1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Name the Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by Whiskey_Clear, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

What name will America choose to name the current government shutdown?

The Trump Shutdown?

The Schumer Shutdown?

*warning, this may be viewed as an intelligence test*

2. collegeballfan

collegeballfan Helluva Engineer

How about Walter Mitty?
    Democrats used the "Nuclear Option" to placed many judges in the federal court system.
    Republicans used the "Nuclear Option" to place Justice Gorsuch on the Court.
    Republicans declined to use the "Nuclear Option" to pass the Continuing Resolution last night.

3. MikeJackets1967

MikeJackets1967 Helluva Engineer

The Illegal Alien Shutdown

4. melloace

melloace Helluva Engineer

According to Trump in 2013 it's the person at the tops fault and you name it after the person in charge.

5. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

But that was then.................

6. melloace

melloace Helluva Engineer

Kind of a running theme with both parties lately. Complain, complain, and complain about things the other party does in office and then proceed to do the same things they complained about. Examples the above with Trump, golf trips, and forcing through legislation without time to read it.

7. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

In 2013, Schumer called it the politics of idiocy what Republicans were doing. He then said it would be the same if Democrats shut down the government over immigration.

The difference is, of course, that the Obamacare issue in 2013 was actually about government spending.

8. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Dems own this one flat out. They can point their fingers all they want...and mainstream media can try and deflect for them...but they own it.

It’s up to the GOP to point out the facts of this one though or the public might blame them regardless. And the GOP is so incompetent in messaging that is actually a possibility.

9. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

ep. John Yarmuth, a Kentucky Democrat, told reporters that the House Democratic leadership team concluded at their meeting Friday night there would be a government shutdown and the group expected it to last through early next week.
    "I think it is almost 100% likely that the government will shut down for some period of time -- now my guess is it won't go past the first of the week -- in which the disruption won't be particularly severe," said Yarmuth, the top Democrat on the House Budget Committee.
    Pelosi gave a very brief overview to the leadership team of what Schumer told her about his meeting with the President. According to Yarmuth, Schumer laid out what his priorities are and the President said he wanted the Senate to pass the House bill. Asked why the meeting lasted so long, he quipped, "Well, Trump repeats himself, that's what I understand."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/government-shutdown-trump-congress-latest/index.html

10. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Schumer's Folly

or

Illegal Aliens Over America Shutdown

or

Future Democrat Propagation Over What's Best For America (this name is too long to catch on)

#1 Why are we even having to do ANOTHER partial funding ?
    #2 Why are we "closing down" the government over Illegals in the country?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  11. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

How about Shysters Shutdown ****heads, America Wins!

12. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Long term this plays out in one of two ways imo. Either Dems get blamed and take a political hit. Or shutdowns will lose a large degree of political significance in the future.

How the shutdown is andministered by Trump, and how long the Dems continue the shutdown, will decide the matter.

The negative fallout will hit the Dems hardest. Trump is positioned on higher ground. So I predict the shutdown will be short lived.

awbuzz likes this.
  13. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

I don't need to give it a name but if you claim you are a great deal maker, your party holds both chambers of congress, and you have said in the past that the President is to blame for shutdowns, then I am going to expect you to get something done. Right now he isn't.

14. herb

herb Helluva Engineer

How about #proofthattherearewaytoomanygovernementemplyeesshutdwonandwhentheyareshutdownnooneevennoticesthatanythingismissing

15. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Shutdown Republican Hate.

16. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Do you understand how the budget process works? Or are you just trolling.
    Hint... Does the number 60 mean anything when discussing the Senate and Bills?

17. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Yetwethetaxpayerwillmakebackpaymentstopayforworknotdone.

herb likes this.
  18. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

We should stop hating Americans. These politicians need to understand what country they’re representing. We’ve got the equivalent of the GT Admissions Office rooting for the mutts on a national level.

Growing up in the post-Eisenhower era it astounds me that the Marxists are such a powerful force in America again. We need a significant overhaul of our educational system. I’m becoming increasing convinced many do not even understand the ideologies they’re espousing.

Is it really contentious politically to assert that we should adhere to our constitutional principles? If so we should eradicate our constitution and develop a touchy feely version that provides everything for the selected people in need every time they want it regardless of how many rights we need to deprive the Americans we seemingly hate because they either work too hard and become successful, advocate obeying the laws, generate too many jobs, protect our nation, pay almost all of our taxes or God forbid are religious.

bwelbo, JacketGirl and awbuzz like this.
  19. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Lol

20. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

I know how it works very well. I know about cloture and filibusters. I also know that there will need to be some kind of deal made between both parties to get something passed here. I know that the president asked for a bipartisan deal, and he got one from Graham and Durbin. He proceeded to ignore it. Now there is no deal and he doesn't appear to be doing anything to create this deal other than complaining on twitter.