Nate McCollom to UNC

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Unc has way more donations and ticket sales and likeky NIL.

We are near the bottom in $$ from alumni and the hill does restrict upperclassmen transfers more than most of our competition who have many degree programs.

Structural disadvantage of superchigh academics and limited courses means we need more $$$.

We will see our top guys leave so they can play football at $$ program and exercise to make a run at nfl draft.

Ever rebuilding unless we get change.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Already have issues with the portal, and I'm growing more and more frustrated at NIL being reasons for kids transferring. I'm all for them getting compensation, if it was fair across the board
Best of luck to him, just wish it wasn't because of NIL and also going to a team we play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gt hill will not allow transfers of rising junior or seniors because it will lessen the value of gt. Credits will not transfer.
We have way smaller donations and ticket sales.

We have stopped the stupid, but the long term trend will be down unless we find a way to freely bring in upperclassmen in the portal.
Every single school in the US requires a minimum of the final 3 semesters on campus (and most 4 semesters) to graduate as an undergrad. Those that come in as upperclassmen will not finish in 1 or 2 years.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t seen anything sketch on Rutherford. You never know these days but I’d be pretty surprised if he left. He was big on keeping Key and was stoked in the video where they told the players he was getting the job.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Every single school in the US requires a minimum of the final 3 semesters on campus (and most 4 semesters) to graduate as an undergrad. Those that come in as upperclassmen will not finish in 1 or 2 years.
Credits from schools transfer into everyone but gt, harvard ...

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Continues to live in Josh Downs shadow.

We only took McCollum in 2020 because we lost out on Downs to UNC. Now when Downs leaves for the NFL, McCollum goes to fill his spot at UNC.
You sound like you don’t think Nate was a stud. He was by far our best offensive player last year.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
You sound like you don’t think Nate was a stud. He was by far our best offensive player last year.
2022 stats
Downs...94 Rec for 1029 yards and 11 TD's

McCollum...60 receptions for 655 yards and 3 TD's

One of these guys is going to be a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft pick, the other is transferring to UNC.

None of that was the point of my original post though, it does drive the point home. At every step of the way Downs was/is a more desirable player than McCollum. Now McCollum is going to try and be a poor man's Downs at UNC, instead of a #1 WR and loved member of Georgia Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is UNC football really on a higher level in terms of NIL potential? It's not a step up in competition. Just seems strange to make a relatively lateral move like this.

It may have to do more with the uncertainty right now at OC and QB at GT...along with NIL opportunities, of course. For as good as Zach Pyron looked, he's still going to have to battle it out to win the QB position under the new staff. No one really knows what we're getting from the offensive staff yet, but we can make educated guesses. While at UNC:

As a GT fan, of course I want Nate to stay. Trying to be objective, Drake Maye is one of the top QBs in the nation next year and a potential 1st round draft pick. There will be scouts all over Chapel Hill and that means NFL eyeballs watching Nate as well. Nate won't get that kind of exposure at GT unfortunately.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
2022 stats

One of these guys is going to be a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft pick, the other is transferring to UNC.

None of that was the point of my original post though, it does drive the point home. At every step of the way Downs was/is a more desirable player than McCollum. Now McCollum is going to try and be a poor man's Downs at UNC, instead of a #1 WR and loved member of Georgia Tech.
With Maye throwing him the ball if they stay healthy his numbers will likely be much better next season.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
2022 stats

These kids are just making business decisions. We've got big ?? at QB regarding health, this Co-OC system we're going to run, etc. The days of 4+ yr GT players are largely over until we become a highly desired destination again. Hopefully that's not too long in the future. Nate's just doing what he feels he needs to do to improve his draft stock. He found a place to focus 100% on football without having to be distracted by playing school.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With Maye throwing him the ball if they stay healthy his numbers will likely be much better next season.

Honestly, with as bad as we were on offense last season, I'm really surprised Nate put up those numbers. Now project that kind of production to go with a potential NFL 1st round draft pick at QB...well, it's a good business decision for Nate. Hate losing that kind of talent, but the onus is on GT and Key to give our SAs a reason to stay in this era of open transfers and NIL.