Moving on to the Selection Committee...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My point is that even with the ND loss, MSU would not have been left out of a 4 team playoff and would have had a chance to prove itself.
100% agree.

I like 8 better than 4, but I'll take 4 to start. I think it will eventually end with 8. 5 slots to the five league champs and 3 at-large slots for the Non-AQ leagues, Independents and others.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Undefeated conference champions from the SEC, PAC, B12, B10, ACC in that order. After that, one loss teams in the same order. After that....high ranking SEC teams
Which this year would have yielded FSU, Auburn, Sparty, and Bama? Sounds about right to me.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I hope and think 8 will happen. Eventually. But it will be a while unless the 4 team system completely nose dives.

Animal02

Banned
I hope and think 8 will happen. Eventually. But it will be a while unless the 4 team system completely nose dives.

If and when it moves to a 8 team play off.....that will be the end of the rest of the college bowls.....and to me that will be a big shame. I am not in favor of the endless number of bowl games with 6-6 teams. But I do like the multiple games with different match ups at the end of the year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If and when it moves to a 8 team play off.....that will be the end of the rest of the college bowls.....and to me that will be a big shame. I am not in favor of the endless number of bowl games with 6-6 teams. But I do like the multiple games with different match ups at the end of the year.
Why?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Because they will become completely meaningless and all the attention will be on the "playoff" In the BCS at least, all the other bowl games were teasers leading up to the NC. That is now lost. It is bad enough that ESPN had almost all the games exclusively on cable. They are really ruining college sports
I dunno bout that. An eight team playoff is just 6 games. How many bowls are there now?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Because they will become completely meaningless and all the attention will be on the "playoff" In the BCS at least, all the other bowl games were teasers leading up to the NC. That is now lost. It is bad enough that ESPN had almost all the games exclusively on cable. They are really ruining college sports

If GT wasn't in the 8 team playoff but appeared in the Peach Bowl you wouldn't still be excited? I would.

Animal02

Banned
If GT wasn't in the 8 team playoff but appeared in the Peach Bowl you wouldn't still be excited? I would.

They won't not be, because it is now part of the playoff system. But some people ma get excited about going to the sun bowl every 2 out of three years. Even those playoff "bowl" games will loose a lot......you will not have the combined team functions and goodwill stuff,,,,,,it will be just another week in the grind of the season.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
They won't not be, because it is now part of the playoff system. But some people ma get excited about going to the sun bowl every 2 out of three years. Even those playoff "bowl" games will loose a lot......you will not have the combined team functions and goodwill stuff,,,,,,it will be just another week in the grind of the season.

I understand what you are saying and its a great point. But imo I think the loss of any excitement due to the change will be defaulted by the added excitement of getting your team in the Top 4 or 8 instead of trying to go undefeated/1 loss and being in the Top 2 of the BCS.

Animal02

Banned
I understand what you are saying and its a great point. But imo I think the loss of any excitement due to the change will be defaulted by the added excitement of getting your team in the Top 4 or 8 instead of trying to go undefeated/1 loss and being in the Top 2 of the BCS.

So once you don't.....it will be "who cares" Just like the NIT used to be "The Tournament" it is now a "meh" The playoff games will also not be fan friendly.....it will be corporate friendly. Think about it......the average fan will not be able to travel to 1) conference championship, 2) semi final game (not considering a quarterfinal game) and the NC with less than a week's warning. It was bad enough for students etc trying to get to the Rose bowl from Michigan State....even with three weeks, RT air was $1500 plus game $150 tickets plus hotel.......how many can do that for three weeks?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I would love to have 8, but if your ranked 5th or lower you prob didnt deserve a national championship anyway. Sure people are goin to cry about who's 4th and who's 5th just to have the shot at a NC. But I think the main reason is to give everybody who is a toss up for #1 and #2 a shot which would be the top 4. Nobody ranked 5th can argue they should be #2

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So once you don't.....it will be "who cares" Just like the NIT used to be "The Tournament" it is now a "meh" The playoff games will also not be fan friendly.....it will be corporate friendly. Think about it......the average fan will not be able to travel to 1) conference championship, 2) semi final game (not considering a quarterfinal game) and the NC with less than a week's warning. It was bad enough for students etc trying to get to the Rose bowl from Michigan State....even with three weeks, RT air was $1500 plus game $150 tickets plus hotel.......how many can do that for three weeks?
I would love for the first round to be at the home field of the higher seeded team. That way home field teams fans don't have to travel. It gives added incentive to make the top 4 seeds. This is all mute till they expand it, of course.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Fine, then go to 4 superconferences and have a 4 team play-off with the conference champions only. I think OSU had as much argument this year to be #4 as Alabama. Their only loss was in the B1G Championship Game, while Alabama didn't even play for their league championship. What makes Alabama more deserving?, being in the vaunted SEC? I don't think so.

Animal02

Banned
Fine, then go to 4 superconferences and have a 4 team play-off with the conference champions only. I think OSU had as much argument this year to be #4 as Alabama. Their only loss was in the B1G Championship Game, while Alabama didn't even play for their league championship. What makes Alabama more deserving?, being in the vaunted SEC? I don't think so.

I agree, but there is that ESPN bias that gets in the way. This playoff thing will only extend the insanity further unless they come up with definitive rules for qualifying.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Winning 3 of the last 4 carries a lot of weight more so than the sec bias argument. I despise the SEC as much as anyone else on this board.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The 4 team playoff will either help make or break the SEC bias argument. The homers won't be able to use the "Alabama" had nothing to play for argument when they lose a semifinal playoff game. But if they get 2 teams in the final then expect more of the same.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but did they win because they were put into the position win because of the SEC bias? :eek:
I thought about that as I was typing. The LSU rematch game illustrates your point. I boycotted that game btw. You may be right, but Bama did win all 3 of those high profile games.