National Signing Day Coverage

Rankings are going to be a bit misleading with this class since it is smaller (16 commits) and we took 5 transfers who aren't going to count at all. Rivals has us 33rd and 7th.
Wait, you are saying the size of the class affects rankings....so our low ranked 2013 class which had 14 recruits was a result of low numbers......and I have been saying this many years that rankings mean little. It is average stars. But then again, I think rankings mean little as how do you rank an 18 year old, particularly this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Rankings are going to be a bit misleading with this class since it is smaller (16 commits) and we took 5 transfers who aren't going to count at all. Rivals has us 33rd and 7th.
Rankings don't mean much unless you are a uga and keep thinking you are going to win the Championship every year .
If out of these 1/2 are still here their senior year and starters I'll be happy.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, you are saying the size of the class affects rankings....so our low ranked 2013 class which had 14 recruits was a result of low numbers......and I have been saying this many years that rankings mean little. It is average stars. But then again, I think rankings mean little as how do you rank an 18 year old, particularly this year.
I hope you will engage on this, because it is a point people have made many times and takes the average stars concept but makes it better and more specific.

Average stars is an ok proxy but not the best, especially when you have a 5.7 3* vs 5.5 3* (Rivals). On average, there is a big difference in offer lists and upside potential between the two.

But if you want to go with average stars, 2021 outshines 2013:
2021: Based on average stars we finished 6th in the ACC (3.0 on Rivals) and 8th in the ACC (86.13 on 247).
2013: Based on average stars we finished 10th in the ACC (2.71 on Rivals) and 9th in the ACC (83.56 on 247)

And the analysis of these classes ignores the talent infusion we got via transfers this year. It ignores the fact that one of our recruiting advantages, allegedly, is the direct in-person interactions with the coaches, which was rendered moot this year. And ignores that in 2013, per Rivals, only 7 of the 14 recruits were rated 5.6 or higher. Whereas in 2021, 13 of the 16 recruits are 5.6 or higher.

I also believe volume should matter in overall ranking, but I hope you do not focus on this, as the basis of my post is in response to how avg. stars is fairly shallow in and of itself when there is better data available.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
In certain down and distance situations do we end up playing some of these DEs inside? Any one have a feel for that, seems some of you know what CGC likes to do with his defenses.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Team ranking is determined by adding all the players rankings of the class together. Fewer commits does cause a lower ranking, but at the same time having a lot of commits that aren’t ranked high doesn’t boost it too much. For example VT is only like 1 point ahead of us with 8 more commits. The 2013 70th ranked class had only 3 less signees and was Drastically lower.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we bring in a kicker last year that was hurt all year?
We brought in 3 kickers and I heard that the favorite to win the job got hurt. I still would like to see Stewart get more of a shot next year. He finished the season very strong.