Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I said nothing about the NCAA cracking down on factories. I said it removes the need to be "shady" and even risk it anymore.

Not sure the new NIL law addresses either of these issues.

I am a Collins supporter, but if he can make ATL a predominantly GT town then I will be truly amazed. Even if he TRIPLES our local fanbase we will be vastly outnumbered by uga fans, not to mention the other SEC fans in the area...

Why would he go to Athens to work out? The studio he's filming at is in ATL. A GT athlete made the connection for him. That's awesome, but if it changed the opinion of one adult here in the area in regards to which football team they will support I'd be shocked.

Not denying that we won't have some supporters. The issue is that number is decidedly smaller than the factories, se we start behind the eight ball to begin with.

All this said, I have no problem with players being able to negotiate for themselves. I just think it's incredibly naïve to think that this new law is all of a sudden going to bring some semblance of parity to college football. The factories will find ways to exploit it for their benefit. The rich will continue to get richer. The divide between tier one and tier two will grow wider. I'd love to be wrong, but without drastic and meaningful change to the rules, nothing is going to stop it. We now live in an era where most teams are happy to take the cash for being the bigger teams cupcakes. Half of the P5 are basically conference affiliated cupcakes for the factories. Here's hoping we can stay in the upper half of the P5.
I agree the divide will most likely only continue to grow. Could change, but will only do so if can interest wanes.

As for fan status changing in Atlanta, that wasn’t what I was speaking of when I mentioned Collins.

When I said I trust Collins to leverage this to our advantage, I meant in attracting talent to come play for us.

I honestly don’t know if it’s possible to change a grown person’s fanhood unless they are just passive.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
"Billy" the uga bag man and mega donor has been funneling between $250-300k per year in order to pay top tier athletes to keep them playing for uga. Now he can simply sign them to NIL agreements with his car dealership in order to pay them aboveboard. No more worries about getting caught and NCAA probations...

With broader fan bases, factories will tend to have more individual businesses willing to "sponsor" an athlete to play at their favorite university.

The problem we have is that there are probably 4x-5x more uga fans in the ATL market than Tech fans.
There's 4x to 5x more Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame fans in the ATL market than Tech fans.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the real world. These kids aren't stupid. They know that if a player is better they are gonna have more options for NIL money. It's exactly the same when you get a job. The employees with more experience and the employees that are the best are gonna make more money. Those that think they can make a better wage somewhere else will choose that route, and others will do everything in their power to raise their standing and put themselves in a position to earn more.
Will (how much) will this change players focus? Previously (at Tech anyway) their two main focuses were (1) their sport (2) staying academically eligible, or less cynically, advancing towards a degree. Now there is a third priority with an "instant gratification" angle. Will athletes be able to hire agents that can negotiate and manage deals for them? Will coaches (realistically) have any ability to "limit" the amount of time an athlete spends (especially in season) chasing endorsement deals? Sure, the can't miss NFLers might play the "long game", understanding that in the end they can make potentially far more money by increasing their NFL prospects in college than by chasing "chump change" endorsement deals. But what about the marginal NFL prospects? Am I thinking about this right? It fundamentally sets up a "competition" for each individual between "will I put myself first or my team first". That competition has always existed in one form on another, but now it is elevated to new levels as a result of the "root of all evil" being introduced into the decision making process.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Probably the end of college sports as we know it, money rules, it is the root of all evil
No offense but feels like I have heard that 4 or 5 times before. When kids started going pro before their 4 years people said it. When the one NCAA TV contract became individual conferences, when coaches started making more money than NFL coraches, and on and on. It will be different for sure but I’m not convinced it will be significant.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
No offense but feels like I have heard that 4 or 5 times before. When kids started going pro before their 4 years people said it. When the one NCAA TV contract became individual conferences, when coaches started making more money than NFL coraches, and on and on. It will be different for sure but I’m not convinced it will be significant.
Probably the significant way for us would be negative.I just can't see how our players will atract much attention ( money) with our small fanbase and really total interest level unless we make a HUGE turn in success.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Probably the significant way for us would be negative.I just can't see how our players will atract much attention ( money) with our small fanbase and really total interest level unless we make a HUGE turn in success.
I don’t think this will play out the way normal advertising does. There are influencers on social media today that 99% of us couldn’t name raking in cash for who knows what reason. I don’t think opportunities will necessarily be about the local car dealerships.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to be clear regarding an earlier post, money is NOT the root of all evil, but the love of money is. (1 Timothy 6:10)

timmy timmysouthpark GIF by Comedy Central LA

GT_EE78

Banned
Coming soon to a theater near you.
President Mark Emmert has insisted new NIL rules will be in effect by next football season and action could come when the Division I Council meets June 22-23.
On July 1, laws in five states will go into effect that will usurp current NCAA regulations prohibiting NIL compensation for athletes.

"In a public records request last month, AP requested contracts from each Power Five conference public school with any company that provides services related to name, image and likeness. The 23 schools that responded by publication time have committed nearly $1.9 million to contracts that range from Oregon State’s five-year, $216,000 deal with Opendorse to the $10,000 one-time payment Arizona State made to the company for providing photos athletes can use to enhance social media posts.Those are modest numbers considering Power Five budgets often exceed $100 million annually."

GT_EE78

Banned
So do you think there are players at every school that can garner this kind of new revenue from companies that didn't have this expenditure budgeted already, or will there only be a few players nationwide that can garner that kind of deal? I'd honestly be shocked if you see a normal 4* get more than $5k a year and that only as insurance to lock him in in case he explodes on the scene. The Trevor Lawrences and Zion Williamsons probably make bank. Companies simply can't afford to dole out that much cash to hundreds of players each year.
this article looks a couple of years ago but says $5K - 30K for less popular athletes and $400K for Trevor Lawrence

Deleted member 2897

To me a lot of this is way over calibrated. People are making estimates based on how much money social media darlings make today that have X followers. But those people spend tons of time posting and cultivating their audience, which drives lots of consistent eyeballs which drives ad revenue. There are only so many hours in a day. Just because someone has X followers doesn’t mean they’ll necessarily be able to monetize it like someone else does who treats it like a job. We will see.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And now The Nine (otherwise known as the Supreme Court) has weighed in on the subject. See:

I think Campos is right and Kavanaugh's concurrence will be the take of the whole court in future as other cases reach DC. This has been a long time coming and, while Congress could weigh in to save the NCAA's bacon, I'm pretty sure they won't.

People here have been talking a lot about transfers and "name and likeness" laws. Piffle. It's the Sherman Anti-Trust Act that will finally change college sports for good. With any kind of luck we'll get an NCAA that runs Div 3 programs and sports teams annexed by pro teams, like in Europe. Then we can take the extra money and use it to, you know, educate young people.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This is going to be a really interesting transition in college sports. Will athletes be permitted to have agents to negotiate terms of their “likeness wage” with their clients’ college, institute, or university. Will there be caps in the amount of money a athlete or team can administer? This really does seem like a scenario that favors deep pockets and colleges, institutes, and universities with the largest fanbase. How will the smaller ones compete? Plus what prevents an individual’s pursuit of their endorsements/monies from conflicts with their teams spring, pregame, Postgame, pictures and interviews? Will teams even be able to produce programs/guides without having to pay out individually to each athlete pictured within the program? This could really change the dynamics of the coach/player/teammates relationships.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sure will change recruiting. Now how much $ will I make if I come here? Used to be how much after graduation. Now it will be how much while I'm here.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Sure will change recruiting. Now how much $ will I make if I come here? Used to be how much after graduation. Now it will be how much while I'm here.
The good news is as part of official visits to GT CGC has the recruit sit with our NIL staff member. Seems he is trying to be out front in this area. Can’t hurt.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And now The Nine (otherwise known as the Supreme Court) has weighed in on the subject. See:

I think Campos is right and Kavanaugh's concurrence will be the take of the whole court in future as other cases reach DC. This has been a long time coming and, while Congress could weigh in to save the NCAA's bacon, I'm pretty sure they won't.

People here have been talking a lot about transfers and "name and likeness" laws. Piffle. It's the Sherman Anti-Trust Act that will finally change college sports for good. With any kind of luck we'll get an NCAA that runs Div 3 programs and sports teams annexed by pro teams, like in Europe. Then we can take the extra money and use it to, you know, educate young people.
I’m not sure what it means but the 9-0 decision was based on earlier precedent which included the ruling that the NCAA still has the right to “preserve amateurism and the interests of higher education.”

So, to cross reference another thread where I voiced an unpopular opinion, if the NCAA wants to “preserve amateurism…etc” they should rule that each class of 25 at a school can have no more than 3 five star recruits and 5 four star recruits.

I know this will sound radical to most but it would keep the money influence from piling up more and more in a half dozen schools while reminding certain athletes that they are neither entitled nor possessing special privileges which can keep them from struggling like the majority of other students to get into the school of their choice.

If you’re going to cap teams at 85 and classes at 25 you might as well cap the financial assets schools will get from “amateurism.”