Music City Bowl

LibertyTurns

Banned
Is this a real game? I mean would beating Ole Miss really count, do the Rebels really want to play, etc or is this another no win scenario where if GT wins the other team "fill in the blank excuse" and should we lose it's a massive indictment of the program.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this a real game? I mean would beating Ole Miss really count, do the Rebels really want to play, etc or is this another no win scenario where if GT wins the other team "fill in the blank excuse" and should we lose it's a massive indictment of the program.

depends on if you've got an agenda or not. This game is certainly legitimate to me. Just the fact that Ole Miss has that stupid SEC label is reason enough to kick their @sses.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Ole Miss is a legitimate team. They lack maybe one more good recruiting year to be in the top tier of the SEC. Their record was 7-5 with quality wins over Vanderbilt 39-35, Texas 44-23, and LSU 27-24. They lost to Auburn by a TD 22-30 and by 3 points to Texas A&M 38-41. They were #23 on offense and #44 on defense nationally. The players like Hugh Freeze, their coach, and he has done well for a new coach. The problem with our win in the USC game was that their players were trying to get rid of Kiffin and wanted to lose to ensure his firing.

Ole Miss can score the points. They also give up a lot, but give Freeze a couple more years, and he will be playing the big boys in the SEC for the championship. We can only hope to play a flawless game to win against Old Miss. It would be a big if we could win it, but we are the underdogs in the game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem with our win in the USC game was that their players were trying to get rid of Kiffin and wanted to lose to ensure his firing. [I disagree. No athlete tries to lose. Period.]

...We can only hope to play a flawless game to win against Old Miss. [I disagree. I think if we play a good game, taking care of the ball and have success on offense, we'll win. We don't need to play mistake-free football to will against this team]
I just don't see it that way. Ole Miss has good players, even some really good players, but I think they're a product of the SEC hype. They beat Texas, who just ran their coach off because of their lack of performance, and a couple of other SEC teams (one who struggled against Wake Forest). I've never been convinced that the SEC is everything people rave about top-to-bottom. I think you've got several elite teams at the top (3-4) and the rest are like pretty much everyone else in the country. I don't think Ole Miss is as good as they were several years ago when they won the Cotton Bowl, but they are improving. They're not as good as UGA, Clemson or Miami (when we played them). I'd put them on par with Va Tech, Pitt or UNC. I like our chances.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty much every team that makes a bowl game would present us with a major challenge. In that sense, we can't take anyone lightly. We are certainly beatable, just like they are. I expect to win, but no result outside of a blowout would surprise me all that much.