Attachments

• 2F825ECC-4A1F-40AA-A147-CE76743FE550.jpeg
    2F825ECC-4A1F-40AA-A147-CE76743FE550.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 9

Deleted member 2897

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Playing field sure looks level now
What I picked up is Saban throwing shade on the kid, re “he hasn’t even played a game yet”. This is about Bama, and the kid is otherwise just in the right place at the right time. Which is true for most (if not nearly all) the exceptions being the transcendent players.

What has irked me from the outset of this is that football is supposed the utmost team sport: players are dependent on each other to execute their roles. So while certainly some kids are more gifted than others, most would not successful without the play of teammates. And so this NIL is a kick to the face of that premise — not to mention what Saban is already implying which is that it is the INSTITUTIONS they represent — the tradition, the colors, the logos — is what fans value foremost.

GT_EE78

Banned
What I picked up is Saban throwing shade on the kid, re “he hasn’t even played a game yet”. This is about Bama, and the kid is otherwise just in the right place at the right time. Which is true for most (if not nearly all) the exceptions being the transcendent players.

What has irked me from the outset of this is that football is supposed the utmost team sport: players are dependent on each other to execute their roles. So while certainly some kids are more gifted than others, most would not successful without the play of teammates. And so this NIL is a kick to the face of that premise — not to mention what Saban is already implying which is that it is the INSTITUTIONS they represent — the tradition, the colors, the logos — is what fans value foremost.
soooo, how much will them Bama fans pay a 5star DT?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If the kid has a brand and can attract clicks on social media then they gonna eat no matter the team. Clicks matter. Kids who want to build their brands will do so and GT is a good space to do so.
His brand is "Alabama Starting QB", he's not getting these deals for any other reason. He wouldn't come close to that kind of money as starting qb at a large portion of FBS schools.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
His brand is "Alabama Starting QB", he's not getting these deals for any other reason. He wouldn't come close to that kind of money as starting qb at a large portion of FBS schools.
There are athletes that do have a brand apart from their athletics at the school. I do understand wanting to keep college athletics amateur and not allow a school to pay to get athletes to attend the university. How do you balance that with not preventing a person with an actual brand of their name from benefitting from that brand? It is estimated that gymnast Olivia Dunne has signed about $1 million in endorsements. Should she be prevented from making $1 million because she is competing in NCAA gymnastics? There was one poster who said that she should be required to give that $1 million to LSU since they gave her a scholarship. Should she be required to pay LSU $1 million for a $40k scholarship?

I don't want NCAA football and basketball to turn into a purely professional sports system. However, when a G5 kicker can't make a few thousand a year from his YouTube channel, a gymnast can't benefit from her social media presence which can earn her more than $1 million, or sisters who play G5 women's basketball can't benefit from their pre-existing social media presence, something is wrong with the amateurism definitions. It will be extremely difficult to make and enforce rules that prevent some level of pay-for-play(or pay to recruit) without affecting student-athletes with legitimate audiences. Using Olivia Dunne as an example, she might not have the same audience in a few years. Maybe related to no longer being at LSU, maybe because she makes a public statement that turns her audience off, maybe because people just feel she is no longer relevant. She might never have an opportunity to make millions again in her life. I would rather see NCAA football and basketball burn to the ground than to see young people in her situation prevented from benefitting from an audience that she built prior to any relationship with LSU.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There are athletes that do have a brand apart from their athletics at the school.
Yes, I'm aware of OD and others like her. The question I have is, does women's gymnastics make any money for the school anyway? Does women's basketball? I think that for most sports the answer is no. The fact that she was a gymnast at LSU is kind of irrelevant because nobody cares about college gymnastics, its not a money making enterprise.

Football and basketball are the primary sports where its an issue, because you can have large devoted fan groups willing to pay whatever to make sure their team wins. And that's a key point - they want to make sure "their team" wins, not Bryce Young. If Bryce Young went to Auburn, his following would be totally different. If he dropped out of Alabama tomorrow, you think all those deals would stick around? Not a chance.

I don't have a solution at this point, but unrestricted pay to play like we have now is not the answer.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I'm aware of OD and others like her. The question I have is, does women's gymnastics make any money for the school anyway? Does women's basketball? I think that for most sports the answer is no. The fact that she was a gymnast at LSU is kind of irrelevant because nobody cares about college gymnastics, its not a money making enterprise.

Football and basketball are the primary sports where its an issue, because you can have large devoted fan groups willing to pay whatever to make sure their team wins. And that's a key point - they want to make sure "their team" wins, not Bryce Young. If Bryce Young went to Auburn, his following would be totally different. If he dropped out of Alabama tomorrow, you think all those deals would stick around? Not a chance.

I don't have a solution at this point, but unrestricted pay to play like we have now is not the answer.
Is the previous situation where OD was prevented from making money the answer? There was a kicker at UCF who basically had to choose between making money on YouTube and kicking at UCF. I saw an estimate that he is now making $1 million/year on YouTube. Is his audience on YouTube from devoted fans of UCF? I do think it will be extremely difficult to keep schools like Alabama from using this as a pay-for-play system. However, it isn't right to penalize OD's life simply to keep Alabama from cheating. It isn't right to require a kicker at UCF to choose between having a small YouTube channel and competing in college athletics. People concentrate on a few hundred of the 15,000 or so FBS football players. However, there are approximately 460,000 NCAA athletes who are affected by rules meant to control actions related to a few hundred athletes. 458,800 student-athletes are potentially harmed because we are concerned that a running back might make a decision based on money. If you tilt the scales based on number of athletes affected, the previous system was overwhelmingly biased in the wrong direction.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Is the previous situation where OD was prevented from making money the answer? There was a kicker at UCF who basically had to choose between making money on YouTube and kicking at UCF. I saw an estimate that he is now making $1 million/year on YouTube. Is his audience on YouTube from devoted fans of UCF? I do think it will be extremely difficult to keep schools like Alabama from using this as a pay-for-play system. However, it isn't right to penalize OD's life simply to keep Alabama from cheating. It isn't right to require a kicker at UCF to choose between having a small YouTube channel and competing in college athletics. People concentrate on a few hundred of the 15,000 or so FBS football players. However, there are approximately 460,000 NCAA athletes who are affected by rules meant to control actions related to a few hundred athletes. 458,800 student-athletes are potentially harmed because we are concerned that a running back might make a decision based on money. If you tilt the scales based on number of athletes affected, the previous system was overwhelmingly biased in the wrong direction.

The real question is whether you can regulate Football and Basketball separately from the non-revenue sports. Ideally you'd be able to allow non-revenue sport student athletes more latitude in regards to NIL than football players who could be "bribed" with NIL deals. I don't know that this is feasible, so you get what we've always had, which is factories finding ways to pay their players, but now it's in the open.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
so the answer is for all yall to do the social media thing, follow every student of every sport at GT. When you see or hear we are recruiting a certain kid, follow.

Thing is, the Bama QB is a blideside tackle away from not having any endorsements. Get it while the gettin is good. Same for the pretty female athletes.(Call me sexist, but the Marla Hootches of college aint gonna be getting paid.)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The real question is whether you can regulate Football and Basketball separately from the non-revenue sports.
Bingo.

At this point, I think non-revenue sports should be allowed to do these things, and football and basketball should not, at least at the D1 level. If they want to do both, go play small ball. That gives everyone an option if they have a legitimate side hustle or fame unrelated to their school/athletic abilities.

On a related note - why not make accepting payment for play or picking a certain team an automatic loss of amateur status and scholarship? High school students aren't nearly as slick and would likely be a lot more concerned than the bagmen trying to pay them if it jeopardized their entire future to accept that stuff. In the past is seems to have been a fairly insignificant slap on the wrist (ie give back whatever you accepted, maybe suspended a few games) which allows the player an extra chance to try it and see if they get caught first.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From GTAA -

What you CAN and CANNOT do as a GT fan regarding NIL. I don't think Todd will be upset that this is posted here.

Dear A-T Fund Members,

As many of you are aware, beginning on July 1, NCAA student-athletes are now permitted to utilize their name, image and likeness (NIL) for compensation. The opportunities for student-athletes to benefit financially from their NIL are wide-ranging, from participating in autograph signings, to running camps, to promoting products via social media posts, to starting their own companies.

At Georgia Tech, we feel our student-athletes are well-positioned to maximize opportunities due to our location in the vibrant Atlanta market and the values of our Institute, which has produced some of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs. Tech Athletics is committed to investing in education and resources that will allow our student-athletes to take full advantage of NIL opportunities that are available to them. This commitment includes the 404 Academy, which is a popular and successful series of seminars that aim to educate, elevate and empower Georgia Tech student-athletes to navigate the NIL landscape.

In addition to educating and empowering our student-athletes, we also want to take this opportunity to pass along key information to you – our most loyal supporters – on how you may and may not engage with student-athletes in the NIL space.

You may:
•​
contact student-athletes directly to discuss and arrange NIL opportunities, including but not limited to promotional appearances and product endorsements;​
•​
compensate student-athletes in cash, products or services in exchange for NIL activity at a fair market rate.​

You may not:
•​
compensate student-athletes based on athletic performance or pay-for-play;​
•​
offer NIL compensation in exchange for a student-athlete enrolling at Georgia Tech (recruiting inducement);​
•​
arrange for compensation that does not require NIL activity in return.​

Student-athletes may:
•​
accept compensation for permissible NIL activities;​
•​
utilize professional services (e.g. agent, lawyer, financial advisor, etc.) for NIL-related activities – however, these services may not be utilized to secure an opportunity as a professional athlete.​

Student-athletes must:
•​
wear and utilize Georgia Tech-issued athletics gear and equipment while on-call for practice, competition and/or other official Georgia Tech activities;​
•​
disclose all NIL activities and agreements/contracts to Georgia Tech.​

Please also note three other key points:
1.​
Georgia Tech or any officer, director, employee or agent (e.g. coach, staff member, etc.) may not directly or indirectly compensate or cause compensation to be directed to a student-athlete.​
2.​
NIL activities/agreements may not include tobacco and/or CBD products, sports wagering or illegal activities.​
3.​
Georgia Tech marks (e.g. logos) may not be included in any NIL activity without permission from Georgia Tech and/or an official licensing partner.​

NIL policies and guidelines are subject to change, especially in the likelihood that federal laws and/or NCAA legislation will be passed in the future that provide nationwide NIL governance. In the meantime, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding NIL activities, please direct them to Georgia Tech Assistant A.D. for Special Projects Simit Shah at [email protected].
Thank you for your continued support and Go Jackets!

-wj6TlUQ0c5DAS3XPQ1FqAue5Rxas9SWA0ZGyfsAMLbItEQn2g_tE0SUlTs8EutSkLjq5uvIR3LEN3xIELOxtnrZYOea__IQRMjysua_Ffe6vfgQLaJWK84gApyNsyi6QTAxjpjM=s0-d-e1-ft
Todd Stansbury IMGT '84
Director of Athletics

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Young had a brand and following before Bama. Believe that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Young had a brand and following before Bama. Believe that.
I don't believe that for a second. He has 3 posts on instagram, all since April of this year. He has a decent # of followers on twitter, though actually a lot less than I would expect for QB1 at Bama, and none of his pre Bama or USC posts are particularly highly liked. The average no-name "influencer" is drawing bigger numbers than that.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Not gonna lie, that's a great move by BYU:

I feel like this kinda goes against the purpose of NIL? This feels more like a personal favor from the company to the school. “Here, we will cover 40 scholarships for a year” wash rinse repeat. This can be turned into,” Hey, we don’t have a scholarship ready for you now. But we have NIL deals to pay your entire college career”. The NIL shouldn’t be extra scholarships for colleges to hand out. This is how the schools that have rich friends will attract the players they can’t officially “offer” to, but can give schollys under the table.

Hope the NCAA shuts this type of deal down and makes it a big example to not use NIL deals as a replacement scholarship.