My concern with Miami - Defense

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Their defense looks pretty good, especially run defense. Georgia Tech is pretty inept passing, and if Miami shuts down the run Tech will punting all day. GT ranks near dead last in a few passing stats nationally, and Miami stuffs the run.

#7 in the nation in rush defense. Only allow 2.6 yards per carry as well. They allow 77 rush yards per game. #20 in scoring defense... They gave up 42 to Virginia Tech, but that was really more of a product of having 5 turnovers in the game. They threw 4 interceptions on 4 straight possessions to give the game away.

The reason Vegas has the spread at 20 is because they don't believe Georgia Tech will score, or at least not score more than 3-10 points.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see us mix a run game with a short passing game. You have to keep them honest with a long one now and again, but I thought we tried too many long ones against Duke. Just try to move the sticks and keep the defense off the field. We don't have the pass blocking to be throwing long so often.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'd like to see us mix a run game with a short passing game. You have to keep them honest with a long one now and again, but I thought we tried too many long ones against Duke. Just try to move the sticks and keep the defense off the field. We don't have the pass blocking to be throwing long so often.
This. No need to keep trying to gash the Defense. Keep them honest and then you can catch them off guard. I dont know why Pnut is so fascinated with the deep ball.

Deleted member 2897

Miami in my opinion is Georgia-lite. Both are wildly undisciplined, but Miami has less talent to boot.. so they have less margin for error. What that means is that they can be up and down and out of control at times, which explains why they played so poorly most of the last few years.

All the pressure is on them to not lose to us. If we can get some breaks and get ahead early, that may be all we need for their heads to explode and a bunch of typical Miami self-destructive shenanigans to occur.

Sidewalking

Banned
Their defense looks pretty good, especially run defense. Georgia Tech is pretty inept passing, and if Miami shuts down the run Tech will punting all day. GT ranks near dead last in a few passing stats nationally, and Miami stuffs the run.

#7 in the nation in rush defense. Only allow 2.6 yards per carry as well. They allow 77 rush yards per game. #20 in scoring defense... They gave up 42 to Virginia Tech, but that was really more of a product of having 5 turnovers in the game. They threw 4 interceptions on 4 straight possessions to give the game away.

The reason Vegas has the spread at 20 is because they don't believe Georgia Tech will score, or at least not score more than 3-10 points.

Miami has stud linebackers and a couple of very good corners. Their Dline is only so-so imo. But in total the going will be rough for our O I think. Graham will have to put the O on his shoulders and make some big plays while limiting mistakes to have any chance.

I think they mirror us somewhat on O. Good running back, not a very good O line, and a QB that has 2 seconds or less to get the ball out of his hands very frequently. I'm just not sure the Tech D can get that kind of pressure on him.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a game where I wish we could splice Graham and Oliver into a super qb. We're going to need a qb that can quickly get upfield and make people miss which should open up deep passing lanes. Funny enough their offensive line is awful so we should be able to get pressure and penetration better than we have all year. If the defense can create turnovers in the -2 range I like our chances.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm ready to see a 2 RB set with the QB to help pick up the stunts. Duke killed us with a delayed blitz. Looked like they waited for a gap to open and then shot through it. I was at the game and have not watched the replay but that seemed to be how they got so much pressure. We sure had trouble blocking them. They clogged the middle pretty well too on the QB reads. JG needs more experience with that. Pull the ball out and hit the edges if it's there. He does like the long ball. He must be seeing single man coverage and slings it. Need better blocking if that continues to give him time. He has a good arm.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm ready to see a 2 RB set with the QB to help pick up the stunts. Duke killed us with a delayed blitz. Looked like they waited for a gap to open and then shot through it. I was at the game and have not watched the replay but that seemed to be how they got so much pressure. We sure had trouble blocking them. They clogged the middle pretty well too on the QB reads. JG needs more experience with that. Pull the ball out and hit the edges if it's there. He does like the long ball. He must be seeing single man coverage and slings it. Need better blocking if that continues to give him time. He has a good arm.
See thats what i have been wanting for our defense to do, our DL guys almost always get bear-hugged into a stalemate but there are huge gaps that open for a delayed blitz by a LB or DB almost every play

Sidewalking

Banned
See thats what i have been wanting for our defense to do, our DL guys almost always get bear-hugged into a stalemate but there are huge gaps that open for a delayed blitz by a LB or DB almost every play

Against Duke they lost the pad level battle all game long. And we still cant find anyone that appears willing to set the dang edge on defense. Two disappointing performances in a row by the D.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keeping 2 backs in pass pro can work on occasion, but you have to remember, that will leave a total of 3 guys going into routes. It is hard to get separation when that is the case. If they blitz, the numbers may work out OK, but if they don't there will be in excess of two defenders for every receiver. Rather than go that route (pardon the pun) I would rather emphasize quick check downs by the QB and improved blitz recognition. Fundamental number one, dumping off over top of the blitz. Part of the problem is that we have an inexperienced QB who is slow through progressions etc etc. In short, no single tactic ever works ALL the time. We need to mix things up and do what we do faster with cleaner decision making.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
JG likes to throw the long ball. He needs more time and the line has not been able to hold blocks consistently plus Duke was using a delayed blitz. I hope we can correct some of that with some quick passes. We also got into 3rd and long way too many times last Saturday.

Sidewalking

Banned
JG likes to throw the long ball. He needs more time and the line has not been able to hold blocks consistently plus Duke was using a delayed blitz. I hope we can correct some of that with some quick passes. We also got into 3rd and long way too many times last Saturday.

One day soon we will have an offense built for third and long.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
Our passing game is improving and I believe we’ll have some success against the Canes - my biggest concern is untimely turnovers

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Watched it again. JG missed some reads and Mason missed some holes, but overall I thought they ran the ball well. Mason tried to bounce some of the stretch plays outside instead of taking the crease up the middle. The team needs to run the ball more. Too many third and longs. The first drive was a great mix up runs and short quick passing.

I know Miami is good at stopping the run but I’m order for them to have success GT will have to force the issue and grind it out.

Sidewalking

Banned
Watched it again. JG missed some reads and Mason missed some holes, but overall I thought they ran the ball well. Mason tried to bounce some of the stretch plays outside instead of taking the crease up the middle. The team needs to run the ball more. Too many third and longs. The first drive was a great mix up runs and short quick passing.

I know Miami is good at stopping the run but I’m order for them to have success GT will have to force the issue and grind it out.

If Miami can stop the run without stacking the box we will have to find another way to win other than forcing the run game.