Nathan Cottrell accepted to GT Bldg Construction Grad School (Link)

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just the 1st year, Common First Year, in College of Arch. At least that's how it used to be

BC is no longer an undergraduate major. It was dropped in 2012. (Or apparently, "deactivated": http://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/building-construction-bs/) It is now a graduate program mainly focusing on Facilities Management and undergrads can get a Certificate, but that is it. The majority of the BC curriculum got pulled into Civil Engineering.

Animal02

Banned
BC is no longer an undergraduate major. It was dropped in 2012. (Or apparently, "deactivated": http://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/building-construction-bs/) It is now a graduate program mainly focusing on Facilities Management and undergrads can get a Certificate, but that is it. The majority of the BC curriculum got pulled into Civil Engineering.
That is too bad.....thought it was a great program, sort of splitting the middle between Architecture and Engineering with regard to the building industry. I wonder if it had something to do with the change to the "College of Design" (which makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Wow...that's such a shame. GT put out some of the best BC undergrads in the nation. I have many friends that graduated from that program that are doing extremely well at mega construction companies, or on their own. You can't go to a construction firm in the Southeast without a GT grad among their ranks.

I feel that if GT starts doing things like this, schools like UGA/GA Southern/KSU (formerly Southern Poly) can or will start taking advantage of this and even Clemson will start chipping away at GT's strengths. Someone posted an article recently about how GT is becoming "too elite". I think "deactivating" programs like undergrad BC kinda proves the critics correct. BC isn't as prestigious as our engineering programs, but it's an important program that has churned out some great GT graduates that have gone on to become key figures in the industry. On a selfish GT sports note, I know a LOT of former GT BC undergrads LOVE GT sports and support our programs. It's just more fan support GT is losing in the future.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
BC was the only reason I got out! They did a terrible job of promoting the program, though. I started out Undecided Engineering and spent a quarter as a Management major until I happened to be flipping through the catalog one day and found it. It was the industry I wanted to get into, and did not have to get as technical as the CE's. We only had to go through Calc 3 (CE required Calc 5 and Diff EQ's), Physics without calculus (football physics!), but we had Architecture History, Structures, Materials (Wood/Steel/Concrete design), Project Management, etc. If someone at MaTech today that wanted to get into Construction or Development, I would recommend going Management with a focus on finance and get the Certificate in BC. Also summer internship at a construction company in town.

There are still a lot of GT BC's in Atlanta, but we are being overrun by Auburn, Florida, Clemson, & Georgia Southern grads. Seeing some KSU grads too. Those are all pretty good programs, though.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Wouldn’t surprise me to find out the uga-centric BOR saw this as a great benefit for our athletic program and killed it.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wouldn’t surprise me to find out the uga-centric BOR saw this as a great benefit for our athletic program and killed it.

There was only 1 or 2 football players in the program when I was there. We had 3 hour labs generally at the same time FB had practices, so it made it very difficult to fit into their schedules. That seemed to be the biggest deterrence at the time.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There was only 1 or 2 football players in the program when I was there. We had 3 hour labs generally at the same time FB had practices, so it made it very difficult to fit into their schedules. That seemed to be the biggest deterrence at the time.

Let’s not let facts get in the way of a good rant here.