My Notes on UVA

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Well, this was not fun to watch live or in review. This game was much more about us beating ourselves rather than UVA beating us.

Defense
Our D stayed on the field a lot. They had some chances to get themselves off the field on 3rd and long, but sustained a lot of the UVA's drives for them. UVA had a lot false starts, but we were only able to get the off the field on 3 of them.

Gostis leaving the game early hurt really bad. We did not get a lot of push in the middle of the D line, and a lot of our gap blitzes were picked up because they did not have to double team our DTs.

CPJ has said effort is not the problem. I totally agree here. On D we try so hard that we take ourselves out of the play by over running, or we give ourselves a bad angle at making a tackle. I really like PJ Davis, but he is a bad tackler. Most of his tackles are intimidation tackles where he comes in so fast that the player goes down anticpating a hit, or stops allowing other defenders to make the tackle.

We had more speed on D than UVA. I think part of the reason we played so well against the FSU run game was that they had more speed than we did. We did not have time to overrun the play. We need to focus on the fundamentals during the bye week. We can get a lot better with the talent we have.

Offense
I don't pretend to be knowledgeable on our offense. We have a lot of folks around here that are, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I think Brian, Lynch, RJ, BS are all going to be good players. If there is a group that is really improving it is our WR. They have become more physical and seem to be on the same page as JT more often. There are a myriad of little things that need to improve, but progress is being made.

AB blocking is a big concern. I see minimal improvement there. We do not block through the defender, we seem to chip them. I seem to recall that we count takedowns in our postgame assessment. I gurantee that last year we had a ton more takedowns per game.

The OL has some major communication issues. It seems that sporadically we have two or three guys running the wrong blocking scheme, or play. There were several scratch your head plays where we had two folks taking the same guy while an untouched defender made the tackle. I am not sure why we seem so confused, maybe someone with a better understanding of the offense can comment.

On to VT!