Really hard to get excited about a starting LT from Vandy who was highly rated as a college player.

I’d much rather pull in a flip from Wofford...some of y’all are just crazy.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
You are right. Still they are freshmen with 4 years of eligibility. I could understand if they were upperclassmen not getting playing time. Just because a freshman, redshirt or true, is not getting major playing time at another school does not mean they will not end up a productive player for us. Too many fans judge freshmen like what they see currently is all they will ever be and a high school recruit is going to automatically be better. I'll take talented kids however we can get them whether high school or transfer.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Get excited. I assure you that it is harder to be in the rotation at Texas, Alabama, SC and Miss State. Then throw in Cochran 32 game starter from Vandy and potential 1-2 year star edge rusher. This is a A really good class with more to come.
With the 16 freshmen and transfers, we are bringing in 10 top 50 current and former Ga high school prospects. As a Tech fan, this is a rare occurrence .

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Get excited. I assure you that it is harder to be in the rotation at Texas, Alabama, SC and Miss State. Then throw in Cochran 32 game starter from Vandy and potential 1-2 year star edge rusher. This is a A really good class with more to come.
With the 16 freshmen and transfers, we are bringing in 10 top 50 current and former Ga high school prospects. As a Tech fan, this is a rare occurrence .
My point was just that getting a highly rated recruit out of high school generates more excitement than getting a previously highly rated recruit who didn’t choose us initially and couldn’t crack the depth chart at the school they did choose. It doesn’t mean they won’t turn into great players here. Transfers never generate all that much excitement unless they are big name QBs stuck behind other big name QBs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Love the marketing. Many of us said for years that Tech was always Atlanta’s original team. That was actually the name I used years ago when I wrote on FTRS. Hope we never let go of the 404. Now we just need to make it synonymous with winning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yea because our talent pool is definitely on the same level as Texas, Bama, and USCe.

So hard to get excited about a 4 star DE who Bama wanted or a 4 star CB (top 150 player if I remember right), that Texas wanted.

Really hard to get excited about a TE recruit turned DE that had almost 20 TFLs and abused a 6’10” OL for UVA.

Really hard to get excited about a starting LT from Vandy who was highly rated as a college player.

Can’t you both be right about this?

Several of you make a good case for this being an exciting class.

But the fact is stars by a name are not a guarantee of success. A 4 star out of high school shows potential. A 4 star in college who could not crack the lineup may still have promise but they don’t have quite the shine as they once did. That may say more about us as fans than about them as players but I think that’s a fact. Lots of 4 star recruits don’t live up to their promise in college. Let’s hope that giving these guys a second chance and a new environment helps them flourish.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Can’t you both be right about this?

Several of you make a good case for this being an exciting class.

But the fact is stars by a name are not a guarantee of success. A 4 star out of high school shows potential. A 4 star in college who could not crack the lineup may still have promise but they don’t have quite the shine as they once did. That may say more about us as fans than about them as players but I think that’s a fact. Lots of 4 star recruits don’t live up to their promise in college. Let’s hope that giving these guys a second chance and a new environment helps them flourish.
Normally I would agree, but these aren't Juniors and seniors that couldn't crack the lineup. They are freshmen who from all indications just wanted to get closer to home.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Normally I would agree, but these aren't Juniors and seniors that couldn't crack the lineup. They are freshmen who from all indications just wanted to get closer to home.
High School recruits get more fan fare than transfers unless you are a Fields type player. In our case this year, getting two freshman who were higher rated than anyone in our class excites me more than a 3 star recruit. There is no shame in not cracking Alabama’s starting line up your redshirt freshman year and by all accounts Watson played well in his action at Texas. Pendley fills a void in our 2019 class where we had no OL recruits, and the white and Cochran are supposed to have draft potential. Add a true freshman DT in a position of need, and I think that’s a very successful transfer class. Only time will tell on how impactful these players will be.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
This obviously isn't set in stone for us or other teams but currently as it stands:

45 teams are ranked ahead of us on 247 by the composite. Of those 45, 21 have transfer(s) listed on their 247 page. Of the 21 only 9 have multiple transfers listed. Of those 9 only one has 4. We have 5 listed, though the real number is 6. Will definitely come back to this post the closer we get to August 2021.

I assume the data is pretty accurate, as it has us as having 5 transfers. Close to the actual amount (6).
Will also start looking at teams ranked behind us to.

Here is the list:

Florida - 1
Michigan - 1
USC - 1
Texas - 2
Arkansas - 1
FSU - 1
Pitt - 1
Nebraska - 2
Mizzu - 1
Minn - 1
NCSU - 3
BC - 4
UCLA - 2
OKSU - 3
MIss S - 3
Kentuky - 1
Mich St - 2
Auburn - 2
Rutgers - 1
Baylor - 1
Cincy - 1
Georgia Tech - 5

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins filled desperate needs in this class. OLine and DLine were necessities and Collins delivered. We needed a strong passing QB and he got one. We needed long athletic DB’s and he got some. We needed receivers to push that whole group forward. Between last years class and this years class we got several to now up the level of play because our receivers were not a strength this year. We didn’t need RB’s so he didn’t take any. Reason is he’s eyeing guys in the 2022 to balance out the roster.

What I like is that he filled needs yet left room to woo next years class (think Woodward QB and RB). The marketing of the 404, ATL is working. Getting Harris and White as transfers is an absolute home run.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

White and Cochran will be upgrades. The other guys? Folks were touting Ezzard and Clayton the same way. We’ll see how it works. There are reasons Scott, Pendley, and Harris didn’t see playing time. The transfer miss rate is much higher than recruiting misses. Analysts openly admit this, which is why the sites don’t include transfers in class rankings.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
White and Cochran will be upgrades. The other guys? Folks were touting Ezzard and Clayton the same way. We’ll see how it works. There are reasons Scott, Pendley, and Harris didn’t see playing time. The transfer miss rate is much higher than recruiting misses. Analysts openly admit this, which is why the sites don’t include transfers in class rankings.
Of course there are reasons why freshmen did not see mich playing time. Same as there are reasons our freshmen did not see much playing time except their original teams have much more talent.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course there are reasons why freshmen did not see mich playing time. Same as there are reasons our freshmen did not see much playing time except their original teams have much more talent.
Harris and Pendley were at Bama and Ms. State for two years. Pendley had minimal playing time and Harris never saw the field. Expecting them to come in and be game changers is anything but certain. Scott was a 3 star, ranked as the 62nd DT in his class. He wouldn’t have been viewed as a star recruit had he signed with us last year.

As I noted, I expect White and Cochran to contribute. The others...we’ll see.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Harris and Pendley were at Bama and Ms. State for two years. Pendley had minimal playing time and Harris never saw the field. Expecting them to come in and be game changers is anything but certain. Scott was a 3 star, ranked as the 62nd DT in his class. He wouldn’t have been viewed as a star recruit had he signed with us last year.

As I noted, I expect White and Cochran to contribute. The others...we’ll see.
I would be excited about any 6'4 300 lb DT that signed with us. I can care less about ratings on DT. Look at their size and then look at their film like with Zeek Biggers.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Ezzard played and had some contributions. He didn’t crack the lineup at Miami but he was redshirting. He had to sit out all of last year. He has 3 years to contribute more. This is the equivalent of calling Dontae Smith a bust after last season.

Clayton was hurt most of the year, but I’ll agree he didn’t have the impact we hoped.

I agree we shouldn’t hype these young transfers to light the world on fire next year, but I think it may be a step too far to write them off for not cracking the starting lineup. Our history is littered with guys who stepped up late in their career, and most on the lines do their best work as upperclassmen.