Moving On

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Jaylend Ratliffe had a freak ATV accident in high school and never got to play in college. Jay Jones transferred. Lucas Johnson had a freak leg injury and was supposed to be a passing downs QB this year.

All would have been better passers than TQM. QB is a position where it's hard to lose that many and still be functional.

On top of that, we signed a 4star in 2018 who we redshirted and we have an incoming in 2019 who looks special.

But our problems passing go way beyond the QB. I think in the UGA game our first 6 or 7 pass attempts were throw aways within 3 seconds of the ball being snapped. Passing is more than just the QB and we were weak in pretty much all of them.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
But our problems passing go way beyond the QB. I think in the UGA game our first 6 or 7 pass attempts were throw aways within 3 seconds of the ball being snapped. Passing is more than just the QB and we were weak in pretty much all of them.
You quoted this post, but in others in this thread I mention our passing issues go beyond just the QB this year. CPJ's unwillingness to move Sewak away from the line may end up being one of his biggest failures. We will never know if Sewak was the issue or not, since there was never an alternative though. I am a personal supporter of adding a shotgun package to the offense as part of a change of pace + pass situation. Monken and Niumatalolo both have done this when they had passing personnel.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Jaylend Ratliffe had a freak ATV accident in high school and never got to play in college. Jay Jones transferred. Lucas Johnson had a freak leg injury and was supposed to be a passing downs QB this year.

All would have been better passers than TQM. QB is a position where it's hard to lose that many and still be functional.

On top of that, we signed a 4star in 2018 who we redshirted and we have an incoming in 2019 who looks special.
What’s really amazing is that we won 7 or 8 games this year with essentially no passing offense. A lot of teams would have just folded. We got it done with what we had.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
What’s really amazing is that we won 7 or 8 games this year with essentially no passing offense. A lot of teams would have just folded. We got it done with what we had.
And, easily could've won 9 or 10 or even 11. Also could've lost a couple more as well. There's often not a ton of difference at GT between 5 wins and 10 wins.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
S

I am dumbfounded by the nonsense posted by some in this thread.

The goal of any offense is neither passing nor rushing success but scoring. Over the last 11 years, we have done that more efficiently than more than 90% of programs. As was said in the OP, the inability of CPJ to field a respectable defense is an enduring mystery.

Our inability to have as much passing success this past year likely has more to do with the QB than the system given our ability to make the necessary passes in 2014 with the same system. However, as you say, our coach was amazingly able to find a way to win even with that deficit.

Still, with all that being said, I should also concede the spirit of the thread and move on. CPJ quit. Continuing to try and defend his legacy is pointless at this point.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
As CPJ belongs on GT's Mount Rushmore of coaches, @stylee certainly deserves to be on GTSwarms Mount Rushmore of posters who contributed to the board's knowledge of X's and O's.

You will be...missed...or fondly remembered...or most likely forgotten once the season starts and our QB is throwing the football all over the field. (Kidding)

...although what's with all these option admirers and their "look at me, look at me...I'm out" threads lately?! Couldn't you and @ilovetheoption combine threads?

(again, I kid of course)
Alexander , Heisman , Dodd, Ross would be my mt Rushmore of gt coaches

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Still, with all that being said, I should also concede the spirit of the thread and move on. CPJ quit. Continuing to try and defend his legacy is pointless at this point.

See, I disagree. I think the legacy is important. In my opinion, Paul Johnson was the perfect coach for GT at the time. And maybe the time has come to move on, but I would be thrilled to hire a PJ protege to succeed him.

The thing is, Georgia Tech is a unique school. I like that it’s unique, and I really don’t want to change it to be like everyone else. I love it when we beat traditional football schools with our unique brand of football. I enjoy the schadenfreud of listening to opponents who can’t believe they lost to the nerds.

So yeah, Collins might be great. And I’ll pull for him if he’s our coach. But I’ll be a little sad that we left behind the PJ legacy and became just another football school.

Geoff Collins might be great, but there are dozens of that guy across the land. There was only one Paul Johnson. And there’s only one Georgia Tech.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
See, I disagree. I think the legacy is important. In my opinion, Paul Johnson was the perfect coach for GT at the time. And maybe the time has come to move on, but I would be thrilled to hire a PJ protege to succeed him.

The thing is, Georgia Tech is a unique school. I like that it’s unique, and I really don’t want to change it to be like everyone else. I love it when we beat traditional football schools with our unique brand of football. I enjoy the schadenfreud of listening to opponents who can’t believe they lost to the nerds.

So yeah, Collins might be great. And I’ll pull for him if he’s our coach. But I’ll be a little sad that we left behind the PJ legacy and became just another football school.

Geoff Collins might be great, but there are dozens of that guy across the land. There was only one Paul Johnson. And there’s only one Georgia Tech.
Preach.