My Issues With Our Coaching

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I find that I have become more and more frustrated with our coaching as the years roll by. So I wanted to share my thoughts and see what others thought.

I have tried very hard to separate out the frustrations that come from losing football games because that in and of itself is not sufficient to the issue of coaching. I honestly think our talent level is such that we are never going to be able to take the route Clemson has taken, where they simply recruit pro type players and then can play and scheme they like and do it successfully because they have physical superiority. That has never been GT and never will be. Some will say our recruiting could be better. If true, I view that as an Administration issue, not a coaching issue. So I will speak no more to it here.

My coaching issues on each side of the ball:
DEFENSE-I find that I intensely dislike the vanilla "bend but don't break" defensive schemes that we play. I think in all cases when you are likely to face teams more talented than you (as we often will) that you must scheme to roll the dice to force errors. I am fully aware that such an approach may backfire, but it you are going to lose playing "vanilla" defense, does it really matter if you lose by a larger score because you decided to games on defense?

As an example, I spent yesterday's 3rd quarter really watching our defense. I watched how we lined up on every snap, how we played each play. Here we are, trailing by two TD's in the 3rd quarter against a team that clearly had equal to or slightly better talent on the field. Might this not be the time to gamble a bit on defense? Nope, not GT. We lined up in our standard package on every play. Only once did we shift our defensive players after our initial line-up. Only once did we blitz. Once in an entire quarter. There was NO attempt to disguise or confuse the QB. And there was NO attack or gamble on defense.

One can call this successful because we held on all but one series. I call it a failure because we did not play to win, we played to make it look good. We played a game where the only way we could have won was to hope that our opponent made the kind of dumb mistakes we made in the 1st half. I would much prefer to play a game where we game and try to force such mistakes. It seemed very likely to me by the 2nd half that Miami wasn't going to defeat themselves. Does it really matter to anyone that we lose 35-21 vs 49-21? Not to me!

And an attacking, aggressive Tenuta style defense was the ONLY way we realistically could hope to get back into the game. Without any turnovers or short fields, we would be doomed to getting at least 3 long TD drives in the 2nd half simply to force OT. With only 5 possessions likely, that's a very tall order.

OFFENSE-Once again, I want a scheme which recognizes the reality that we don't have the best athletes and still gives us a fighting chance to win games against superior opponents. For that reason, for the longest time, I have supported and liked CPJ's offensive scheme. However, the last two years, in watching this offense and others, I have decided that there is a problem. Essentially, the problem is that I think too many players have to execute well on any given play for our offense to work well. This shows up as "execution problems" or offensive line problems, when in reality it is that too may guys have to execute their assignment on each play for it to work and when just 1 or 2 guys fail (and often it isn;t just a lineman, often is is an A back or WR) then the play blows up and looks horrid.

When I watch some of th either offensive schemes out there, specifically the type of schemes that Clemson runs (for example) I notice that most passes are extremely short throws that can be executed so quickly it is almost impossible to get a pass rush on the QB. Heck, in the 1st half of our game with Clemson, their O line could have simply stood in our way without even trying to block and we couldn't have gotten to Watson on the vast majority of his passes. What that offense demands to have a chance is a good QB and some (a few, maybe 2) really superior WR's.. The number of guys who have to execute well on any given play is, often 2. The QB and the WR. The line doesn't matter because the pass is so fast their blocking becomes irrelevant.

I am no offensive genius, so while I use Clemson's scheme as a comparison, I am NOT claiming we could have the same success they have with it. They have superior athletes at every position and can execute many more plays and possibilities in ushc an offense than we could.

My point is simply that in CPJ's scheme, too many moving parts have to all work. While in other offenses, it appears to my uneducated eye that they can sometimes be effective with fewer moving parts working at the same time.

[Sid note,: I do also think that our opponents had some initial disadvantages in playing agains this scheme the first 5 years or so, but all have now gotten used to it and play it effectively on defense. However, that doesn't mean we have been "figured out". I think it means their players react more quickly now because they have seen it over and over again where in the first few years it was till new to them.]

This shows up in coach speak as discussions about how we need to simplify our offense. But CPJ will never really change this offense...it is what he knows and when it works it is a thing of beauty. I am not sure I would argue for CPJ to change things...but I am arguing that we change both our offensive and defensive schemes to recognize our physical disadvantages, and give ourselves a chance for the occasional upset.

I do tend to agree as well that CPJ hasn't done a good job in ht hiring and retention of assistants. This isn't a matter to me of looking at guys like Charles Kelly or Womack who have had some success elsewhere (they have also has failures, and much of their success is related simply to the superiority when they had great athletes.) But our line play has been such an issue for so long and we just really haven't made any changes there.

At any rate, my bottom line is that GT is likely to remind 6-6 or 7-5 type of program because we will not do the thing necessary to recruit superior athletes, BUT we could give ourselves a better chance sometime with more aggressive defensive schemes and simpler offensive schemes that take advantage of the skill sets of a few players. We might have lost to Clemson by 52-7 playing that way, but we might have beaten Miami 38-35 playing that way.

Just my 2 cents. I am really now bored with what I see with GT football and feel like the results are quite predictable.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good points. I think we all agree that we have systemic issues (above the FB program) and restraints. What has been puzzling to me is the fact that our last coaches (20+) years have been able to be good to exceptional on only one side of the ball AND poor to marginal on the other. Pair CCG's (or CJT's) defenses with CGO'L or CPJ's defense and we would have been significantly better (I know...coulda, woulda, shoulda) as a program (consistent top 25 program?). I don't know why that is and would love to hear from our coaches and former coaches. Yes, we DO have restrictions but it only seems to effect one side of the $%#@ ball at a time! I thought coaching stability and tenure would help a coach troubleshoot and resolve those issues. Still hoping CPJ can and that he gets some help from above in the heavy lifting from above (the new AD).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't matter what offense you run, each player has to do his assignment. A QB has to be able read the defense and make the right checks.

UF and SCar run a more common O and only scored 13 against Vandy this year. We scored 38 with MJ moving the O from QB for a good bit. CU held Lolvl to only 10 pts in firsr 9 drives, and us 7.

I'm stumped by our D. I agree that we don't seem to be maximizing our opportunities or doing enough to disguise our intent.

Scubapro

Banned
Valid points in this post. My issue with getting rid our head coach has to do with the systemic issues brought up in the previous post. Both CCG and CPJ had to vet their recruits thru the hill before they could send offers. This was the policy for the first 4 years of their tenure until they “proved” that they would recruit quality students. I suspect that there are still some of these restrictions in place. This means you can’t take many risks in recruiting in an already small pool of candidates and have to prioritize which guys you go after. CCG or I should say Tenuda set the priorities on D. While CPJ and GOL / Fridge focused on the O. I think we can be competitive in recruiting but in order to achieve this we would need to build a “Consultant Staff” like Bama with 25+ people scouring the entire country looking for the right type of student athlete. This again will cost a pile of money to start and maintain.

It’s my understanding that Tech had a huge endowment but none of it gets allocated to the GTAA. Can some confirm this?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I agree with your overall post. On offense my conclusion is the blocking is too complex because we hear and see many missed assignments. After all these years, it's not the players faults since they are the best CPJ could recruit for his O but that the O is too complex for what he can recruit. Just like Groh making the D too hard. But for the D, it may be that by staying basic we play a lot faster and more effectively than we would making things more complex. I don't know since I don't understand the nuances.

Yeah, I'm bored too with our football. I don't get upset when we lose anymore. And it's not just me. We are getting fewer and fewer people to our game watchings. IIWII.

Baseball season is coming.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My biggest question is even if we stick with the vanilla game plan on defense. Why do we never show different looks pre snap to try and confuse a qb?!?!

We do but we appear not to be doing the small things like timing the disguise up with snap count or just hold that disguise running into our designated area aka baiting.

I don't understand the bored comment. Are you expecting us to have upsets every weekend? Would you rather us run shotgun while getting pummeled? Would you rather Wisconsin/Michigan type of game? I know this opinion based but yesterday was far from boring especially watching our backs in space.

As for coaching, I think we are good preparing our players but struggle mightily act the techniques of the game. Have you watched our guys blitz? Count how you ever seen our guys try something other than try to run thru guys. The OLine is so assignment focused that literally have lost all awareness on the field. Its I need to get to the LB so bad, that the DLineman passing us getting TFLs

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's face facts, we consistently recruit players year after year that the recruiting services rate as average for P5 football teams. It becomes a glaring reality when we play teams like Clemson. Actually our coaches get a big bang for the buck based on the talent rating of our players. PJ just doesn't seem to be one of those piped piper type of recruiters that can charm kids. I believe that he doesn't particularly like recruiting. I do have some criticism of his scheme being difficult for the OL to execute consistently but on defense we do nothing different than most of the other teams but with average rated players. Why would we think we could dominate other teams defensively with just average rated players. PJ must think he just needs to slow the other team down because his O will out score the other teams more often than not. TR does seem to have upped our recruiting of better defensive players the last couple of years. That is encouraging but not sure there is enough ingenuity in our defense to overcome "average".

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just one quick comment...our defense does NOT disguise or fake anything. We set in our vanilla 4-3 scheme, and that's that until the ball is snapped. Miami ran their LB's up into the gaps pre-snap, faked the blitz..sometimes they came, sometimes they backed off once the ball was snapped.....every good defense I have seen does that (Clemson was doing it last night to Louisville)....but we ...just...don't.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally think PJ would have to be a heck of a salesman (to the point of unrealistic to expect) to overcome the recruiting barriers to significantly move the bar in recruiting ranking. The first barrier is the school itself and I personally believe most of that is due to limited majors. The other barriers are self inflicted. There is a large negative stigma about the offense to overcome. It doesn't matter if the negativities are based in fact or not - it is there.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
We do but we appear not to be doing the small things like timing the disguise up with snap count or just hold that disguise running into our designated area aka baiting.

I don't understand the bored comment. Are you expecting us to have upsets every weekend? Would you rather us run shotgun while getting pummeled? Would you rather Wisconsin/Michigan type of game? I know this opinion based but yesterday was far from boring especially watching our backs in space.

As for coaching, I think we are good preparing our players but struggle mightily act the techniques of the game. Have you watched our guys blitz? Count how you ever seen our guys try something other than try to run thru guys. The OLine is so assignment focused that literally have lost all awareness on the field. Its I need to get to the LB so bad, that the DLineman passing us getting TFLs
I'll take your word as you know infinitely more than I do on the subject. I just feel like every time we line up it looks like we are running a standard 43 / 425 on madden. Not really any movement. Just frozen in a stance waiting for the play.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I didn't read the whole post, but we have to recruit better athletes. CPJ has won everywhere he has been. I am beyond frustrated, but we have tried every offense, but the single wing in my lifetime. With the exception of Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton, and an odd year here and there, it hasn't been the offensive scheme.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We run bend don't break for several reasons.
1) We don't get to the QB under 3.0 seconds with any consistency
2) We aren't as fast in the secondary as we were last year
3) We are pretty nasty in the red zone

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have mixed feelings about Ted Roof. I have always liked him and like all he brings to Tech. On the other hand, his defenses are totally orthodox. We don't have the talent to be all that effective unless we take more risks and try to use some creativity. I wonder what his defenses looked like at Auburn and Penn State, where no doubt he had higher level athletes? But he sees the player in practice and the games, an maybe he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. Maybe with faster corners, for instance, he would be more willing to engage the receivers instead of playing way off them.

I have heard Paul Johnson say more than once something like "if you stop the run and run it well yourself, you'll usually win." Maybe both Paul and Ted are scheming for a bygone era. We stop the run darned well, but it's all too easy to pass on us.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I've wondered this for a long time, and You would be uniquely qualified to answer this question- are the academic requirements at Tech too rigorous for our teams to be able to put the needed amount of time both physically and mentally into being 100% prepared and technically sound to play football?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As an example, I spent yesterday's 3rd quarter really watching our defense. I watched how we lined up on every snap, how we played each play. Here we are, trailing by two TD's in the 3rd quarter against a team that clearly had equal to or slightly better talent on the field. Might this not be the time to gamble a bit on defense? Nope, not GT. We lined up in our standard package on every play. Only once did we shift our defensive players after our initial line-up. Only once did we blitz. Once in an entire quarter. There was NO attempt to disguise or confuse the QB. And there was NO attack or gamble on defense.

One can call this successful because we held on all but one series. I call it a failure because we did not play to win, we played to make it look good. We played a game where the only way we could have won was to hope that our opponent made the kind of dumb mistakes we made in the 1st half. I would much prefer to play a game where we game and try to force such mistakes. It seemed very likely to me by the 2nd half that Miami wasn't going to defeat themselves. Does it really matter to anyone that we lose 35-21 vs 49-21? Not to me!

In the second half, miami had 6 drives, excluding the kneel downs at the end. 5 of those ended up in a punt in either 3 or 4 plays. If you consider that a failure because they weren't pick sixes to bail out the offense, then the failure isn't on the defense. It's on the offense.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One other point about the defense. Gamble or one of the DTs said something like " we have gotten better each week as the game goes on. We just need to find a way to start off like that." There is a lot of truth to that. Both played both Clem and Miami way better in the second half. I sure don't know the answer to why.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just one quick comment...our defense does NOT disguise or fake anything. We set in our vanilla 4-3 scheme, and that's that until the ball is snapped. Miami ran their LB's up into the gaps pre-snap, faked the blitz..sometimes they came, sometimes they backed off once the ball was snapped.....every good defense I have seen does that (Clemson was doing it last night to Louisville)....but we ...just...don't.
Watched the replay and I was wrong when I said we always rush straight at the ol guy infront of our ol guy.
The freshmen and kerge actually do "sometimes"try to go around thier guys. That will be corrected in the offseason.