My guess on Qua Searcy

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
He looks darn good on defense! I can see some nice wheel routs from the Aback position as well. Tech will profit either way!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Eric , this is just your guess based on need, right? If so, there's no need for anyone to get all up in arms yet. Qua could end up anywhere. On the other hand, if this comes from staff comments, then EVERYBODY LOSE THEIR MINDS! Kidding of course. Do you mind clarifying which it is?

Was told by someone on the staff that he is expected to play A back...nothing is set in stone.

Let's remember that Jemea Thomas came to GT as an A Back :)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Well, the blocking that our WRs do is a lot different than our ABs. The WRs have pretty much exclusively a stand up game in terms of blocking. Going in low from the outside (towards the ball) is a penalty and there isn't an incentive to cut the CB in front of you by the sideline anyway because the timing of putting the guy to the ground is all wrong. ABs are leading plays to the outside where cutting is legal and beneficial. Hence, small ABs can actually be an asset in terms of blocking. I get Alaguy's point and I agree for the most part. I like big WRs in this offense too. However, there are small guys who block well. Autry did a pretty good job on this front two years ago and that kid is wafer thin. It can be done, but you are not likely to see crack blocks like Smelter put on that Ole Miss guy very often. Half of the successful formula for perimeter blocking is "want to" and toughness. The other half is technique and size. So I concede Alaguy's point in that sense.

Thanks.
I know what I'm speaking of because I DID BOTH-the WR blocking is MUCH harder

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, the blocking that our WRs do is a lot different than our ABs. The WRs have pretty much exclusively a stand up game in terms of blocking. Going in low from the outside (towards the ball) is a penalty and there isn't an incentive to cut the CB in front of you by the sideline anyway because the timing of putting the guy to the ground is all wrong. ABs are leading plays to the outside where cutting is legal and beneficial. Hence, small ABs can actually be an asset in terms of blocking. I get Alaguy's point and I agree for the most part. I like big WRs in this offense too. However, there are small guys who block well. Autry did a pretty good job on this front two years ago and that kid is wafer thin. It can be done, but you are not likely to see crack blocks like Smelter put on that Ole Miss guy very often. Half of the successful formula for perimeter blocking is "want to" and toughness. The other half is technique and size. So I concede Alaguy's point in that sense.
I tend to agree, but wasn't Anthony Autry one of our better blocking wr's before his injury? He's no behemoth for sure.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
For the benefit of Que, I dont see him playing on sundays if he plays AB for us even if he shows out. If he plays safety the ball would be in his court.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Yeah, I know, but there are also some recent examples of teams doing it and doing it well.
...go on

30a.jpeg

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
When you say examples it usually means more than 1 example. The last real 2 way player I can think of before Jack would be Charles Woodson, and that was 10+ years ago. I don't think it happens that often simply because it's too much for any one player to play that many snaps a game. Even Jack only had 38 rushes last season.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Champ Bailey was more recent than Woodson but he was probably the last extremely productive one. You also got Eric Weddle, That LB/FB from Stanford a few years ago, and Devin Hester played some offense at Miami.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks.
I know what I'm speaking of because I DID BOTH-the WR blocking is MUCH harder
Thanks for the insight. I love it when I get to hear from people who actually played the positions, especially skill positions. I only played D-Line, O-line, and some LB (before I outgrew it) in my day, so it's hard for me to identify and relate to the skill positions.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
When you say examples it usually means more than 1 example. The last real 2 way player I can think of before Jack would be Charles Woodson, and that was 10+ years ago. I don't think it happens that often simply because it's too much for any one player to play that many snaps a game. Even Jack only had 38 rushes last season.

What about Chris Gamble from Ohio State?

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread. My bad.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I never understand why some people think players max out at weight and size in HS.

Andrews 6.0 190 3rd yr
Snoddy 5.9 190 4th yr
Myles A 5.11 170 1st yr
Searcy 5.11 170 1st yr
If they learn to block that is a "take it to the house" group and as you point out the Freshmen could possibly grow to 6.0 190 and Lynch could grow to be slightly larger. This would be a really fast group and not "pony" size at all if they get to 6.0 190.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

You asked dcs for examples. I provided the one I was aware of. Wasn't intended to be an exhaustive list. I suspected others could provide more if available. But then mine apparently didn't count anyway because he only had 38 rushes last season. But those only 38 rushes were good enough to bring home the PAC12 Offensive Freshman of the Year in addition to the Defensive Freshman of the Year. And this while only playing offense for the last four games. We'll see what they do with him next year.

http://pac-12.com/article/2013/12/02/pac-12-football-awards-and-all-conference-teams-announced-0