Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
For those who think the rich won't get richer, ask yourselves this question:

"Why would uga and the Florida factories push for a law that they didn't see as very beneficial for them to exploit for recruiting purposes?"

Yeah, but.... I think this is where Collins is really going to shine, and he is in the right place at the right time. Another team got a lot of press recently for putting twitter handles on uniforms during their spring game, but heck Collins did that FOUR YEARS ago. He's always at the forefront, coming up with new and innovative approaches, and everyone else looks like a copycat. Some of them work, some of them don't, but I believe his is the right person to really take advantage of this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I just read the bill. IIUC, the 75% has to be distributed to "former student athletes." Looks like they were trying to find a way to retroactively pay former players. Maybe it's like an ongoing revenue stream for former players? Kind of like a pension? Not sure, but there is potential in the provision to set up a future supplemental revenue stream for players after they leave.
It has to be former student-athletes because current student-athletes can't receive compensation beyond the cost of attendance.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It has to be former student-athletes because current student-athletes can't receive compensation beyond the cost of attendance.

Current student athletes become former student athletes eventually. Also, the NIL is compensation. If put in escrow, the 75% could be used to build a trust fund for student athletes to draw upon at a certain point in the future. As I think about this, it could be a way to slow down transfers if they tie payout to time at the school...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, but.... I think this is where Collins is really going to shine, and he is in the right place at the right time. Another team got a lot of press recently for putting twitter handles on uniforms during their spring game, but heck Collins did that FOUR YEARS ago. He's always at the forefront, coming up with new and innovative approaches, and everyone else looks like a copycat. Some of them work, some of them don't, but I believe his is the right person to really take advantage of this.

I sure hope so, but the reality is that this will most likely be driven by market share, in which GT is a relatively small market (i.e fanbase) team. Sure, we are in the heart of ATL, but there are FAR more SEC fans in ATL than GT fans. The SEC schools and Clemson will most likely dominate the southeast in NIL market share.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I'll just be damned if I can grasp the thought processes (or lack thereof) of some of the fonts on this board who cannot understand that there is no small amount of compensation to the athletes by way of a free college education, training table, room and board all of which can be valued in the low hundreds of thousands of before tax dollars. That certainly is compensation.
Delusional. They have earned and deserve more, hence the law.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
For those who think the rich won't get richer, ask yourselves this question:

"Why would uga and the Florida factories push for a law that they didn't see as very beneficial for them to exploit for recruiting purposes?"

I guess I don't see how the rich actually could get richer? I mean, uga recruits on par with Bama as is, and Bama literally couldn't recruit any better. These schools still only have so many schollies and can't take every blue chip. They are pushing for the law because they know someone else will and they don't want to fall behind.

Also, whatever their motive, unintended results do happen.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I guess I don't see how the rich actually could get richer? I mean, uga recruits on par with Bama as is, and Bama literally couldn't recruit any better. These schools still only have so many schollies and can't take every blue chip. They are pushing for the law because they know someone else will and they don't want to fall behind.

Think about it this way. True freshman QBs that don't get immediate playing time are more likely to stay at a factory that can "orchestrate" lucrative NIL deals than go to a lesser school where they might play faster but make less money. Wouldn't stop the elite QBs from transferring between factories, but could prevent backup from going down a notch to get PT.

Also, hypothetically say that Sims blows it up at GT this year. We win 7-8 games and he's talked about as the best thing since JoeHam. Then uga has a bag man approach him about how much MORE money he could make by transferring there and playing QB, what with the additional exposure and all. Could be a way, combined with the new portal rules, to lure talent from the second tier teams to the factories.

As you said, there WILL be unintended consequences. That much is sure. The main problem is that unintended consequences are rarely beneficial...

I would like to note that I am not opposed to the NIL law, as I think these guys should be able to make money. I just don't see this as a clear win for Tech.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Current student athletes become former student athletes eventually. Also, the NIL is compensation. If put in escrow, the 75% could be used to build a trust fund for student athletes to draw upon at a certain point in the future. As I think about this, it could be a way to slow down transfers if they tie payout to time at the school...
...which is why I said it has to be former student-athletes. I already commented on this being a vehicle for coaches to keep kids from transferring.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Think about it this way. True freshman QBs that don't get immediate playing time are more likely to stay at a factory that can "orchestrate" lucrative NIL deals than go to a lesser school where they might play faster but make less money. Wouldn't stop the elite QBs from transferring between factories, but could prevent backup from going down a notch to get PT.

Also, hypothetically say that Sims blows it up at GT this year. We win 7-8 games and he's talked about as the best thing since JoeHam. Then uga has a bag man approach him about how much MORE money he could make by transferring there and playing QB, what with the additional exposure and all. Could be a way, combined with the new portal rules, to lure talent from the second tier teams to the factories.

As you said, there WILL be unintended consequences. That much is sure. The main problem is that unintended consequences are rarely beneficial...

I would like to note that I am not opposed to the NIL law, as I think these guys should be able to make money. I just don't see this as a clear win for Tech.

Hmm. Yeah, valid concerns. All the more reason to increase the cool factor of GT. Really no stopping this train, regardless.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just take a step back and think about all the Revenue and Exposure Calvin Johnson brought to Tech while he was here. When you do that, do you realistically think his time here was only worth a Scholarship?
Well, how much exposure and revenue did Calvin Johnson bring to Tech while he was here? Certainly, he did bring exposure locally. Not so sure he brought any revenue. We definitely gained recognition as he became an All-American. Definitely gained exposure when he was drafted #2 in the 2007 NFL draft. But, what revenue did he drive towards GT? It's not the individuals that drive revenue, it's the entire system as a collective through the TV contracts.

So, looking at this in toto, do all the student-athletes deserve more than the $200,000 to $500,000 in education and benefits over 4 years they already "earn" by being scholar-athletes? Remember, football (and men's basketball) pays for everything in the AA, all the student-athletes. I think that is debatable.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Another thing to keep in mind,

"Point of clarification from the #GaTech side on today’s new law in Georgia- They have no plans of taking any of the NIL money an athlete makes for redistribution." -Russell Johnson

So Tech isnt planning on taking anyones money and redistributing it to anyone else. That should also be a huge selling point too, probably other places are gonna take the 75% allowable by the law but Tech wont.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Well, how much exposure and revenue did Calvin Johnson bring to Tech while he was here? Certainly, he did bring exposure locally. Not so sure he brought any revenue. We definitely gained recognition as he became an All-American. Definitely gained exposure when he was drafted #2 in the 2007 NFL draft. But, what revenue did he drive towards GT? It's not the individuals that drive revenue, it's the entire system as a collective through the TV contracts.

So, looking at this in toto, do all the student-athletes deserve more than the $200,000 to $500,000 in education and benefits over 4 years they already "earn" by being scholar-athletes? Remember, football (and men's basketball) pays for everything in the AA, all the student-athletes. I think that is debatable.
All the #21 jerseys GT sold that people still wear to this day. You don’t think Calvin Put butts in the seats? I just don’t understand you’re argument, you have a problem with someone being able to make money? If the kids aren’t what you think they’re worth then they won’t be paid, if they are paid you are wrong. It’s a pretty simple concept, you simply don’t think Gibbs or anyone has the right to attempt to be compensated? That’s very discouraging to hear.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It’s not like this is a surprise. It was coming either this year or next and the kids aren’t stupid, they have some idea how this will work.
Hmm. I agree that they aren't stupid. But, I'd argue that they are generally horribly inexperienced in business matters and subject to a lot of bad advice and potential exploitation. You think new NFL players get hosed by unscrupulous types. I wonder if Tech should provide a business consultant to these kids to help them manage all of this. It could be a real recruiting advantage. We could even make it a Freshman class: Business 101: Managing NIL Income

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Well, how about offering your top ten recruits $10,000 each or, if you are Notre Dame, Bama or A&M make it $25,000 each?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All the #21 jerseys GT sold that people still wear to this day. You don’t think Calvin Put butts in the seats? I just don’t understand you’re argument, you have a problem with someone being able to make money? If the kids aren’t what you think they’re worth then they won’t be paid, if they are paid you are wrong. It’s a pretty simple concept, you simply don’t think Gibbs or anyone has the right to attempt to be compensated? That’s very discouraging to hear.
I think NCAA sports should be amateur. I think athletes who want to make money pre-NFL, pre-NBA, whatever should have opportunities to do so. I think it is unfortunate that the NFL, NBA, and NCAA schools have been too eager to use the NCAA as a minor league system.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First, yes people bought #21 jerseys (probably all Tech fans). These are people who would have bought some other number if not #21. No, I don't think Calvin had much effect on the number of fans in the stands. Yes, these kids will get paid because they always have. This just makes it easier to cheat, and they will cheat.

Second, if you truly believe what you're writing, you're naive.

Third, there's nothing wrong with your opinion (that 30 years won't fix).

GT_EE78

Banned
Another thing to keep in mind,

"Point of clarification from the #GaTech side on today’s new law in Georgia- They have no plans of taking any of the NIL money an athlete makes for redistribution." -Russell Johnson

So Tech isnt planning on taking anyones money and redistributing it to anyone else. That should also be a huge selling point too, probably other places are gonna take the 75% allowable by the law but Tech wont.
i'm not sure if this redistribution thing exists anywhere but Ga.
GT being out forces UGA out too,other state schools probably don't matter
that part of it may be a nothingburger unless someone actually does it.
When would the SA get his money?