1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

My mid-term election forecast

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by grandpa jacket, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Jophish17

Jophish17 Helluva Engineer

You see this a lot (and I understand why some might think this is the case) but studies show the opposite.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0020731418791963

This is the interesting point for me:
    This is not a new concept, either:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696660/

2. Jophish17

Jophish17 Helluva Engineer

I don’t really have a strong opinion on this - I understand your argument about depressed wages - but has a country ever collapsed under “too many” immigrants? Or even “too few”? What defines “too many”? Serious question because I can’t think of an example. Sweden and Germany took in a ton of immigrants in 2015 and are still doing relatively well. Italy too immigrants too and they are less well-off but Italy’s been in the dumpster much longer.

3. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Bigger problem is the Russian strategy to delegitimize our elections has proven effective once again. How is it in certain precincts there’s complete & utter lack of control over voting? Missing machines, boxes of ballots in closets, car trunks, etc. People voting by email????? Voting machines that are easily hackable.

You can’t get thru airport security without being accosted, but you can vote for our country with absolutely no safeguards. And now we have areas where they’re allowing illegals to vote, efforts to allow 16 year olds to vote, etc. Where does it stop?

4. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Why do you want to let it go and see if we collapse? Isn’t the fact that almost 150 million Americans are getting income-based assistance payments from the government enough? Think about that number. We have so many people unable to make ends meet - why? Why have middle and working class families not seen a pay raise in decades? But the rich are doing fine. It’s because if you quit, there are 5 more people who will take that job for even less.

Those studies on immigrants adding to our economy are poppycock. It’s like Pelosi saying unemployment checks spur the economy. They DO, but at a great cost. If the government spent $2T tomorrow, it would have a large stimulative effect. But that’s unsustainable.

5. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

On a side note, there are huge flaws with these studies upon first glance. I don’t know that anybody is criticizing illegal immigrants for example or insinuating they’re as fat as Americans. We’re talking about emergency room costs for illegal immigrants, which I didn’t see covered anywhere. We’re talking about the costs of education and so on. Illegal immigrants aren’t supposed to be able to get government paid for healhcare. Wage suppression is a huge issue - there are studies that show close to a 50% effect, which have been posted here earlier, but you can google that. That’s THE issue - it’s hard for regular working folks to break even. I don’t know of anybody who wants illegal immigration decreased because of rumored high healthcare subsidies. I mean, people worry about it state to state, because some states help, but that’s a far removed fear on down the list.

Immigration is the lifeblood of our country. Always has been and always will be. But we reserve the right to try and increase or decrease it as our own citizens needs dictate.

6. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

The first article refers to public and private insurance costs and the out of pocket payments by undocumented. In other words, it was looking at more than undocumented immigrants. It's beside the point.

The issue of undocumented immigrants using emergency rooms without the ability to pay is not the focus of that study.

7. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

The Immigration Act of 1990 allows for 700,000 legal immigrations per year. In my mind, this number probably isn’t arbitrary. It was probably calculated based on the number of immigrants we could accept without negatively impacting our economy and resources. If we want more immigrants, legislation should be passed to increase the number of legal immigrants but everyone that comes into this country should do so by legal means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwelbo likes this.
  8. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

I for one would be very curious to see the analysis you refer to in this point. I might learn something.

9. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Simply put, you can never make a definitive statement like he did. It may be today, but might not next year. Our economy and workforce goes through major changes and fluxes over the years. There will be times when we need 2x as many immigrants, and probably tines we need 0. Such a statement that someone is a racist because they simply want to debate the current level of immigration is unnecessary, insulting, and a typical tactic to end the discussion.

10. LibertyTurns

Agree with this except the part about it not being arbitrary. There’s likely to be some sort of farcical analysis by some paid politico think tank as the basis of the Act, but it’s extremely unlikely it has a rational basis like you suggest.

11. LibertyTurns

12. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Decide all races for Republicans, and end recounts. That’s the appropriate remedy. Fire all employees involved and cancel any retirement benefits.

My guess is none of that happens.

13. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

I’d like to know if this is a judge ruling on law or a judge acting as a legislator.

“U.S. Chief Judge Mark Walker ruled Thursday that voters should have until Saturday to correct signatures on ballots, a move that could open the door for these ballots returned with altered forms to be counted.”

14. LibertyTurns

Lawyers that are incapable of ruling properly on the law should be disbarred. Do this enough and you’ll put an end to the activist judges. It’s one thing to make a controversial ruling on a gray area, it’s quite another to disregard a clear law or rule and apply a legislative fix from the bench. If he wanted to be a Congressman, he should have ran for office.

bwelbo and GT_05 like this.
  15. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I have a hard time believing there is any law that allows for voters to touch, alter, or change anything about their ballot after it has been submitted.

16. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

I dont have a problem with this, it seems this serves both purposes. We have ballots that were cast, if the voters cant verify who they are then the ballot is tossed, if they do verify then they should have been able to vote anyway.

17. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

Neither of these studies address ILLEGAL immigrant impact on the medical system but compares U.S. born vs Non US born immigrants who have insurance.

It should be common sense that ILLEGALS, cant get insurance even when employed. They cannot be taxed via payroll tax b/c they dont have Social Security numbers and when they go to the hospital and dont/can't pay WE legal citizens, non and US born, supplement the system. Our insurance cost are more because the cost of uncollected debt is figured into our price.

Several years ago Clayton County dedicated several million dollars to bail out Southern Regional Hospital for uncollected patient debt as it had for several years prior to that budget. The hospital eventually announced they were headed to bankruptcy and sold to a system out of state. Not all uncollected debt is the responsibility of ILLEGALs but a portion of it was. Therefore the citizens of Clayton County paid that debt.

18. collegeballfan

collegeballfan Helluva Engineer

"Every tax season, millions of undocumented immigrants file their taxes with the federal government -- even though they could easily get away without doing so.
    Out of the nearly 11.1 million undocumented immigrants estimated to be living in the U.S., Pew Research projected that there were about 8 million in the workforce in 2014.
    …unauthorized immigrant workers and their employers contributed $13 billion in payroll taxes in 2010, its most current estimate."

https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/19/news/economy/undocumented-immigrant-taxes/index.html

19. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

11 million, LOL

Also, do the math on the average wages that correlates to across 8 million workers who did pay their taxes. LOL.

Also, then figure out why since you're supposed to prove your citizenship before you're able to work, how that's even possible to have such a lawless society. Plus, you're supposed to match those payroll taxes against social security numbers.

GT_05 likes this.
  20. GT_05

GT_05 Helluva Engineer

11 million? The population of illegal immigrants in the U.S. is greater than the entire population of Georgia? How do you file taxes without a SSN? I’m assuming that people who gained entry into the country illegally are not given a SSN.