My Lot In Life

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Lol. No, I'm quite serious. The explanation is pretty easy actually. Most of the middle-to-upper tier TP is made up heavily of Eucalyptus pulp. That comes from South America. There was a serious shipping container shortage already, and the cluster in the Suez put a lot of containers on the water for a few weeks longer than expected. Now the shortage of containers is severe, and the Euc pulp can't get to the US. The price of domestic pulp that might be able to substitute has tripled in a week. And there's not enough of it...no one wants a pulp mill in their backyard in the US so who'd building them these days?

So most people in the industry are expecting some shortages that shut down tissue mills. Like most of our supply chain, it's pretty tightly balanced so it won't take much before there are empty shelves. Not a guarantee we'll see empty shelves, but as I told my friends...if I'm wrong it only means that you have an extra 24 pack of TP in the cupboard for a few weeks.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I hope something positive happens for you today.
Thanks, but the comment on being embarrassed about what I do (38 years in the paper business) was super tongue in cheek. When I worked at a pulp mill and friends would comment on the way pulp mills smell I'd tell them "It smells better than the **** you'd have on you without it, and a bit like money to me." :)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, but the comment on being embarrassed about what I do (38 years in the paper business) was super tongue in cheek. When I worked at a pulp mill and friends would comment on the way pulp mills smell I'd tell them "It smells better than the **** you'd have on you without it, and a bit like money to me." :)
Somebody has to deal with this crap. Thanks keeping us all comfy and clean

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
My comment was to boger in a recruiting thread. Not sure how it ended here stunningly as a reply to you. 🤷🏻‍♂️