Nate Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
has taken an experienced but previously underwhelming Dline, a talented but inexperienced secondary, and a revolving door at LB and made us one of the top turnover-creating D’s in the country. A far-cry from most years under Roof. We’re still giving up too many points, but seemingly getting better each week. How do y’all feel about CNW’s D? Are we ahead, behind, or about where you thought we’d be defensively at this point?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The offense and special teams put the D in some bad spots on Saturday. I also think we have a few young guys who will be/could be all conference players in a few years.

/
Carpenter, J. Thomas, C. Thomas, both Swillings, Jackson, and Oliver are all going to be studs and they are all only Fr and So. The only place where the upperclassmen are outplaying the underclassmen is on the DLine. Branch, ASA, KCH, and Adams have all been solid this year.

He has exceeded my expectations. Sat for the first time in a while we put pressure on QB routinely. Forced them into making bad decisions. We've not seen that for some time. Tackling has gotten better as the year has gone on. Nate has earned his pay check this year so far and I really don't see that changing. They may a slightly be above avg defense before the year is over.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things.

1. Creating turnovers is not a reliable defense. While some are actual forced turnovers, like hitting the QB from behind and creating a sack or a great break for an INT, others are just pure luck, like a QB hitting the back of his OLmen's head on a screen, or just dumb plays by the opponent (trying to throw the ball while getting sacked, or running a reverse wr pass who chooses to throw into double coverage), or against backups when nothing is really on the line. Are they nice? Sure, but they aren't reliable. Keep in mind we forced over 2 TOs a game in 2014 with Roof as well. Luck is just too much of a factor for it to be reliable.

2. Concerning Sacks. We had a much higher sack/game in 2013 under Roof and similar in both 2014 and last year. Keep in mind that prior to the duke game we were sitting at 1.33 per game. That would be better only than one year of Roof's. Now maybe the Duke game means things are starting to click. Maybe it means it was a one game wonder. Last year we had 3 sacks against Miami. Year before 5 against VT. Year before that 3 against FSU. So forth and so on. Now if they continue to get 3+ sacks a game going foreward then it means something.

3. Compared to last year we are giving up more yards per play, more yards per game,and more points per game. In fact our current ppg is worse than it ever was under Roof, and while you can point to ST and TOs, rightfully so, those were also issues with Roof.

All in all don't make the same mistake people did concerning our offense and think that just because we had one game with lots of sacks and turnovers that it means things have turned the corner. This is still the same defense that played against USF, Clemson, and UL. There is a decent base to build on but it's far to early to be saying it's been a great job because of more or less one game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He has exceeded my expectations. Sat for the first time in a while we put pressure on QB routinely. Forced them into making bad decisions. We've not seen that for some time. Tackling has gotten better as the year has gone on. Nate has earned his pay check this year so far and I really don't see that changing. They may a slightly be above avg defense before the year is over.
When they went to run in second half, we couldnt tackle the delayed run. Lb did better but still have room.

Hope to see 3 make some contact. He's big and fast but not eager for contact. Lots of potential.

Like how Nate let's the guys swarm on several plays.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A couple of things.

1. Creating turnovers is not a reliable defense. While some are actual forced turnovers, like hitting the QB from behind and creating a sack or a great break for an INT, others are just pure luck, like a QB hitting the back of his OLmen's head on a screen, or just dumb plays by the opponent (trying to throw the ball while getting sacked, or running a reverse wr pass who chooses to throw into double coverage), or against backups when nothing is really on the line. Are they nice? Sure, but they aren't reliable. Keep in mind we forced over 2 TOs a game in 2014 with Roof as well. Luck is just too much of a factor for it to be reliable.

2. Concerning Sacks. We had a much higher sack/game in 2013 under Roof and similar in both 2014 and last year. Keep in mind that prior to the duke game we were sitting at 1.33 per game. That would be better only than one year of Roof's. Now maybe the Duke game means things are starting to click. Maybe it means it was a one game wonder. Last year we had 3 sacks against Miami. Year before 5 against VT. Year before that 3 against FSU. So forth and so on. Now if they continue to get 3+ sacks a game going foreward then it means something.

3. Compared to last year we are giving up more yards per play, more yards per game,and more points per game. In fact our current ppg is worse than it ever was under Roof, and while you can point to ST and TOs, rightfully so, those were also issues with Roof.

All in all don't make the same mistake people did concerning our offense and think that just because we had one game with lots of sacks and turnovers that it means things have turned the corner. This is still the same defense that played against USF, Clemson, and UL. There is a decent base to build on but it's far to early to be saying it's been a great job because of more or less one game.

All very good points. And this is just an eyeball thing for me with no data to back it. But imo our Dis getting more penetration into the backfield and creating more pressure and negative plays. Typically when that happens good things like more turnovers happen also.

But yeah, we still have a long way to go to get where we want.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
has taken an experienced but previously underwhelming Dline, a talented but inexperienced secondary, and a revolving door at LB and made us one of the top turnover-creating D’s in the country. A far-cry from most years under Roof. We’re still giving up too many points, but seemingly getting better each week. How do y’all feel about CNW’s D? Are we ahead, behind, or about where you thought we’d be defensively at this point?

Much better. Does his best with what he has been given. Need to recruit more linemen and linebackers. Got to have more speed at linebacker.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Y'all kill me with these 'name only' thread titles. When will y'all learn that usually means something bad? :p

I'm beyond pleased with our DC. Especially when you consider he's unlearning bad habits, teaching better ones and doing it all with the same personnel.

I actually saw a corner blitz get completely televised pre-snap but still get to the QB in time to cause a turnover. That blew my mind.

There are a few personnel changes I think need to be made but overall he's done a good job.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Y'all kill me with these 'name only' thread titles. When will y'all learn that usually means something bad? :p

I'm beyond pleased with our DC. Especially when you consider he's unlearning bad habits, teaching better ones and doing it all with the same personnel.

I actually saw a corner blitz get completely televised pre-snap but still get to the QB in time to cause a turnover. That blew my mind.

There are a few personnel changes I think need to be made but overall he's done a good job.
Coach Woody has worked his arse off with the defense and it's starting to make a difference. I hope he gets to stay as GT DC for the long term no matter who the head coach will wind up being in the future.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of things.

Great points, need to see improvement in some areas. Also remember that CNW has consistently caused turnovers and created havoc as a DC, that’s what we hired him for, and that’s what we’re seeing. Agree that some turnovers are luck, 2014 was Roof’s lucky year, that was 1 year out of 5 when his guys were able to create some (I think we caused 5 fumbles in the first half against Pitt that season). But if your coordinator is known for creating turnovers, is 7 games in, and we’re in the top 10 in causing them, you have to have hope that that part of the defense might not be a fluke. Duke had only turned it over twice all year (?) and we forced 3 and were close on a couple more.

If I remember correctly, in 2013, we moved Attouchou to DE from OLB and he had a slow start to the season and then caught fire the second half as he got more comfortable in the new 4-3. Would love to see ASA do the same, he’s really come on the last 2 weeks. Hoping we’re turning the corner with pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.