My first post: Crootin'

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
GT is in the ACC Coastal. If we are consistently signing top 20-25 classes, developing our players, and they are progressing every year, then there's no reason GT shouldn't be favored to win the Coastal.
Well … except that we just recruited a class on about par with what VT regularly brings in. I think the Coastal will revert to what it was under Paul: either Tech or VT wins. I can live with that.

All other comments are correct. My only concern = can we keep the momentum here? A lot of the renewed interest the program has gotten is due to the change in staff; new kid get attention everywhere. If we can pull in another class like this or close to it (or, who knows, even better) next year despite what promises to be a disappointing season, then we can feel more secure.

But that's no reason not to feel good today! Tech did about as well as I had hoped, we lost few players to and gained two from flips, and got what the coaches seem to think we need. 'Nough said.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well … except that we just recruited a class on about par with what VT regularly brings in. I think the Coastal will revert to what it was under Paul: either Tech or VT wins. I can live with that.

All other comments are correct. My only concern = can we keep the momentum here? A lot of the renewed interest the program has gotten is due to the change in staff; new kid get attention everywhere. If we can pull in another class like this or close to it (or, who knows, even better) next year despite what promises to be a disappointing season, then we can feel more secure.

But that's no reason not to feel good today! Tech did about as well as I had hoped, we lost few players to and gained two from flips, and got what the coaches seem to think we need. 'Nough said.

I have a feeling our staff will do better next season. This was our staff's first full year of recruiting together. This was a year of establishing relationships throughout GA and other regions. Also keep in mind our offense also looked like a hot turd every Saturday...and yet we still were able to sign a 4 star QB, TWO 4 star WRs, and have a 4 star All American RB committed to us. I'm actually disappointed we did not sign more higher ranked defensive players, but even then we got a 4 star DE and a 4 star DB...with a possible 4 star DB and DL signing in the February period. I'm also disappointed Brent Key's reputation for OL didn't produce a 4 star OL signee. However, I think those disappointments won't be there next year. Outside of 4 star signees, our staff was able to find some high 3 star guys, and other guys who are the kind of "diamond in the rough" type players but with physical tools that match our 4 star players. I think across the board we were able to improve on size, speed, athleticism, and length.

If we make a bowl game next season, next year's recruiting class could be an All Timer.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
People need to realize we don't need to recruit as well as UGA or Clemson. We don't. Consistent top 20-25 classes is going to win you a LOT of games.

GT is in the ACC Coastal. If we are consistently signing top 20-25 classes, developing our players, and they are progressing every year, then there's no reason GT shouldn't be favored to win the Coastal

Do we want to win against UGA (f yeah!) and Clemson? Yes, every single time we play them. We're going to start winning our share, but there's only a handful of teams in all of college football recruiting on their level.

We don't need to recruit better than them to beat them...CPJ, Ross, and O'Leary all proved that. We do, however, need to close the talent gap and we are getting closer. 2020 class is a BIG step in the right direction.

Why is the concept so hard for Tech fans too grasp?!?!

Swarm21

Georgia Tech Fan
I wasn't referring to that particular post. That font has a history of lobbing insults at the past regime. Since he chose to add me into the discussion about people saying we couldn't recruit well, which isn't the position I've taken, I pointed out to him why I generally disagree with him, and it's not about recruiting...
I too, am from the Augusta area.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is the concept so hard for Tech fans too grasp?!?!
The lamentations werent that we wouldnt dominate the coastal at all. It was that we were still a ways behind Clemson.

I swear some of these people couldnt be happy dating Miss America unless she won the Miss Universe pageant too.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling our staff will do better next season. This was our staff's first full year of recruiting together. This was a year of establishing relationships throughout GA and other regions. Also keep in mind our offense also looked like a hot turd every Saturday...and yet we still were able to sign a 4 star QB, TWO 4 star WRs, and have a 4 star All American RB committed to us. I'm actually disappointed we did not sign more higher ranked defensive players, but even then we got a 4 star DE and a 4 star DB...with a possible 4 star DB and DL signing in the February period. I'm also disappointed Brent Key's reputation for OL didn't produce a 4 star OL signee. However, I think those disappointments won't be there next year. Outside of 4 star signees, our staff was able to find some high 3 star guys, and other guys who are the kind of "diamond in the rough" type players but with physical tools that match our 4 star players. I think across the board we were able to improve on size, speed, athleticism, and length.

If we make a bowl game next season, next year's recruiting class could be an All Timer.
I have a feeling - and mine is a lot more likely - that neither of us know one way or another. We'll see.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Let me be clear. It might be true if you average in walk-ons who have no shot of playing. It may be true, but it's meaningless and this discussion is meaningless. Everyone knows the ol was a major problem, but the reason isn't just size.

so you got us. brent keys is an awful coach who was only at bama cause he could recruit a little.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if anyone’s noticed, but no one is beating UGA and Clemson these days. Perhaps I’m a pessimist, but even if our goal is to win every game by 100 points, it’s probably not the most reasonable expectation. For now, perhaps a better benchmark is Carolina. They hired a new coach the same year as we did, and he inherited a pretty crummy team. Both are recruiting at a roughly even level. Let’s see how we stack up after a few seasons.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
so you got us. brent keys is an awful coach who was only at bama cause he could recruit a little.
It wasn't a shot at the coaches, but nice try db. Talent and fit in the system is equally as important as size. The guys in the system were recruited to run a different system and don't fit the new system and the results were awful. However, they're not all Rudy sized up front.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

I only watched a little of the signing telecast but when I watched it, VT was in last place in the ACC. Our main competition will be Miami for the coastal title I think.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Coastal Recruiting Rankings:

17 Miami
19 UNC
24 GT
42 Pitt
54 Virginia
57 Duke
62 VT

Miami, UNC, and GT are all within 7 spots of each other, which is basically negligible. If GT/UNC/Miami all recruit in the same neighborhood annually, and the rest of the teams stay the same, the gap may be too wide for the other teams to overcome. A two tier difference, and really 3+ tiers outside of Pitt, is a BIG advantage.

Now we have to coach them up. Let's make sure the talent we are bringing in lives up to the hype...and more. Let's not be FSU/Miami where they sign all these elite guys and barely make bowl games.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if anyone’s noticed, but no one is beating UGA and Clemson these days. Perhaps I’m a pessimist, but even if our goal is to win every game by 100 points, it’s probably not the most reasonable expectation. For now, perhaps a better benchmark is Carolina. They hired a new coach the same year as we did, and he inherited a pretty crummy team. Both are recruiting at a roughly even level. Let’s see how we stack up after a few seasons.
Was just about to post this. People thinking Top 25 classes will lead to us being the Coastal favorite aren’t paying attention to what Mack Brown Is doing at UNC.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree of most of what you have stated here. But I do have one point to nitpick. I could be wrong, but you seem to infer that CPJ did a better job against UGA than we have done against them historically. It is true that CPJ beat two top ten UGA teams. And those were wonderful victories that I absolutely enjoyed. I am very grateful for them. But his overall record against UGA was actually slightly worse than what we have done in the past 50 years.

From 1958 to 2007 we won 14 out of 50 games or 28%
CPJ was 3 out of 11 or 27.3%

Before I get accused of cherry picking, 50 years is not cherry picking. We actually lost in 58 and 59, so it didn't help my argument to include those two years. I picked that 50 year time span because it is clear that UGA started dominating the series starting at that point. They have overwhelmed us now for 6 plus decades. The CPJ era did nothing to change that.

We should be thankful that CPJ righted the ship after 7 straight losses. But we lost 7 straight in the 90's as well and O'Leary responded with three straight wins.

CPJ was just average against UGA. I guess it is what it is.

I don't know why you'd infer that. My exact quote was "I don't want to just beat uga every 4-5 years when they are in a down cycle. I want to beat them when they are ranked in the top 10..." so I don't see where you'd pull it from. Every 4-5 years would be a 20-25% winning clip, which is slightly below our historical average. I want to beat uga when they are ranked in the top 10 and we are the better team. That hasn't happened in my lifetime, and I am not a young man anymore.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why you'd infer that. My exact quote was "I don't want to just beat uga every 4-5 years when they are in a down cycle. I want to beat them when they are ranked in the top 10..." so I don't see where you'd pull it from. Every 4-5 years would be a 20-25% winning clip, which is slightly below our historical average. I want to beat uga when they are ranked in the top 10 and we are the better team. That hasn't happened in my lifetime, and I am not a young man anymore.
It happened in 2014, no? They entered that game ranked 9th.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Along those lines, I would give anything to beat them handily one year. All our recent wins were squeakers and they always have excuses like blaming Richts squib kick. I want to see them hanging their heads early in the 4th.