Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
This screws over schools like GT with harder admission requirements since we can’t get pwo or anything as easily as say uGA or Bama. This screws us hard because we can’t just have anyone walk on. They still have to make it in. At uGA if you can so much as count to 3 you’re a friggen rocket scientist.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like there are no longer any NCAA scholarship limitations either

And as we all predicted it's the big factory schools that are paving the way like.....BYU

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Next to go will be APR, then attending classes altogether. These are professional athletes now, academics are completely irrelevant to 99% of these guys and arguing a 40 yr decision vs a school that will set you up with NIL deals for hundreds of thousands if not millions is rapidly becoming a lost cause. Its so easy to provide a legal reason to pay players openly now.

Amateur college football has been destroyed at this level, its just professionals doing their job and going elsewhere when they aren't succeeding or want to get paid more, just like the rest of us. The team doesn't matter, the school doesn't matter, its all about the individual success. And a scholarship holds no more value then the coupons on the back of your grocery receipt.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Looks like there are no longer any NCAA scholarship limitations either

Does this mean Dodd loses again? Alabama can go back to stockpiling players and even have 200 players on the roster if they want.
Next to go will be APR, then attending classes altogether. These are professional athletes now, academics are completely irrelevant to 99% of these guys and arguing a 40 yr decision vs a school that will set you up with NIL deals for hundreds of thousands if not millions is rapidly becoming a lost cause. Its so easy to provide a legal reason to pay players openly now.

Amateur college football has been destroyed at this level, its just professionals doing their job and going elsewhere when they aren't succeeding or want to get paid more, just like the rest of us. The team doesn't matter, the school doesn't matter, its all about the individual success. And a scholarship holds no more value then the coupons on the back of your grocery receipt.
This is a bleak assessment but I can’t think of a single strong argument against it. I suppose that young kids who love the bulldogs, for instance, will still make decisions in high school based on that childhood feeling but it will only take 5 years, at most, of NILs being in place before all that “dear old U” stuff is forgotten forever.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
If the kid has a brand and can attract clicks on social media then they gonna eat no matter the team. Clicks matter. Kids who want to build their brands will do so and GT is a good space to do so.

Few, if any, of these kids have “brand”. They are kids. Fresh out of high school, haven’t accomplished anything in any real sense. They are over-glorified athletes who to this point can only run, throw, jump and kick.

The reason NIL is blowing up has nothing at all to do with the kids .. the identification of the benefactor to the INSTITUTION. The team. The colors. It’s the advertisement via the institution.

This is the insidiousness of NIL which is that it has little to do with benefacting the kids, but while being a significant distraction to their development as a person.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Few, if any, of these kids have “brand”. They are kids. Fresh out of high school, haven’t accomplished anything in any real sense. They are over-glorified athletes who to this point can only run, throw, jump and kick.

The reason NIL is blowing up has nothing at all to do with the kids .. the identification of the benefactor to the INSTITUTION. The team. The colors. It’s the advertisement via the institution.

This is the insidiousness of NIL which is that it has little to do with benefacting the kids, but while being a significant distraction to their development as a person.
Some kids fresh out of high school are receiving million dollar NILs. Over glorified athletes? And that’s what athletes do. Run throw jump kick catch.

That doesn’t benefact that kid? I’ll gladly take a million and not develop as a person

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Some kids fresh out of high school are receiving million dollar NILs. Over glorified athletes? And that’s what athletes do. Run throw jump kick catch.

That doesn’t benefact that kid? I’ll gladly take a million and not develop as a person
I mean, sure, this is America and it’s all for one, and none for the rest, mentality. I get that.
It speaks MONUMENTALLY to the character of a person who would take the easy, unearned cash. No person of self-worth, anyway.

The issue is that most will receive nowhere near this sum, while at the same time the potential is constantly dangled in front of them. It is a near predetermined pipe dream.
And so instead of perusing the purpose of college and preparation for the future they will chase only the dream of short term money.

Or, as you described yourself, sufficient to take the million and not develop as a person?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I mean, sure, this is America and it’s all for one, and none for the rest, mentality. I get that.
It speaks MONUMENTALLY to the character of a person who would take the easy, unearned cash. No person of self-worth, anyway.

The issue is that most will receive nowhere near this sum, while at the same time the potential is constantly dangled in front of them. It is a near predetermined pipe dream.
And so instead of perusing the purpose of college and preparation for the future they will chase only the dream of short term money.

Or, as you described yourself, sufficient to take the million and not develop as a person?

That's a pretty harsh take. The other side of that is these guys have worked hard for years honing their talents and skills and now are able to monetize it. Fairly similar to the argument we make academically that one out of six of our graduates is a millionaire. That's eerily similar to "work hard and cash in..."

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
JT Daniels just signed a massive deal with Zaxbys. Other than summer internships, where is the Atlanta market picking up our guys?. NIL is a losing proposition for Tech because we don't own the Atlanta market. The only way to stem this is to win.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a pretty harsh take. The other side of that is these guys have worked hard for years honing their talents and skills and now are able to monetize it. Fairly similar to the argument we make academically that one out of six of our graduates is a millionaire. That's eerily similar to "work hard and cash in..."
Come on now: as is often said in Recruit threads these guys are kids. They haven‘t worked for “years” in the life’s big picture and really have contributed nothing in the greater good. They are primarily worthy only because of their DNA-gifted attributes — not effort (yeah.. let’s be clear.. a 5’8” guy giving the same EFFORT is not likely to be in the conversation). And most of them will fail in the next couple years and be forgotten by all of us. But, of course, they are just kids whom we excuse for their youthful misgivings. The contradiction is staggering.

And, I’ll just repeat what I’ve said previously: these “benefactors” don‘t give two-****s about these kids. They’re cashing in on the advertisement of associating themselves to the SCHOOL. Or, I suppose in some cases the very short term name association.

Irregardless, this whole thing SUCKS and we WILL reap the consequence of this misattribution of resources to amateur athletics/entertainment at a time of crucial personal development of this next generation. I will not ever —period — fund this madness that organizations and institutions are promoting. This NIL sucks utterly and completely.

Looking forward to the continued conversation -

Next time let’s talk about Coaches’ salaries .. smdh

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
JT Daniels just signed a massive deal with Zaxbys. Other than summer internships, where is the Atlanta market picking up our guys?. NIL is a losing proposition for Tech because we don't own the Atlanta market. The only way to stem this is to win.
Right, exactly. Because NIL is a false promise.

But winning doesn’t solve this. Understand that NIL has nothing to do with the kid as an individual, but rather a) what school, b) what position

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Come on now: as is often said in Recruit threads these guys are kids. They haven‘t worked for “years” in the life’s big picture and really have contributed nothing in the greater good. They are primarily worthy only because of their DNA-gifted attributes — not effort (yeah.. let’s be clear.. a 5’8” guy giving the same EFFORT is not likely to be in the conversation). And most of them will fail in the next couple years and be forgotten by all of us. But, of course, they are just kids whom we excuse for their youthful misgivings. The contradiction is staggering.

And, I’ll just repeat what I’ve said previously: these “benefactors” don‘t give two-****s about these kids. They’re cashing in on the advertisement of associating themselves to the SCHOOL. Or, I suppose in some cases the very short term name association.

Irregardless, this whole thing SUCKS and we WILL reap the consequence of this misattribution of resources to amateur athletics/entertainment at a time of crucial personal development of this next generation. I will not ever —period — fund this madness that organizations and institutions are promoting. This NIL sucks utterly and completely.

Looking forward to the continued conversation -

Next time let’s talk about Coaches’ salaries .. smdh
Says the guy who almost assuredly never played a sport past recreational leagues.

Go spend a week in the life of an elite athlete and get back to us.

Also, some of these kids come from difficult backgrounds. Not only have they worked their butt off to hone their skills to get to a level where people are willing to pay for them to advertise for them, but they also overcame a huge hurdle many on here never had to.

And while DNA or God given talent (however you want to put it) plays a big factor, it’s only a part of what makes the great ones special. Go listen to what CTC had to say about Calvin and Adrian Peterson in his press conference the other day.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Says the guy who almost assuredly never played a sport past recreational leagues.

Go spend a week in the life of an elite athlete and get back to us.

Also, some of these kids come from difficult backgrounds. Not only have they worked their butt off to hone their skills to get to a level where people are willing to pay for them to advertise for them, but they also overcame a huge hurdle many on here never had to.

And while DNA or God given talent (however you want to put it) plays a big factor, it’s only a part of what makes the great ones special. Go listen to what CTC had to say about Calvin and Adrian Peterson in his press conference the other day.
Oh, good grief .. the whole “never played past xxx” tripe. So predictable.
Ohhhh…but I’m sure you were just talking one injury away from making the League. Yeah, right. Pffftt.

You haven’t said a single meaningful thing here.

- As far as “hone their skills”.. I already addressed that and it comes down to physical attributes and not specifically effort.
- As far as “willing to pay”.. I already addressed that: few have heard of these names except, a) the SCHOOL and, b) the POSITION. You are silly to think otheraise.
- As far “great ones special”.. sure, we can agree on that. But to this point nearly none of these of these kids are ”special“..yet. Calvin and Adrian are absolutely extreme outliers, if that’s not so obvious.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Right, exactly. Because NIL is a false promise.

But winning doesn’t solve this. Understand that NIL has nothing to do with the kid as an individual, but rather a) what school, b) what position
On the other side of that are athletes who don't have the a) school nor the b) position who were prevented from using brand that they themselves developed. Donald De La Haye chose to develop his brand instead of dropping his brand to keep a football scholarship. He now makes an estimated $1 million per year from the brand that he dropped the UCF scholarship for. Olivia Dunne is now making money that she could have previously been making on her own if the NCAA had not prevented her from making it.

I understand that you are concerned that athletes might be provided money to play at a school. The NCAA and the NCAA rules have not prevented that. The have caused De La Haye to lose his scholarship. They have prevented people like Olivia Dunne from making lots of money not derived from the college nor the NCAA. They have blasted a school because the football coach let a player and his wife and kids stay in a cabin after the player's apartment burned. If you have a player whose mother is an alcoholic and father has an extreme gambling addiction and he has to take custody of his 11 year old brother, the NCAA prevents that player from getting a job during the season and from receiving any financial assistance from anyone unless the college jumps thru hoops to gain an exception.

NCAA rules and enforcement have been to do nothing if LSU is handing out $100 bills to players on national TV, but to force a player to put his 11 year old brother in an orphanage if he wants to play college football.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
On the other side of that are athletes who don't have the a) school nor the b) position who were prevented from using brand that they themselves developed. Donald De La Haye chose to develop his brand instead of dropping his brand to keep a football scholarship. He now makes an estimated $1 million per year from the brand that he dropped the UCF scholarship for. Olivia Dunne is now making money that she could have previously been making on her own if the NCAA had not prevented her from making it.

I understand that you are concerned that athletes might be provided money to play at a school. The NCAA and the NCAA rules have not prevented that. The have caused De La Haye to lose his scholarship. They have prevented people like Olivia Dunne from making lots of money not derived from the college nor the NCAA. They have blasted a school because the football coach let a player and his wife and kids stay in a cabin after the player's apartment burned. If you have a player whose mother is an alcoholic and father has an extreme gambling addiction and he has to take custody of his 11 year old brother, the NCAA prevents that player from getting a job during the season and from receiving any financial assistance from anyone unless the college jumps thru hoops to gain an exception.

NCAA rules and enforcement have been to do nothing if LSU is handing out $100 bills to players on national TV, but to force a player to put his 11 year old brother in an orphanage if he wants to play college football.
Well, if De La Haye is leveraging exposure of his own — no problem. If it’s by way of identification to UCF.. that’s a problem.

The issue is that - am I repeating myself? - is that NIL is *generally speaking* directly aligned to the institution. It has little to do with the individual.

But, thanks for bringing to light these individual or otherwise outlier cases. For sure: Olivia Dunn has somehow established a brand outside of amateur athletics where an amateur athletic scholarship is certainly deserved to another person.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But, thanks for bringing to light these individual or otherwise outlier cases. For sure: Olivia Dunn has somehow established a brand outside of amateur athletics where an amateur athletic scholarship is certainly deserved to another person.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you really saying that Olivia Dunne should not be allowed to have a scholarship because she is able to make money? The sport she competes in is a fully funded scholarship sport. There are 12 positions and 12 scholarships, so if you are actually saying that she should not have a scholarship because she is more personally more popular than the LSU gymnastics team, then I disagree strongly. More young girls are paying attention to LSU gymnastics because of her. More young girls are buying LSU branded leotards because of her. LSU is making more money because of her. Maybe using your logic, since the uptick in LSU gymnastics revenue is not because of the university, but because of Olivia Dunne, the school should not be allowed to profit from it.

EDIT: I would also point out that those "outlier" cases that you describe are extreme. Should an athlete have to choose between a scholarship and taking care of his 11 year old brother? Should a coach or football program have to think twice about giving a player, his wife, and kids a place to stay for a few weeks after their apartment burns down. Outside of college athletics, these would be something that friends and coworkers would in almost every case step in and help out. In the NCAA they are prevented from providing any assistance whatsoever. And by the way, LSU still has a former player handing out $100 bills with zero consequence.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you really saying that Olivia Dunne should not be allowed to have a scholarship because she is able to make money? The sport she competes in is a fully funded scholarship sport. There are 12 positions and 12 scholarships, so if you are actually saying that she should not have a scholarship because she is more personally more popular than the LSU gymnastics team, then I disagree strongly. More young girls are paying attention to LSU gymnastics because of her. More young girls are buying LSU branded leotards because of her. LSU is making more money because of her. Maybe using your logic, since the uptick in LSU gymnastics revenue is not because of the university, but because of Olivia Dunne, the school should not be allowed to profit from it.
Not understanding your point, either.
But, yes, if Olivia is promoting her brand through a publicly funded scholarship, e.g. revenue, then she should forfeit that scholarship. She can make her her money in her own way.. not via LSU. She can do her flips and turns in her own environment.

Is that not simple?

And why do we care how much LSU is making anyway? (could you even remotely quantify this???) That’s not part of the equation.