Mutts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Those are legitimate questions. I'm not sure it's the AJC's job to investigate. Their job is to report. An investigation is for law enforcement, uga, and NCAA.

Good reporting usually requires investigation, especially when organizations and institutions, in their own best interest, aren't voluntarily forthcoming with information. After all, if the AJC were just repeating uga (or any other organization/institution) press releases, there's really no need for a reporter, you could just send it straight to the printer. You can't blame uga for releasing as little info as necessary and you can't blame the AJC for it's investigative reporting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The families deserve answers. The general public does not.

So I won't say I know what these families are going through. But I kinda get them wanting answers on that level. And I hate the fact that us nosy a**es seem to feel were owed any dayum thing at all from this investigation.

As a state taxpayer funded institution, the general public absolutely has a right to know where and how their money is being spent and if that money is leading to adverse consequences. Yes, some people have a predisposition to be nosier than others, but that doesn't change the right to know.

What does creep me out in all of this is the absolute amount of cameras and camera footage in place in the US these days recording our every move, but that's a legal matter for down the road...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As a state taxpayer funded institution, the general public absolutely has a right to know where and how their money is being spent and if that money is leading to adverse consequences. Yes, some people have a predisposition to be nosier than others, but that doesn't change the right to know.

What does creep me out in all of this is the absolute amount of cameras and camera footage in place in the US these days recording our every move, but that's a legal matter for down the road...

I can see that, but I'm not giving the general public the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe 99.999999999% are tuning in to find out about the use of their tax dollars. Maybe I just don't have faith in people anymore?. Dang that's sad. :(

And agree on the camera stuff. Can you imagine how many people are on camera pickin' their noses 'cause they thought they were all clear? Sheesh.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I can see that, but I'm not giving the general public the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe 99.999999999% are tuning in to find out about the use of their tax dollars. Maybe I just don't have faith in people anymore?. Dang that's sad. :(

I am in firm agreement with this. People love to watch a scandal, not to see wrongs exposed and righted, but rather to see people suffer.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And agree on the camera stuff. Can you imagine how many people are on camera pickin' their noses 'cause they thought they were all clear? Sheesh.

awkward fan GIF

slugboy

Staff member
I agree with all of this and the post from @slugboy. As I said, law enforcement, uga, and then the NCAA will investigate. The families deserve answers. The general public does not.

Details about why they were where they were, what they were driving, etc. are relevant to whether this was appropriate or inappropriate. As details come out the perception and reality will continuously shift. Added information has changed the discussion since the initial report.
In general, I want reporters investigating. There should be poking their noses in places they don’t belong—that’s what journalists are for.
I think this is distasteful, but I also think that it’s the kind of reporting a good reporter does. I wish they ruffled more feathers.
I don’t even have to like the motives of the reporters or the readers, but the reporter should have a clear code of ethics. This seems like they’re still behaving ethically for a reporter.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Those are legitimate questions. I'm not sure it's the AJC's job to investigate. Their job is to report. An investigation is for law enforcement, uga, and NCAA.
I strongly disagree with this statement. Real investigative reporters provide an incredibly valuable service to our communities. They shine a light on many acts of corruption by politicians and corporate entities that otherwise would never be identified or investigated. Maybe I am just a cynical old man, but I just can't believe that UGA, the Athens PD, or the NCAA are going to seriously investigate anything about the team that just won a national title in football.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I dont see the NCAA getting involved simply because they have no standing to investigate. uga should investigate because it concerns them in both a student and employee manner. Law enforcement is a no brainer that they should investigate. The press should also investigate because that's what they are supposed to do (from an objective, non-biased point of view, which the AJC seems to be doing).

I think we all stated facts and questions, I dont recall any accusations being posted. Just because a question is asked on a message board, you can't read emotion in to just words, means it is accusational. We all recognize this is a tragic event. But tragedies need to have as much buffer room from being repeated as possible. See pre and post 9/11 airports. But for that to happen, questions must be asked and answered so procedures can be put in place to prevent this from happening again, not just at uga but others schools just got a wake up call to.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
"Athletic Association policy forbids employees from engaging in "inappropriate" activity with athletes. NCAA rules tightly restrict university employees from providing transportation to athletes except in certain circumstances."

Last paragraph from most recent AJC article, so maybe the NCAA does have a reason to investigate.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
"Athletic Association policy forbids employees from engaging in "inappropriate" activity with athletes. NCAA rules tightly restrict university employees from providing transportation to athletes except in certain circumstances."

Last paragraph from most recent AJC article, so maybe the NCAA does have a reason to investigate.
This NCAA policy is obviously written in good faith but the reality is more nuanced. As pointed out earlier in the thread, the power imbalance between the athletes and 2 staffers in this instance is greatly tilted towards the athletes. It’s probably one of the biggest reasons there are so few women participating in men’s athletics. As an aside, a group of boys (10yo?) were in my section at a CBB game recently - they were giving a student assistant absolute hell. I’m sure she loves basketball but I’d understand if constant treatment like that in men’s athletics is just sucking any joy out of the game for her, which sucks.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think we're all basically on the same page. Hope it doesn't seem like I'm attacking you, btw. Not my intent.

Actually agree these details shouldn't be something we (as a public) should be clamoring for, but that's a broader question on our nosy a** voyeuristic society as a whole.

Had a recent death in the family. 27yo, fit, completely healthy or so we thought. Turns out they had a heart problem that no one knew of. Heart attack, sudden death completely out of nowhere.

As I try to explain to people what happened - not that it's their business but they know the person and naturally wonder why they're not around anymore - I can always see the wheels turning on questions they wanna ask. Was it drugs, alcohol, etc.? Well, it was none of that. And it actually hurts to have to sorta clear the person's name every time.

So I won't say I know what these families are going through. But I kinda get them wanting answers on that level. And I hate the fact that us nosy a**es seem to feel were owed any dayum thing at all from this investigation.
No attacked feelings here. I feel like you said exactly what I was trying to say. Let's not jump to conclusions and immediately think the worst. Not our business, but definitely the families' business.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good reporting usually requires investigation, especially when organizations and institutions, in their own best interest, aren't voluntarily forthcoming with information. After all, if the AJC were just repeating uga (or any other organization/institution) press releases, there's really no need for a reporter, you could just send it straight to the printer. You can't blame uga for releasing as little info as necessary and you can't blame the AJC for it's investigative reporting.
Law enforcement doesn't have anything they're trying to cover up. Of course, the papers have a vested interest in getting as much detail as they can. Inquiring minds want to know, whether they have a right to or not. It's like rubbernecking an accident. Everyone wants a peek.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Nope. The Athletic Association in Athens is not a state taxpayer-funded institution.

Don't ever go to London if you're concerned about cameras.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I strongly disagree with this statement. Real investigative reporters provide an incredibly valuable service to our communities. They shine a light on many acts of corruption by politicians and corporate entities that otherwise would never be identified or investigated. Maybe I am just a cynical old man, but I just can't believe that UGA, the Athens PD, or the NCAA are going to seriously investigate anything about the team that just won a national title in football.
It's silly to think that it isn't going to be seriously investigated. This isn't an underaged kid getting caught at a strip club or drinking. People died. If it isn't taken seriously, then investigations into the investigations will happen and lawsuits will be filed. I guarantee you lawyers have already been retained and they'll do their own investigations.

As for "real investigative journalists" providing value to the community. Sure, I agree. But in a situation like this, you let the investigators investigate and the reporters report. If there appears to be something nefarious, then the reporters do their investigating. It's all about context. I would have thought you all understood that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nope. The Athletic Association in Athens is not a state taxpayer-funded institution.

Don't ever go to London if you're concerned about cameras.

Any AA that is housed on a GBOR university is considered part of the school and subject to the law as such. It's why we can see contract details for the AA staff and coaches through public records requests vs at private schools.

London isn't bad. I've been to China multiple times and there are cameras every 25 meters there. Supposedly, however, the US isn't a police state. Supposedly.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Any AA that is housed on a GBOR university is considered part of the school and subject to the law as such. It's why we can see contract details for the AA staff and coaches through public records requests vs at private schools.

London isn't bad. I've been to China multiple times and there are cameras every 25 meters there. Supposedly, however, the US isn't a police state. Supposedly.
Well, I've never been arrested for all the things I've done here in the US that could have gotten me arrested, so I doubt "they're" watching. Are you paranoid if they really are out to get you?

It's a public institution but it's not funded by taxpayer dollars. It's mostly privately funded and partially funded by a taxpayer-funded organization. It does not receive any money from the State directly. It might be semantics to you, but there is a difference.