Moving on to the Selection Committee...

Animal02

Banned
I thought about that as I was typing. The LSU rematch game illustrates your point. I boycotted that game btw. You may be right, but Bama did win all 3 of those high profile games.

I think a few qualifying rules would help straighten out things,......i.e. you have to be at least a have won your division of a conference. A conference champion with a ranking within 5 (or whatever 3 ) of a non conference winner gets preference. etc etc.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think a few qualifying rules would help straighten out things,......i.e. you have to be at least a have won your division of a conference. A conference champion with a ranking within 5 (or whatever 3 ) of a non conference winner gets preference. etc etc.
Agree. Under this scenario this year we get FSU, AU, MSU, and Stanford? Works for me.

Animal02

Banned
If you win your division, but lose in the championship game, does that somehow not make every game important?

Not sure what you are saying. I just think winning at least your division as a qualifier to get into the 4 team playoff should be a give. For example, should a 1 lose Alabama team that does not win their division and thus does not play for their conference championship make into the 4 teams when a FSU team who's only loss is in the conference championship sits out?

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd like to see objectively calculable standards used.

While I think it'd be great to see a double octafinal bracket played, let's be a little more serious (oh noes, a long post season!).

I'd break to quarterfinals, with the 6 AQ conference champions in berths. The remaining two places are apportioned to the highest score in wins weighted by opponent wins (ie, 1 x opponent win percentage) Heck, we could even do a modified weight along something of the lines of (10 - SUM(1 x opponent win percentage))/10 to punish you more for losing to easy teams and less for losing to good teams.

That's an imperfect standard, but it does disincentivise playing miss martha's kindergarten 3 games a year. It also has the advantage of excluding horse**** opinions of 'qualified' judges. The best result would be to allow more teams into the tournament and let actual football decide. In that sense, an octafinal round would be substantially better. But, you'd then need to convince people to play three more games instead of two.

Animal02

Banned
I'd like to see objectively calculable standards used.

While I think it'd be great to see a double octafinal bracket played, let's be a little more serious (oh noes, a long post season!).

I'd break to quarterfinals, with the 6 AQ conference champions in berths. The remaining two places are apportioned to the highest score in wins weighted by opponent wins (ie, 1 x opponent win percentage) Heck, we could even do a modified weight along something of the lines of (10 - SUM(1 x opponent win percentage))/10 to punish you more for losing to easy teams and less for losing to good teams.

That's an imperfect standard, but it does disincentivise playing miss martha's kindergarten 3 games a year. It also has the advantage of excluding horse**** opinions of 'qualified' judges. The best result would be to allow more teams into the tournament and let actual football decide. In that sense, an octafinal round would be substantially better. But, you'd then need to convince people to play three more games instead of two.

frikkin engineers :eek:

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
frikkin engineers :eek:
I only stop doing math long enough to cheer the White and Gold.

And I try to slip as much math in there as possible.

Also, my edit window expired, and I realized I meant to say (10-SUM(-loss x (1/opponent win %)))/10

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
This Alabama team didn't win any of those previous championships. As was evident with Auburn, it's not fair (either way) to judge this year's team by last year's performance.
Agree its not fair. I hope I'm not coming across as an Alabama supporter. Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm just trying to see this the way the committee will see it. Humans picking 4 teams. There will be bias. Wasn't Bama ranked #4 before the bowl games?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Just for sake of argument: If Clemson had beaten USCe and finished with one loss, should they get in ahead of a conference champion this past season?