Nate Woody . . .

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When I wrote executive multi year compensation packages, we had language that would severely limit this type of relationship.
To hire an executive that averages 500K for an alleged 30k assignment would trigger letters to both parties. The intent of the agreements were for helping get a similar $ position at a company differnt area of service. That said it may no telling what goes on in college coaching.

I really liked him and the defense that started to implement.
I just wish he would have just started with full pressure as I hope cgc does in 19.
Am I misremembering or did not Al Groh take a smaller annual salary at Tech after he was fired at Virginia, meaning the bulk of his income was from Virginia, and then get a big payout after Gailey's buyout was paid out. (And if you can make any sense of this tell me what I said.) How that all might relate to what you are saying I am not sure, but I see your point.)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Congratulations to Nate. He was my favorite DC hire of the CPJ era.

Yeah I wish we had gotten him a few years earlier to see what he could have done. I think the philosophy switch was an intelligent one. Give up shorter drives whether they’re points, stops, or turnovers to magnify TOP imbalance and requiring a smaller DL gives us a better chance to recruit effectively. It made a lot of sense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Was curious about how Nate Woody was doing these days. For those that remember, went to Michigan as a defensive analyst after he left here, and was named Army's DC for this season.

Currently, Army has the #30 FEI defense. #2 Total defense, and #2 scoring defense in the nation according to NCAA.

Overall, Army's is fielding a superb defense under Woody by pretty much every defensive metric. It's even more impressive considering it's Army SAs he has to scheme with.

Michigan just let go of their DC Don Brown, who was at one time considered one of the top defensive minds in the nation. Brown is similar to Jon Tenuta in a sense that he never added to adjusted his defensive schemes and teams started to pick him apart. Woody is now being mentioned as a candidate.

I really wish Woody would have come 5 years earlier in CPJ's tenure. He just didn't have the time to get his guys in for his scheme. Sounds like it will work out well for him though. You do well at the academies, and schools will come calling.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Woody played with my brother in law at Wofford so we’ve always followed his career. I wish he had come to GT earlier but also think this is one that CGC should have considered retaining. I’m pretty sure our D would have been better the last two seasons

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Was curious about how Nate Woody was doing these days. For those that remember, went to Michigan as a defensive analyst after he left here, and was named Army's DC for this season.

Currently, Army has the #30 FEI defense. #2 Total defense, and #2 scoring defense in the nation according to NCAA.

Overall, Army's is fielding a superb defense under Woody by pretty much every defensive metric. It's even more impressive considering it's Army SAs he has to scheme with.

Michigan just let go of their DC Don Brown, who was at one time considered one of the top defensive minds in the nation. Brown is similar to Jon Tenuta in a sense that he never added to adjusted his defensive schemes and teams started to pick him apart. Woody is now being mentioned as a candidate.

I really wish Woody would have come 5 years earlier in CPJ's tenure. He just didn't have the time to get his guys in for his scheme. Sounds like it will work out well for him though. You do well at the academies, and schools will come calling.

Army's D has been for a few years now under Jay Bateman and John Loose. They are doing something right up there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Army's D has been for a few years now under Jay Bateman and John Loose. They are doing something right up there.

Yup. Monken has chosen well, but Monken has also been a good HC overall on both sides. His teams defensive prowess often gets overshadowed by his offense, but you're not successful like he is if you don't play good defense.

Schools around the country (looking at you Illinois and Vanderbilt) made a BIG mistake not taking him into consideration.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Monken has chosen well, but Monken has also been a good HC overall on both sides. His teams defensive prowess often gets overshadowed by his offense, but you're not successful like he is if you don't play good defense.

Schools around the country (looking at you Illinois and Vanderbilt) made a BIG mistake not taking him into consideration.
The sad but probably accurate truth is that P5 schools will never hire a triple O coach because you can't recruit to that offense. (And before somebody goes off, I love it even as I acknowledge its fatal flaw. The triple option itself remains the most gorgeous offensive play in football, and nothing is second.) QBs with aspirations are never playing for an offense that gets them hammered on almost every play, and lets them throw half a dozen times at most. Running backs, the premium, 5-star blue chippers, aren't coming to an offense that will either put them at fullback to get hammered along with the QB, or at "A" back where they will touch the ball maybe four times a game. It has nothing to do with selfishness, but a desire to have a chance to do what you do.

Then, unless fans are absolutely committed to the run game, attendance begins to fall, and that is tickets, concessions, parking, programs, souvenirs, etc.

Count the number of QBs Johnson had in 10 years who could throw the ball. One. (Justin Thomas, and even he admitted he knew nothing about technique, he just grabbed the ball and threw it.) Count the A backs who were game changers. One. (Orwin Smith, the guy who looked slow but who could get to the edge on the sweep better than anybody.) Fullbacks? Several good ones. Clemson, Georgia, South Carolina and the North Carolina schools liked recruiting against Johnson because of the offense. Not so much Collins, though he is not in Johnson's class as a coach, but runs a more conventional offense, and we can see that in his recruiting results. He won't get those pursued by Clemson or Georgia but otherwise he is in the hunt.

As for Monken, he has done the best coaching job in football for several years, and has never been a contender for coach of the year. It apparently is the offense because there is no excuse otherwise. He took the job promising to beat Army -- and got a rousing, standing ovation when he said it -- and has made a habit of it. Against Navy his defense was outstanding, again, and he threw one time but shut them out. Navy, meantime, has gimmicked up its triple option and suffered for it. Even Army was running a bit of pistol in that game.

I have always thought Georgia Tech, and Johnson, began its decline when Monken went to Georgia Southern. Johnson never seemed to have his mojo after that, and never had the same relationship with another assistant coach. It is a long way to say Monken is an Army guy for life. And why not? He can recruit 200 players if he can get them in school, and Army would make him a general if he wanted except it would be a huge pay cut.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Part of those stats is how well army manages the clock as well. Lower number of possessions usually means lower number of points. One of the many reasons why the offense they run is so successful, with a QB that can run it.