My guess on Qua Searcy

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
My guess is due to us only having Snoddy and Andrews returning at A back last year...this will put him with Myles and Clinton.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think he ends up of offense now, likely at A back since we landed Kagawa.

Certainly there is a need at AB. I just hope it is NOT Searcy. Personally I like him too much on defense. I saw earlier on a depth chart that Willis was D3 at AB. Do you have any insight as to how he is progressing and any chance he steps up?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's odd for a triple option team to have so little depth at both AB and BB. It's a shame we have to pull someone who could make a great DB to play AB because we lack depth there. Losing all these players to transfers and grades is really hurting us here.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
All three of those kids from Lamar County have the speed that kills. I'd like to see any of them with the ball in their hands even if they can't block worth a lick. There are at least 9 others on the field that should are supposed to be trained for that.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Qua is a fine athlete but size is an issue for him.We have not had an Aback that excels at 175 lbs mostly because of the blocking duties.So I would rather see him on DEF where his reaction ability maybe pays off better. Also, Autry is in that same size range.We don't need 2 pony backs at same time.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
@Eric , this is just your guess based on need, right? If so, there's no need for anyone to get all up in arms yet. Qua could end up anywhere. On the other hand, if this comes from staff comments, then EVERYBODY LOSE THEIR MINDS! Kidding of course. Do you mind clarifying which it is?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Its whatever he and the coaches decide. My preference would for him to be the free safety in the 4-2-5.
Jalen strong
Qua free
Kagawa nickle/safety

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, if we are worried about his size at AB, we aught to be doubly worried about his size at safety. We need to be able to run support at that position. I can't wait to watch the kid play. I really have no preference as to the position. If I were forced to pick, I would probably go with WR. We need a true field stretcher and somebody who can break out of his cuts like he is on rails, preferably with good hands.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Well, if we are worried about his size at AB, we aught to be doubly worried about his size at safety. We need to be able to run support at that position. I can't wait to watch the kid play. I really have no preference as to the position. If I were forced to pick, I would probably go with WR. We need a true field stretcher and somebody who can break out of his cuts like he is on rails, preferably with good hands.
B,
I would like WR also except that we still have the blocking problem on EIGHTY PERCENT of the plays.I just can't see his receiving being so good(or really our passing) that we can afford
a 5-11,175 lb man hand fighting dbs that are prob bigger than he.Possible but not probable when we have 220 lb guys losing those battles.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bad euphemism I know, but: it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

We had two little guys who were pretty successful when CPJ first got here, Peoples (5'10" 175) and Wright (5'8" 175). Blocking is technique not brute force. Our 220 pound receivers could be devastating blockers if the chose to be. (I know they were A-Backs, and the positions are different. But blocking is blocking.)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bad euphemism I know, but: it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

We had two little guys who were pretty successful when CPJ first got here, Peoples (5'10" 175) and Wright (5'8" 175). Blocking is technique not brute force. Our 220 pound receivers could be devastating blockers if the chose to be. (I know they were A-Backs, and the positions are different. But blocking is blocking.)
Well, the blocking that our WRs do is a lot different than our ABs. The WRs have pretty much exclusively a stand up game in terms of blocking. Going in low from the outside (towards the ball) is a penalty and there isn't an incentive to cut the CB in front of you by the sideline anyway because the timing of putting the guy to the ground is all wrong. ABs are leading plays to the outside where cutting is legal and beneficial. Hence, small ABs can actually be an asset in terms of blocking. I get Alaguy's point and I agree for the most part. I like big WRs in this offense too. However, there are small guys who block well. Autry did a pretty good job on this front two years ago and that kid is wafer thin. It can be done, but you are not likely to see crack blocks like Smelter put on that Ole Miss guy very often. Half of the successful formula for perimeter blocking is "want to" and toughness. The other half is technique and size. So I concede Alaguy's point in that sense.