Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe this is correct or fair. It's legit to say he has not been competent as a football coach, but not that he hasn't given it a good effort. I don't think you have any evidence of your POV.
My evidence is that from what I've seen, he's concentrated on recruiting and cheerleading more than actual coaching.

How on earth did the self-styled Minister of Mayhem sit by watching our confused and ineffective defense for 3 years before anything got done about it?

Assuming, that is, anything is being done about it.

JacketFan137

Banned
My evidence is that from what I've seen, he's concentrated on recruiting and cheerleading more than actual coaching.

How on earth did the self-styled Minister of Mayhem sit by watching our confused and ineffective defense for 3 years before anything got done about it?
to act like recruiting isn’t “actual coaching” is a really bad faith argument and really unfair to say about any coach. it’s a core tenant of college football no matter how some people on here try to spin it. at this point it’s clear there’s an agenda here

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't cost us anything if someone else hires him and absorbs his contract. That's usually the way it works and I would not doubt the message was for him to look for his next gig.
That's a riot. Geoff, getting hired away and getting his buyout paid...titter, chortle, guffaw...that's a hot one.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is it? I could see Geoff moving on to a DC role at say, Vanderbilt or New Mexico. Anything he makes is deducted from his Tech salary.
Well, I guess that's possible. It would only chip <10% off of what we'd owe, but every little bit helps, I guess.

JacketFan137

Banned
Is it? I could see Geoff moving on to a DC role at say, Vanderbilt or New Mexico. Anything he makes is deducted from his Tech salary.
i don’t think people understand collins saw success in his role as a DC prior to coming here and being a good coordinator at the nfl and college level is not the same as being a head coach at the nfl and college level.

some guys transition successfully so it’s not impossible but look at the dan quinn. ran the falcons into the ground and was a horrible head coach by the end and the cowboys had an amazing defense this year when he joined them.

people are so wrapped up in their collins hate they think this is it for him lol

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
to act like recruiting isn’t “actual coaching” is a really bad faith argument and really unfair to say about any coach. it’s a core tenant of college football no matter how some people on here try to spin it. at this point it’s clear there’s an agenda here
All that coming from the king of bad faith arguments himself. Being a core TENET of college football does not make recruiting = coaching. Is recruiting part of the job, yes, is it coaching, no. His job also includes talking to the media, I guess you think that's coaching too?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, I gave him credit for the recruiting. I said that. But I've also observed his inattentiveness toward our crumbling, confused defense for three long, agonizing years without lifting a finger to fix it. Same coaches, same results. Same problems getting plays in, etc. For three years. As far as what is "actual coaching", it's a matter of semantics. Obviously I know recruiting is part of being a head coach. Coaches "recruit" and they "coach".

stech81

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think people understand collins saw success in his role as a DC prior to coming here and being a good coordinator at the nfl and college level
He coached in the NFL? It's not showing he did. And for college 2 years at Mississippi State and 2 years at Florda Don't know much about them but looking at the years he was DC the scores don't look good. And I who have to believe he was coaching other players that the past coaches brought in.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He coached in the NFL? It's not showing he did. And for college 2 years at Mississippi State and 2 years at Florda Don't know much about them but looking at the years he was DC the scores don't look good. And I who have to believe he was coaching other players that the past coaches brought in.
Geoff Collins has never as much as sniffed the NFL.

JacketFan137

Banned
i just meant like in general football coaches in the nfl and ncaa.

JacketFan137

Banned
All that coming from the king of bad faith arguments himself. Being a core TENET of college football does not make recruiting = coaching. Is recruiting part of the job, yes, is it coaching, no. His job also includes talking to the media, I guess you think that's coaching too?
“king of bad faith arguments”

apparently that’s what i get for not being over the top negative