My post Spring two deep - offense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
These are JMO and how I would label the two deep post spring.

1st team

QB - Justin Thomas
A Back - Deon Hill
A Back - Synjyn Days
B Back - Zach Laskey
WR - DeAndre Smelter
WR - Micheal Summers
LT - Chris Griffin
LG - Trey Braun
C - Freddie Burden
RG - Shaq Mason
RT - Bryan Chamberlain

2nd team

QB - Tim Byerly
A Back - Tony Zenon
A Back - Broderick Snoddy
B Back - Travis Custis
WR - Darren Waller
WR - Anthony Autry
LT - Errin Joe
LG - Shamire Devine
C - Thomas O'Reily
RG - Nick Brigham
RT - Michael Muns

* To be clear just because someone is listed as second string doesn't mean they would be the first person off the bench...for example if someone like Chris Griffin and Bryan Chamberlain is out we would start Errin Joe and someone like Nick Brigham at T or slide Braun out to T and start Devine at C.

* I am confident that Deon Hill is ready to go by the Fall...but I am not confident on Chase Roberts which is why I did not include him on the depth chart.

* Once again this list is official by no means.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I noticed Perkins didn't make the list either, he looks so good to me with the ball in his hands. Is he still hurt or just not good enough in all facets to crack the two deep?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I noticed Perkins didn't make the list either, he looks so good to me with the ball in his hands. Is he still hurt or just not good enough in all facets to crack the two deep?

Really the A back depth chart is shaky...Not a lot of difference from one to five...and I had Perkins 5. I left him off the list due to him being injured this Spring and not getting to see him. He will still be a factor.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Stallard is above muns I thought. also didn't think snoddy would crack the two deep. Chamberlain scares the **** outa me. Don't understand why we don't kick Braun or burden out there and have shamire at gaurd

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Dennis Andrews is definitely on the AB two deep, if not starting...unless you know something about him that we don't (outside of 2 game suspension). Zenon had a good spring, but Snoddy just isn't at the same level Andrews was last year.

I still find it odd that O'Reilly was the starting C until the Spring Game. I've said it before, if Burden beats out O'Reilly, I think Burden will end up an All-ACC caliber center. I actually think we'll be good there for a while.

I think Anthony Autry won't have as much playing time as he got his freshmen year. He's coming off two knee injuries, and he's going to be suspended the first two games. Not only does he have to fight off rust, he's going to have to fight to get out of CPJ's doghouse. I think Smelter, Summers, Waller, and Corey Dennis will be the 2 deep...once Waller comes back from suspension. Dennis isn't a receiving threat, but CPJ likes him as a reliable blocker.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Stallard is above muns I thought. also didn't think snoddy would crack the two deep. Chamberlain scares the **** outa me. Don't understand why we don't kick Braun or burden out there and have shamire at gaurd

Stallard likely is but I like Muns upside.

Coaches were actually impressed with improvement from Chamberlain this Spring...so we will see what happens with that. But I am worried as well.

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think Dennis Andrews is definitely on the AB two deep, if not starting...unless you know something about him that we don't (outside of 2 game suspension). Zenon had a good spring, but Snoddy just isn't at the same level Andrews was last year.

I still find it odd that O'Reilly was the starting C until the Spring Game. I've said it before, if Burden beats out O'Reilly, I think Burden will end up an All-ACC caliber center. I actually think we'll be good there for a while.

I think Anthony Autry won't have as much playing time as he got his freshmen year. He's coming off two knee injuries, and he's going to be suspended the first two games. Not only does he have to fight off rust, he's going to have to fight to get out of CPJ's doghouse. I think Smelter, Summers, Waller, and Corey Dennis will be the 2 deep...once Waller comes back from suspension. Dennis isn't a receiving threat, but CPJ likes him as a reliable blocker.

Andrews is in the doghouse as of now...and CPJ has said he wants to see better blocking and consistency out of Andrews. However I do think he has the most potential out of the group...but as of now I am confident others are ahead of him.

Burden and O'Reily went after it all Spring...Burden got switched to the starting C the Wednesday before the Spring game.

Autry really gets after it blocking and looked good this Spring when he was healthy. We will see what happens but I am confident he earns playing time this season.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I guess I don't follow recruiting as closely as I thought....stallard and muns? Are these walk ons? I don't remember their signings

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
No Bostic or Perk in AB 2-deep, huh? Do you think Zenon is working out of the doghouse? That confident in Hill coming right back in and starting? I, too, thought he would be Orwin 2.0 a couple of years ago, but seems like he would have to fight back up the chart. Good discussion, though.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I too thought that Burden quickly going to 1st unit at Srg game was interesting/odd.
LOL-it says something about our talent at AB if Hill really is on 1st unit after NOT playing in Spg.I guess -- if you don't play ,you don't show what you can't do(like others).I still think at least one Sr AB will not come back which would be good for Andrews..
Scary that our Oline still has walk-ons in 2 deep.( this is not Godhigh)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I can see Hill "starting" if healthy but I see Zenon being on the field more. I still see Andrews and Perkins above Snoddy even if Andrews is in the doghouse. I agree with all the other positions.

These are JMO and how I would label the two deep post spring.

1st team

QB - Justin Thomas
A Back - Deon Hill
A Back - Synjyn Days
B Back - Zach Laskey
WR - DeAndre Smelter
WR - Micheal Summers
LT - Chris Griffin
LG - Trey Braun
C - Freddie Burden
RG - Shaq Mason
RT - Bryan Chamberlain

2nd team

QB - Tim Byerly
A Back - Tony Zenon
A Back - Broderick Snoddy
B Back - Travis Custis
WR - Darren Waller
WR - Anthony Autry
LT - Errin Joe
LG - Shamire Devine
C - Thomas O'Reily
RG - Nick Brigham
RT - Michael Muns

* To be clear just because someone is listed as second string doesn't mean they would be the first person off the bench...for example if someone like Chris Griffin and Bryan Chamberlain is out we would start Errin Joe and someone like Nick Brigham at T or slide Braun out to T and start Devine at C.

* I am confident that Deon Hill is ready to go by the Fall...but I am not confident on Chase Roberts which is why I did not include him on the depth chart.

Thanks Eric. Looks like a solid team.

* Once again this list is official by no means.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Note that we are 3 deep + one at AB (7 pretty good players); 3 deep ar WR +one (7 pretty good players); 4 deep at BB; 2 deep at QB and C and LG; but struggling for depth and a starter on the rest of the OL. Fortunately our incoming freshmen will help this imbalance in the future but we will suffer with OL depth this season. We will need some performance from Muns/Stallard, walk-ons or not.....or one of the true freshmen or move one of those DT to OL. Staying healthy or having Roberts available will make a big difference.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I really hope Bostic steps up this year. I have said that before, but the combo of Days and Bostic could be a good one.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I really hope Bostic steps up this year. I have said that before, but the combo of Days and Bostic could be a good one.

These two are probably the best two pass receivers, one is a blocker and the other is not, and neither are our best runners. Andrews, Hill, Zenon, and Perkins are better outside runners (though Days is strong for short yardage). IMO Snoody has yet to prove his blocking/pass catching/running and Bostic is still running into the blocker/blockee. Maybe instead of an AB rotation that seems somewhat random relative to the play, the best ABs will be put in the game for the play called.