Nashville Regional - Vandy, Ga Tech, Indiana St, Presbyterian

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's something in this interview (you have to watch... not just listen) that really made me laugh. I won't spoil it... see if you notice. (Yes... I'm easily entertained)

On serious note, CDH talks about how decisions were made regarding Hurter.

Won't spoil it either. Had to check who we played in the title at first..

Hall is right that we were fortunate Hurter only gave up four.

Good stats from @CINCYMETJACKET on Leiter. Thanks for the hope. Grissom gives me hope too. As Hall said, everyone is available tomorrow except Hurter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the Warren Nolan projection for today's game. We have about a 1/3 chance to win :( but beats the hell out of being where uGag is :) https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/predict-winners
1622904150477.png

And @Dan the Chemist buried us yesterday prematurely; but at the time we had an in-game ~5% chance to win on Warren Nolan. So he would have been right 19 of 20 times or so ....... I hadn't given up but was planning today's activities with a mid-day game in mind. I much more expected us to claw back a few runs an inning and go to B9 needing another several run walk off. I'll take a no walk off win every day.

Today, Grissom has to be efficient at getting outs. While his pitch count per game has been going up - (dude played his first game on 13 April!) he has to get them out faster. I expect Vandy to make him throw strikes and foul off to extend counts exactly as NC State did.

1622904569982.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A clear advantage for Indiana State pitching to not have to get 3 more outs, yes. Saved at least 1 pitcher for them for later in the tournament. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us tomorrow, when they have that extra pitcher to throw against us or Vandy.

Another advantage for Indiana State is having 21 vice 15 hours between games.

Yesterday 10 of 13 #1 seeds I looked at, selected playing their game in the earlier game. Thank you to Vandy to giving us extra time to chill and prepare last night. Very genteel.

I'm not worried about anything other than winning tonight. If we do great, that will somewhat neutralize Vandy's pitching advantage. If we lose, then we and Indiana State (up 4-0 and still batting B1) will carve up each others pitching staffs and not have much of a chance to take 2 (or 1) from Vandy.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Another advantage for Indiana State is having 21 vice 15 hours between games.

Yesterday 10 of 13 #1 seeds I looked at, selected playing their game in the earlier game. Thank you to Vandy to giving us extra time to chill and prepare last night. Very genteel.

I'm not worried about anything other than winning tonight. If we do great, that will somewhat neutralize Vandy's pitching advantage. If we lose, then we and Indiana State (up 4-0 and still batting B1) will carve up each others pitching staffs and not have much of a chance to take 2 (or 1) from Vandy.
I'm not sure time between games matters as much when you're talking about 15 versus 21 hours. These are young men in the prime of their lives. Yes, if you play a game and have to play another one an hour later, fatigue could be a factor. But when you're talking about playing at 7 pm on Friday and coming back at 7 pm or 1 pm on Saturday/Sunday. They've done that all year. Some conferences (not sure about Indiana State or Presbyterian's conference) will play double headers on Saturday and/or Sunday.

Yeah, if I exerted as much energy as these kids do during a game at my age and fitness level, I'd want to sleep for 12 - 15 hours and have a few hours to regain my senses afterward. But these are 17 to 22 year olds. They're ready to go.