Mutts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's mostly privately funded and partially funded by a taxpayer-funded organization. It does not receive any money from the State directly. It might be semantics to you, but there is a difference.

Those particular semantics are exactly why they have to respond to open records requests and are accountable to the USoG.

After all, Wesley was only MOSTLY dead...
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

slugboy

Staff member
Those particular semantics are exactly why they have to respond to open records requests and are accountable to the USoG.

The article is worth reading through a second time. The driver was on video swerving in and out of traffic and passing on the right and the left. I believe both women in the car were not wearing seat belts. During the wreck, the car slammed into two trees, two utility poles, and an apartment building. It’s unconfirmed whether it’s an “official” car, but if it wasn’t I would expect that to already be stated by the UGA AA.
There is an internal UGA investigation now.
I think if it happened here, we’d have NCAA investigators all over our AA.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The article is worth reading through a second time. The driver was on video swerving in and out of traffic and passing on the right and the left. I believe both women in the car were not wearing seat belts. During the wreck, the car slammed into two trees, two utility poles, and an apartment building. It’s unconfirmed whether it’s an “official” car, but if it wasn’t I would expect that to already be stated by the UGA AA.
There is an internal UGA investigation now.
I think if it happened here, we’d have NCAA investigators all over our AA.
I guarantee the NCAA will investigate, but how deeply they probe will depend on the thoroughness and transparency of uga's investigation. Inpermissable benefits for players if they're in a vehicle rented by the AA and driven by a staffer if it's not to or from a sanctioned event. I would strongly suspect the GBI will be involved in this too.

techdad02

Georgia Tech Fan
More from the AJC
“A recruiting analyst for the University of Georgia football team was not authorized to drive an SUV rented by the university at the time of a crash in which she and a football player died, athletic department officials said late Friday”

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
uga's auto insurance carrier is probably all over this like sos. Unauthorized use probably brings general liability into play. What have the two survivors said or are they clammed up behind attorneys so far?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
More from the AJC
“A recruiting analyst for the University of Georgia football team was not authorized to drive an SUV rented by the university at the time of a crash in which she and a football player died, athletic department officials said late Friday”
Of course not. Even if they had authorized it they were going to say this.

slugboy

Staff member
The Fam and I watched “The Hunt for Red October” last night—the offspring had never seen it, and asked for it.

There’s a scene where the admiral on the aircraft carrier says “this business will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through this”. I’d been remembering that in reference to this; I think lawyers have probably contacted everyone involved. If you are the family of one of the people who died, you might be blaming UGA right now. If you’re UGA, you want the blame to go to the young woman driving.

The UGA AA is probably trying to balance putting the blame on someone else vs keeping them from suing UGA vs sweeping this whole thing under the rug. Every public word undercuts that, so they’ll be as brief as possible until something goes wrong in the legal liability side of things.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's mostly privately funded and partially funded by a taxpayer-funded organization. It does not receive any money from the State directly. It might be semantics to you, but there is a difference.

FYI, the AA at uga is a non-profit 501(C) corporation. The reason they have to abide by FOIA is the following (emphasis mine). Regulations restrict the University to 10% of the budget, so it is not considered to be required to comply with FOIA by state law. It's the "operating as a vehicle for a public agency" clause that requires the AA's to comply with FOIA. Here in Illinois, the state appellate court ruled that IHSA (Illinois High School Association) was exempt from FOIA because it was a private, non-profit association. It variers state to state. I've included a link for anyone interested in the varying rules of different states. Link

• Georgia​

The Act expressly applies to “any nonprofit organization to which there is a direct allocation of tax funds made by the governing body of any agency … which constitutes more than 33 1/3 percent of the funds from all sources of such organization.” O.C.G.A. § 50-14-1(a)(E). But the Act also provides that such an allocation shall not be sufficient to include within the Act’s coverage “hospitals, nursing homes, dispensers of pharmaceutical products, or any other type organization, person, or firm furnishing medical or health services to a citizen for which they receive reimbursement from the state” or “a subagency or affiliate of such a nonprofit organization from or through which the allocation of tax funds is made.”
    In addition, private entities that operate "as vehicles for public agencies," whether nonprofit or otherwise, are subject to the Act regardless of the amount of funding they receive from the public. Nw. Ga. Health Sys. v. Times-Journal, 218 Ga. App. 336, 461 S.E.2d 297 (1995).

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The UGA AA is probably trying to balance putting the blame on someone else vs keeping them from suing UGA vs sweeping this whole thing under the rug. Every public word undercuts that, so they’ll be as brief as possible until something goes wrong in the legal liability side of things.
This was mentioned in one of the articles when it came out that the family of Wilcox decided against suing the school and AA.
The article stated the AA was paying the family through multiple insurance routes. Just have to see if that holds true when it's all said and done.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This was mentioned in one of the articles when it came out that the family of Wilcox decided against suing the school and AA.
The article stated the AA was paying the family through multiple insurance routes. Just have to see if that holds true when it's all said and done.
Sometimes a family is forced by the insurance company to sue if the responsible parties do not voluntarily offer a settlement. Sounds like uga is well prepared for this eventuality.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
UGA will NEVER let this get anywhere close to the court system. They will be willing to pay a premium to keep the details quiet

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
UGA will NEVER let this get anywhere close to the court system. They will be willing to pay a premium to keep the details quiet
Agreed. But, if someone tries to scapegoat the driver, I could easily see her family blowing the lid off the whole thing. As a parent, I'm not sure the living memory and reputation of your deceased child is worth any amount of money.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

I know it's behind a pay wall, but here are some bullet points:
*It seems that uga has a "coach" (former lawyer) getting paid $200,009 (5 fold increase since Kirby came to town) to be a liaison between football players and the Athens Clarke County Police.
*He is well know among the ranks of the ACCPD.
*He notified the chief of the wreck, then the chief relayed that information to the dispatcher.
*He paid the bail of recruit who got arrested in Athens on his visit, upon investigation by Macon Telegraph, the jail records were changed to say "friend of family".
*There were 2 additional players that police requested information on at the scene of the wreck, but they won't confirm or deny the players were present at the scene.
*How impartial can the investigation be with both parties so close?

It smells bad. Doubt enough to change the culture or have Kirby terminated, but it may uncover the sewer that makes the grass greener on the other side.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm afraid this will all go away in a haze of 'boys will be boys' and 'who cares, we just wonitall'.

Weak point is still the deceased young lady's family and the degree to which they want to be paid to allow her reputation to be besmirched.

Hope they don't live in the Athens area or this 'family friend' may start paying them visits, unannounced.