My post Spring two deep - defense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I know Eric will have the scoop. From what I was told by Kelly, before he departed for FSU, and Roof. Griffin is a beast. His injury set him back one year, and of you can recall, he was set to play as a true freshman. Roof felt like they were deep at Safety and thin at corner. After evaluating the possible players to transition , Roof felt like Griffin would be a good field side corner because of his ability to stop the run and his speed. The problem no one considered was that Griffin never played corner. I am sure you know that corner is a position where you're on a island all by yourself. It takes a lot more skills than Safety. Griffin had to learn the position. Another setback was the move was the move from Safety to Corner was made a couple of weeks before the season began. Factor in the coaching changes and you see it slowed the process of Griffin learning the position. No disrespect to Coach Speed but he is more of a LB/S coach. Not really a corner coach who can train and challenge the corners. Griffin has been working with DJ White as well as a couple of NFL corners. He will get tested by teams this year but he will be ok. Sorry for jumping in Eric. Lol

You answered it better than I could have! Thanks!

The staff is still high on Griffin...he has all the tools.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Does Demond Smith have the 5th DB position locked up? We really weren’t able to see much of him in the spring game. It seems like Noble has the more prototypical size for that position. Maybe even Marvin too.

Yeah he pretty much does.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What about Anthony Harrell? When will he be ready to go? Is he a man without a position now that we are going with a 4-2-5?

He will be ready when the camp starts is what I was last told...the staff really wants him back. I'm sure they will find somewhere for him. I know he will get all the snaps at ILB when we use a 4-3. He can move around pretty well so we could see some OLB from him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think its going to be a heck of a battle between JHD, Freeman and Whitehead.
Gotta say...I think Days will start at one of the end spots. If one of the other two guys "beats him out" at WDE he most likely plays SDE imo. DE just seems like the right fit for his size and skills. Hoping he really blossoms at the spot.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know Eric will have the scoop. From what I was told by Kelly, before he departed for FSU, and Roof. Griffin is a beast. His injury set him back one year, and of you can recall, he was set to play as a true freshman. Roof felt like they were deep at Safety and thin at corner. After evaluating the possible players to transition , Roof felt like Griffin would be a good field side corner because of his ability to stop the run and his speed. The problem no one considered was that Griffin never played corner. I am sure you know that corner is a position where you're on a island all by yourself. It takes a lot more skills than Safety. Griffin had to learn the position. Another setback was the move was the move from Safety to Corner was made a couple of weeks before the season began. Factor in the coaching changes and you see it slowed the process of Griffin learning the position. No disrespect to Coach Speed but he is more of a LB/S coach. Not really a corner coach who can train and challenge the corners. Griffin has been working with DJ White as well as a couple of NFL corners. He will get tested by teams this year but he will be ok. Sorry for jumping in Eric. Lol
Hey u know that cb athletes conquer technique in college!!!! But i hear u. Total different spot. The reaction and read progressions are 180. S is inside out and cb is flats out.

Hey are u a tech fan? If so why?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Gotta say...I think Days will start at one of the end spots. If one of the other two guys "beats him out" at WDE he most likely plays SDE imo. DE just seems like the right fit for his size and skills. Hoping he really blossoms at the spot.

I don't think so. I think Stargel has the job locked up at SDE.

I was told during the Spring that if he wanted to start this year he better take the WDE spot or else he would be on the bench fwiw.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey u know that cb athletes conquer technique in college!!!! But i hear u. Total different spot. The reaction and read progressions are 180. S is inside out and cb is flats out.

Hey are u a tech fan? If so why?
First I am a fan of football. I know a few GT players who where in the league. I am a former player myself (Buffalo Bills and Carolina Panthers). Didn't play much because of heart problems. I am a fan of Lynn Griffin, DJ White, Justin Thomas, Adam Gostis, and a few others . Lynn Griffin's dad runs a program that trains and educates athletes. I have volunteered for a few events along with Marco Coleman.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Does this mean Stargel is better than many here say?.....or Days is not as good as I had assumed?
Same page as I am. I don't like Stargell ability, he has a very low cieling in my opinion. I honestly think JHD needs to be at linebacker. Everytime I think of the USC bowl win, I think of how amazing he looked that day. Let whitehead or freeman have his chance. One of the reasons they moved him down there was because they didn't know what type of contribution freeman would make. He's proven enough to get on the field as the number two to whitehead IMO. Fall practice should be very interesting

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lynn_griffin_803545.html
Quick google search has told me that Leonard Larramore is Lynn Griffin's Uncle....
Great detective work but I am not. Lonnie Marts and myself have watched what Lynn's father is accomplishing in the inner city. We have volunteered with his events and We often refer to each other as brothers. Therefore Lynn calls me his uncle. We are not really related. Another very important note. When I had a heart attack about 8 years ago it was Lynn's father whose fast thinking saved my life. So this is why I follow his son and have grown to be a fan of the Yellow Jackets.

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Freeman is going to be a GREAT WDE for us. I just don't know if it is going to be this year. Saying Stargell has SDE locked up worries me some. I have yet to see any game tape where he dictated much of anything. He plays with intensity and a motor, but he looks like a depth provider to me, not somebody who will force an OC to have to account for him. I hope I am wrong. He may not be a drop off from Dieke, but we need to raise that bar. That was not a very productive position for us the last few seasons. I am rooting for the kid, but I am still concerned.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want to have 7-8 guys who can all contribute somewhere on the DL so we can have a meaningful rotation. To me, that's way more important than who plays what position.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm actually not down at all on Stargell. He's just a young player and I haven't seen him in a lot of action. Anticipated more play from him next year. So he's ahead of what I had anticipated so far.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Does this mean Stargel is better than many here say?.....or Days is not as good as I had assumed?

We do not have the big guys at the moment to play either DEs. Fortunately most of these guys have LB skills or have played LB and have quickness and play really well in space. Stargel, the biggest, may struggle somewhat when the play is right at him but he seems to react well and cover a lot of ground in pursuit. In conjunction with our other quick players and our aggressive inside LBs this may work out really well. I like Roof's scheme of putting quicker and more instinctive players (like Davis and Freeman and hopefully Days and Stargel) on the field.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We do not have the big guys at the moment to play either DEs. Fortunately most of these guys have LB skills or have played LB and have quickness and play really well in space. Stargel, the biggest, may struggle somewhat when the play is right at him but he seems to react well and cover a lot of ground in pursuit. In conjunction with our other quick players and our aggressive inside LBs this may work out really well. I like Roof's scheme of putting quicker and more instinctive players (like Davis and Freeman and hopefully Days and Stargel) on the field.
I am expecting more and varied blitz packages this year than in the recent past. As an adjunct, will we see more press on the corners?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I am expecting more and varied blitz packages this year than in the recent past. As an adjunct, will we see more press on the corners?

With our personnel I would expect better contain on the edges against the pass from our DEs and more inside rush from the LBs and Gotsis, with a DB coming from the edge occasionally.