Nate McCollom's effort

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan

This play and effort by Nate McCollom has to be one of the greatest efforts I have ever seen by a GT college football player. At the beginning of the video, Nate is in the slot or split out wide (I can't quite tell which Nate is) and he managed to run this guy down. As awful as the CGC era has been and he deserves to be fired on Monday, I want to commend #8's efforts in addition to the other wide receiver who also ran the entire length of the field.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
It's too bad there wasn't a better wide angle to see how much distance he closed. I think he was 10 or 15 yards back plus on the other side of the field. That's a crazy distance to close.

But watch again to see how slow their Defensive Lineman was. He was running in quicksand. He saw Nate and didn't react. Their #5 was in a position to make a block but wanted to celebrate early. Their #4 was pointing to Nate but nobody listening.

I'm happy to see the hustle. Would have been easy to just jog.

/

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
It's too bad there wasn't a better wide angle to see how much distance he closed. I think he was 10 or 15 yards back plus on the other side of the field. That's a crazy distance to close.

But watch again to see how slow their Defensive Lineman was. He was running in quicksand. He saw Nate and didn't react. Their #5 was in a position to make a block but wanted to celebrate early. Their #4 was pointing to Nate but nobody listening.

/
I'm dusting off my old slide ruler to calculate how much further Nate ran than the LB did! :D

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan

/
So true, Nate should get a NFL free agent contract if not drafted, solely on his heart and competitiveness!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
For as frustrating as the coaching is, this team has pride and fights. I just hope we can get these young men the right leader to help them get some wins. They deserve it.
McCollum's play was incredible. Kid has huge heart. Unfortunately, not many following his lead it seems. I think you have 5-6 players that are all in & probably another 15-20 that are giving effort. The rest are going thru the motions, some are not even pretending despite getting called out for loafing in some cases.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
McCollum's play was incredible. Kid has huge heart. Unfortunately, not many following his lead it seems. I think you have 5-6 players that are all in & probably another 15-20 that are giving effort. The rest are going thru the motions, some are not even pretending despite getting called out for loafing in some cases.
Let's hope the change in HC and whatever other changes are officially made tomorrow provides a spark to this moribund season and stewardship under Collins. If nothing else, go out and have fun guys and maybe we salvage a couple more wins. And for the underclassmen, look ahead to new leadership.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

This play and effort by Nate McCollom has to be one of the greatest efforts I have ever seen by a GT college football player. At the beginning of the video, Nate is in the slot or split out wide (I can't quite tell which Nate is) and he managed to run this guy down. As awful as the CGC era has been and he deserves to be fired on Monday, I want to commend #8's efforts in addition to the other wide receiver who also ran the entire length of the field.

This is what Key should play at his first team meeting as the standard he expects.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

/
There was a wider angle replay during the broadcast where you could see Nate on the outside of the opposite hash and at that point he was still about 5-10 yards back or more.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There was a wider angle replay during the broadcast where you could see Nate on the outside of the opposite hash and at that point he was still about 5-10 yards back or more.
Yeah he ran right by us and he was probably 10 yds behind and needed to cover another 10-15 yds to cross the field. It was quite a play. He made up almost 25 yds on the dude who only had to run about 75 yds to get to the endzone. All the while everyone thought the play was probably dead due to incomplete pass. Nate hustled anyway.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I also thought of DJ White’s play from 2014 as that play unfolded. Lot of pride in that moment, both then and now.

I find it interesting to think of the significance of Nate’s play when it comes to the team’s current zeitgeist. While I have no insider knowledge, it’s often seemed like many of our players have just quit when the going gets tough.

(And god knows, the going has been tough quite often.)

As it stands, this is the sort of determination, heart, attitude, and effort our entire team - hell, our entire fanbase - should aspire to every week in competition, every day in practice. I look forward to the day when it graduates from an aspiration to a standard.

Well done, Nate. Wherever he may be, if DT was watching, I’m confident he was doing it with an ear-to-ear smile, and a whole heap of pride that you were wearing his number in the white and gold.