Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I know that. But I am just saying that a players number does not represent the player, particularly from year to year.
If that were the case though, they wouldn’t have made the rule to stop the selling of specific numbers. Sure the number 21 itself written on a piece of paper could be a number of players, but the number 21 on that gold jersey, sold in the years 04-07, represents Calvin Johnson and was intentionally sold to represent Calvin Johnson.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
You making guarantees you can't support. I saw every home game he played and many away games, so I know how amazing he was.

I can support it because I have friends that went to the games with me to see Calvin even though they weren’t Tech fans. You don’t have to believe me but it’s true. The notion that Calvin didn’t impact tickets sales at all was just not true.

Exact same reason I went to the Auburn/LSU game in 2013. I wanted to see Cam Newton play in person. It was an amazing game. He had his Heisman run that game. Auburn got money from me just because of Cam Newton. Their return on investment for him was excellent.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can support it because I have friends that went to the games with me to see Calvin even though they weren’t Tech fans. You don’t have to believe me but it’s true. The notion that Calvin didn’t impact tickets sales at all was just not true.

Exact same reason I went to the Auburn/LSU game in 2013. I wanted to see Cam Newton play in person. It was an amazing game. He had his Heisman run that game. Auburn got money from me just because of Cam Newton. Their return on investment for him was excellent.
Sigh. "At all"? Really? Of course, there are 1's and 2's that might come to see a superstar in the making. I doubt your friends went when he was a freshman, but maybe they were more clued in than most fans. But I'm confident it didn't move the meter. All you have to do is look at year over year attendance numbers and you'll see it's all based on whether we're winning, not the kids on the field.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This man is on one at all times, so obviously he is delusional enough to think that this is what helps the university in Athens ****ing Georgia to get over the top

GT_EE78

Banned
If NCAA just had one testicle or a portion thereof, they should have stuck to their guns by telling the California schools "no eligibility".
wouldn't have stopped them but maybe delaying this disease spread would have helped.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Kids at the military academies are paid while attending. All of them including athletes but it is held in escrow until they graduate. They go out and buy new cars for graduation. At least they did in the late 60's. Corvettes, triumphs, jags, GTO's etc. Best friend played LB there and bought a corvette.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Kids at the military academies are paid while attending. All of them including athletes but it is held in escrow until they graduate. They go out and buy new cars for graduation. At least they did in the late 60's. Corvettes, triumphs, jags, GTO's etc. Best friend played LB there and bought a corvette.
Every kid gets the same amount of $$ when they graduate too. Then they're obligated to serve for 4-6 years (I don't remember which). Not exactly apples to apples. But, to your point, if this was the model, I don't think anyone would complain too loudly.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL...to bring you all back to reality about the school and team we love. We can talk about recruiting, the NFL and paying players....but in the end for us...34 majors and calculus. You actually have to be able to read and write to get into Tech as a football player...unlike...UGA, Bama, UNC etc. This will always be what keeps us back, that is unless you have a coach that can scheme around this....
I think the academics have a greater negative influence on transfer student athletes due to "progress toward degree requirements" https://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements . A student may have enough hours to be eligible, but not enough that applies toward a degree at Tech. The new transfer rules and portal will not favor us.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn't the NFL. That's the whole problem. This IS amateur athletics. If they want to make money, become a professional. This is not what college football should be about.
College football is no longer an amateur sport and it’s been that way for awhile. The schools made this choice with the outrageous spending and seeking of massive tv contracts. You realize Kirby makes more than Arthur smith the coach of the officially designated pro team in this state?