My take on DL recruiting and why it is difficult for us!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
First and foremost is the numbers of the high school kids at the 290 and over lbs. There are a lot of very good kids in the entire nation in the 150 to 280lbs!! Enough of those to fill out 14 positions for every college team to get some good players for their 85 man roster! Now for those 290 and over to fill out 8 positions there just isn't near the numbers available. It really makes it tough competition compared to all those smaller kids!! Now also the ncaa has made things much tougher for Tech to recruit any position; because of the degree progression!! For a lot of the kids there is not near the number of kids in the gray area of acceptance!!! Just 3 or 4 years ago that rule was put into effect!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and then he follows that with "....and they have to qualify academically".[/QUOTE Kinda what I quoted which is about the progression toward their degree! The kids have to be on track for 5 years toward the degree! That is just a very few years old!!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No way HS OL are that much more academically advanced than DL. Absurd.

Without building a better D we will forever have those 2 to 3 "what the hell?" games a year

Ok, so flat out no PC, most D-lineman are not exactly the smart guy in the class. the position requires very little thinking and more just brute force. The Derrick Morgan's of the world are few and far between.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so flat out no PC, most D-lineman are not exactly the smart guy in the class. the position requires very little thinking and more just brute force. The Derrick Morgan's of the world are few and far between.
Well … maybe. I think the truth might be closer to: "Why should I work too hard in school? I'm so good somebody will take me and make college easy for me." I.e. pretty much the same thing that a lot of good QBs say to themselves. The competition for them makes it easy to ignore your school work, if you are so inclined. I've known some of these guys and most of them are shrewd as loan sharks. They never got called on to use or expand their talents.

And, yes, there aren't that many Derrick Morgans out there. Too bad.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There aren't many of them at all. Look, this isn't just a problem for us...it's a problem for just about everyone. There's a reason those guys go so high in the NFL draft, you know...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nothing new here. It takes creativity and a wide geographic recruiting strategy to get the big nasties that would want to be at GT and can hack GT. This right here is why sa(t)an has such a dominant team every year. He basically gets 3-5 of these very limited quantity guys every year. No other team in the country gets as many of the high end DT's and DE's than sa(t)an. I think if GT can get 2-3 by recruiting nationwide every year, it would make a huge difference, but it is easy to say and hard to do.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Pass rushers (DE and 3-4 OLBs) are the NFL commodity. There are lots more athletes with those frames that we nab than true DTs. NFL, though, has far fewer teams and doesn't have to turn over its roster every 4 years nor keep someone academically eligible. Some DTs do go high, but they are much more special in terms of rarity than the pass rushers. Nonetheless, a big body that's stout against the run and will maintain gap integrity is the main focus so that you can free up edge rushers. Those guys don't rack up stats or hype, so the market is artificially low.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
First and foremost is the numbers of the high school kids at the 290 and over lbs. There are a lot of very good kids in the entire nation in the 150 to 280lbs!! Enough of those to fill out 14 positions for every college team to get some good players for their 85 man roster! Now for those 290 and over to fill out 8 positions there just isn't near the numbers available. It really makes it tough competition compared to all those smaller kids!! Now also the ncaa has made things much tougher for Tech to recruit any position; because of the degree progression!! For a lot of the kids there is not near the number of kids in the gray area of acceptance!!! Just 3 or 4 years ago that rule was put into effect!

A good observation. You can find some that are big. You can find some that are fast. But it is very hard to find any that are big AND fast. Defensive tackles are precious and few except for the football factories that seem to have no problem getting them. The rest of us must make do with the long, hard, slow process of turning defensive ends into tackles, linebackers into ends, hoping and praying that a prospect, perhaps better suited for offense, develops into a defensive tackle, or perhaps making the best of things by using someone too small or not fast enough or some combination of the two. Offensive tackles (in our system) and defensive tackles are the hardest positions to recruit and will remain so. It's just the way it is.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Putting the Ivy league, Stanford, Northwestern, and Service Academies aside, The highest GPA on any college football team is always going to be the Offensive Linemen. It is what it is.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pass rushers (DE and 3-4 OLBs) are the NFL commodity. There are lots more athletes with those frames that we nab than true DTs. NFL, though, has far fewer teams and doesn't have to turn over its roster every 4 years nor keep someone academically eligible. Some DTs do go high, but they are much more special in terms of rarity than the pass rushers. Nonetheless, a big body that's stout against the run and will maintain gap integrity is the main focus so that you can free up edge rushers. Those guys don't rack up stats or hype, so the market is artificially low.

What is the average number of years a DT plays in the NFL? I would guess it's around 3. Being that large puts a lot of stress on the frame as does the hand to hand fighting and impacts. When you are that big, the ground must hit back harder.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Putting the Ivy league, Stanford, Northwestern, and Service Academies aside, The highest GPA on any college football team is always going to be the Offensive Linemen. It is what it is.

Centers are usually the smartest player on the team