Myerberg Tech Preview: 55th

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good write -up and well supported. Everyone has their opinions. After watching our Spring game, I think the Dwill be better than he gives them credit for, especially the DBs and LBs. A lot of the D is coming back from injuries as he points out and I'm assuming they will be better than before since they will have practiced and rehabilitated. But his opinion is probably better founded than mine since he follows a lot more teams.

He was right on about the VT game. That is the lynch pin for the season, it was last season. We lose that game and we are 2 games back in Coastal race since VT is usually there. As another post said, we can take 1 coastal loss and one other ACC loss (Clemson) and win Coastal. But we lose to VT and then I think we lose to Miami too ...... and probably UNC ...... since we won't be that good. We beat VT and we are flying.

Thanks for the link.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tidbit (weekend edition): Tech is 4-9 under Johnson in games played on days other than Saturday. In comparison, the Jackets are 44-22 under Johnson on Saturdays. Why is this important? Well, I can think of a few reasons … but here's one: Every single one of Tech's 12 games during this coming regular season fall on a Saturday. That hasn't happened since 1992.

Oh snap...we are going undefeated...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tidbit (weekend edition): Tech is 4-9 under Johnson in games played on days other than Saturday. In comparison, the Jackets are 44-22 under Johnson on Saturdays. Why is this important? Well, I can think of a few reasons … but here's one: Every single one of Tech's 12 games during this coming regular season fall on a Saturday. That hasn't happened since 1992.

Oh snap...we are going undefeated...

or 8-4

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope he is wrong on defense even though he makes solid points based on last years games.

I am no expert, but I have eyes…. Our LB will be beast! He will be proven wrong here! PJ, Nealy, Tyler, and Harrell are going to kick a** . I may be giving Harrel to much given the limited tim he was on the field. But he rocked for the limited time I saw him. He was PJ Davis hungry to earn a spot on the field.

I know this is all gut, but I think we are going to get more out our DL than some think. CTR will setup a system that will give the all players the best chance and allow the best players the versatility to bulwark the LOS, mainly the LBs and Gotsis.

I think the DB will be interesting to watch develop as we see if a freshman breaks into the starter group or backup. Where will the both Griffins and White land after the fall camp? I trust CTR to put the best on the field according to their strengths.

There are a lot of questions but we have some heroes on defense that are not getting the credit they should! I do realize JT and Sneezy are big losses, but someone will step up, no doubt.

I think he is right on O with his asterisk on a young OL. I can say for sure, the OL will play better than last year.

The QB will read better due to practice focusing on CPJ's true game and the ability of both QB's to process field information quickly.

The WRs are going to be strong. We said this about the OL of 2013, but I think this is a more solid prediction than OL 2013.

I have no doubt in Laskey as long as he stays healthy. Connors knows what to do and will be a good "spell the starter guy". I sure hope he Godhighs us!

The ABacks have one hell of a blocker in Days. The rest will make yards if everyone else does their jobs. They might not wiggle through others wiffs as well as Godhigh, but I say wait and see.

I would feel better if we have proven replacements for Sneezy, JT, a back with the yards of Godhigh, and more proven depth at BB.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wow. 55th. :banghead:

reasonable ranking at this point. Look at our record last year. We lost alot of people off of that team. We have question marks at most spots, especially D line, as this article points out. brand new qb. The good news is we get to play the games and find out if we are better (or worse) than this prediction. Of course we are all hoping so.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
reasonable ranking at this point. Look at our record last year. We lost alot of people off of that team. We have question marks at most spots, especially D line, as this article points out. brand new qb. The good news is we get to play the games and find out if we are better (or worse) than this prediction. Of course we are all hoping so.

I appreciate you taking the time to put together an explanation. But I'm not taking issue with the ranking.

I'm just shaking my head that we have reached the point in the program where we're ranked in the middle of all D-1 teams. It's pretty sad to me.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm just shaking my head that we have reached the point in the program where we're ranked in the middle of all D-1 teams. It's pretty sad to me.

Look, I'd love to be preseason top 10, but I'd wager there has never been a period in modern CFB history where we've been consistently ranked in the top 1/3 in the preseason polls. Preseason rankings are all about recruiting and hype, things we aren't typically getting national attention for. Yet, we CONSISTENTLY outperform most preseason projections. I definitely want to see us improve as a program, but dang, I just don't see where we've fallen off some proverbial cliff in terms of overall program success. We're doing what we've historically done, with what I believe is a higher ceiling and lower floor than we've had in some decades past, and we're doing it in the toughest time for a school like GT to do so, with incredible academics and behavior. This is why I'm proud to be a GT fan.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Look, I'd love to be preseason top 10, but I'd wager there has never been a period in modern CFB history where we've been consistently ranked in the top 1/3 in the preseason polls. Preseason rankings are all about recruiting and hype, things we aren't typically getting national attention for. Yet, we CONSISTENTLY outperform most preseason projections. I definitely want to see us improve as a program, but dang, I just don't see where we've fallen off some proverbial cliff in terms of overall program success. We're doing what we've historically done, with what I believe is a higher ceiling and lower floor than we've had in some decades past, and we're doing it in the toughest time for a school like GT to do so, with incredible academics and behavior. This is why I'm proud to be a GT fan.

I don't think any of us are expecting top 10. But I honestly don't think top 25 is out of the question for most years though. And if not top 25, at LEAST be mentioned in the "others receiving votes" section, which usually translates to about the top 40.
Looking back to 2002 (and I only picked that because ESPN's page I looked at only goes back that far, here is what I find on end of season AP top 25: Link

2013 - No ranking
2012 - No ranking
2011 - No ranking
2010 - No ranking
2009 - #13
2008 - #22
2007 - No ranking
2006 - #31 (counted using the "others receiving votes"
2005 - #40
2004 - #34
2003 - No ranking
2002 - No ranking

Looking at those stats, CPJ has been in the top 40 twice. Both rankings were higher than Gailey's but Gailey had us in the top 40 one more time...and we pretty much all acknowledge that Gailey was not the pinnacle of college coaches. His teams were consistently average, IMO.

Whether you're a fan of Coach Johnson or not, it isn't hard to look at those numbers and say that his teams are performing on par or slightly worse than Gailey's teams performed....and that got CCG fired.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Pretty good read:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-depth-chart-schedule-football-four/12662039/

Dream season: The Jackets get back to their old tricks, taking 10 games during the regular season and winning the Coastal Division. In the finale: Tech 48, Bulldogs 21.
IMO he has this backwards. We have run the TO for sometime with the with the reasoning - score while tiring the opp defense and resting our defense. Ted Roof has changed the tone from bend but don't break to ( after he makes adjustsments during game) to 5and 6 man rush packages.
This year our offense has talented receivers, senior loaded ABs , very good senior BB, an un injury plagued offensive line, AND most important triple option talent at QB.
This year the defense will full fill the promise once again and with experienced secondary Roof will be aggressive on man coverage (no 10 yd cushions) and send 6-7. This will succeed more than it will fail, but for sure the opposing defense will be back on the field. I can't wait to see some defense scores this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate you taking the time to put together an explanation. But I'm not taking issue with the ranking.

You realize this is one dude's opinion, don't you? You also realize we've be contenders in the Coastal every year except one in CPJ's tenure? And that's not to say I'm happy or satisfied. It's to say what we've accomplished with less than stellar recruiting with many of our "stars" on the recruiting not panning out.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at those stats, CPJ has been in the top 40 twice. Both rankings were higher than Gailey's but Gailey had us in the top 40 one more time...and we pretty much all acknowledge that Gailey was not the pinnacle of college coaches. His teams were consistently average, IMO.

Whether you're a fan of Coach Johnson or not, it isn't hard to look at those numbers and say that his teams are performing on par or slightly worse than Gailey's teams performed....and that got CCG fired.

I don't think CPJ has taken us to dizzying new heights from the CCG era. My point was that we are consistently outperforming PREseason expectations, and we are doing it in a very difficult time to do so. CCG's teams frequently did the opposite. With the whole country drooling over CJ, and with NFL talent on both lines, the backfield, and at LB, we were frequently expected to do better than we actually finished. When CPJ had some NFL talent, we all saw the results. In fact, I'd propose that CCG's offense with RB, TC, and CJ was just as talented as CPJ's with JfN, JD, and DT.

And if you're using our 40 and 34 finishes under CCG as signs of success in one post and saying it's very average in another, that's not logical.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
Bad defensive line = bad defense. You simply cannot scheme around it. We are going to get dominated in the trenches by good offensive lines.

I don't think we have the horses to win shootouts either.

I would not be surprised to see us give up 200+ on the ground multiple times this year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bad defensive line = bad defense. You simply cannot scheme around it. We are going to get dominated in the trenches by good offensive lines.

I don't think we have the horses to win shootouts either.

I would not be surprised to see us give up 200+ on the ground multiple times this year.

This is a big fear for me as well. Keys for me on the DL: healthy productive Shawn Green, quality backup for Gotsis, and Whitehead to pan out.