Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
hTicking away the moments that make up a full day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
IF by Kipling ......If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds of distance run , the your is the world and all that is in it........

In 69 i took a lot of recruiting trips and heard a lot of corporate guys. Conoco was a mini major - their interviewer said "your success in any thing and your whole life will be determined by how you prioritize your time. At Conoco we ..."

Collins looks at his """world""" which is his finished gt goal and sees many things that we will have. He spent way to much time on the things that could be added later. Example : First year he had the coaches cooking pancakes at the early morning practice. That was great. Last year Gt had changed the way the players come on the field in pregame so the came out and were announced by position groups.

First year - he ran practice and weight training so every body got time. Collins says "we are going to be play the players that are at peak. \

Everyone including the scout team needs reps in practice - we run our practices fast to everyone knows the plays. When we are near the goal of being great - yea we need all the players knowing the plays.

Over the 3 years he developed metrics that show he is playing lots of people. First year we failed many times to get the guys on the field against hurry up offenses. Last year when we are again near last in defensive stats, he still was quoting how well we are doing at getting fresh guys on the field.

IMO< Collins lacks the ability to slow down and just say - how are we getting closer, do we need to change "BIG" things. He just keeps adding little things.

The hard to un see "Red BDS Event" forced him to change staff that is (hopefully) wise and demanding.

We have players who are older, stronger, and pissed off. They have have to be tired of being defended by a motherly coach.\

This year if these coaches and these players play each game with 4 quarters of quality play, that will be a great and easily seen change.

If they do, can Collins look for the next building block or will he be coming up with with stuff that is way out order.

The lack of building on what we have has been the major problem.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I hear that you could get a great old fashioned on the Titanic. Get a good cocktail, get your seat lined up just right, hear the band play, watch an iceberg show...
Then enjoy an invigorating ice bath and relax as pain and inflammation just melts away before you experience the best nights sleep of your life.

Not a good model for repeat business but if the marketing is good enough you can fool anyone once. There’s a correlation in here somewhere... I can feel it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the idea that GT is ever going to get 5 star recruits is delusional.
How many 5 star recruits has GT gotten in its history - I believe Calvin is the only one since the inception of modern recruiting? That tells you the answer.
Just getting 4-5 4-star recruits consistently would be a huge upgrade.

GT is not a factory school and never will be. It's alumni base it too small, it's curriculum is more narrow than others schools, it does not have a big non-alumni following (it's not the state school), it's budget is not large enough to compete consistently with the top schools. Also, living in a city with alot of other entertaiment options competing for dollars is a negative (how many strong college football programs do you see in big cities)?

I guess i'm one of the pessimists that does not believe GT can compete for championships, barring a once in a generation type team. I'm also ok with that. I'd rather be a realist than have a delusional mindset that is always going to come up short.

If there was anything in the last 25 years suggesting GT could compete at the top of the sport i'd think differently, but there really isn't.
GT is currently a bottom quarter P5 job in one of the weaker P5 conferences.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How many 5 star recruits has GT gotten in its history - I believe Calvin is the only one since the inception of modern recruiting? That tells you the answer.

GT is not a factory school and never will be. It's alumni base it too small, it's curriculum is more narrow than others schools, it does not have a big non-alumni following (it's not the state school), it's budget is not large enough to compete consistently with the top schools. Also, living in a city with alot of other entertaiment options competing for dollars is a negative (how many strong college football programs do you see in big cities)?

I guess i'm one of the pessimists that does not believe GT can compete for championships, barring a once in a generation type team. I'm also ok with that. I'd rather be a realist than have a delusional mindset that is always going to come up short.

If there was anything in the last 25 years suggesting GT could compete at the top of the sport i'd think differently, but there really isn't.
Hobie Holiday was at one point a 5-star, IIRC.

I think Collins could reel in some 5-stars eventually, if he could only coach. But he can't, so he won't.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hear that you could get a great old fashioned on the Titanic. Get a good cocktail, get your seat lined up just right, hear the band play, watch an iceberg show...
I have recently started making old fashioned cocktails. I think I have gotten really good at them. Secret is a good bourbon and angostura bitters. Unfortunately they go down way too easy.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
My first football season on campus was 1987. Bill Curry was gone. Bobby Ross was the new HC. There were rumors of turmoil in the locker room. The Yellow Jackets beat two teams that season, The Citadel and Indiana State. The talk around campus regarding football consisted of a mixture of dropping down a division, making it a club sport, or ending the program all together. I remember someone asking why we couldn’t at least be consistently mediocre, like NC State. Three seasons later, Coach Ross led the Yellow Jackets to defeating Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl for a share of the national title.
Is it ever really hopeless? Maybe I was a Tech student at a magical time.
I wonder what a Yellow Jacket Football Message Board would have looked like in 1987, if such things existed then.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I have recently started making old fashioned cocktails. I think I have gotten really good at them. Secret is a good bourbon and angostura bitters. Unfortunately they go down way too easy.
My wife makes a killer cocktail with jalapeno-infused gin. Something like a southside, but with a kick. (Am I doing this right, after the whole thread-renaming?)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My wife makes a killer cocktail with jalapeno-infused gin. Something like a southside, but with a kick. (Am I doing this right, after the whole thread-renaming?)
With regard to the firing of Collins….I like a little hotness to my cocktails now and then. With a Bloody Mary, the more horseradish and Texas Pete the more I can increase the vodka and still keep it a balanced flavor.

JacketFan137

Banned
We're not getting 5 star recruits. Unless its Joe Hamilton or Shawn Jones' kid, no 5 star is coming here. I also don't think that's necessary for us to win.
not necessary to win the division for sure. to beat clemson semi regularly we need it.

to even step on the field with UGA now you need it.

not necessarily 5* but if you can’t recruit close to top 25 level then kiss your shot at keeping the uga game competitive goodbye. it’s starting to look like a different era of uga football and it’s not gonna go too well for us

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
not necessary to win the division for sure. to beat clemson semi regularly we need it.

to even step on the field with UGA now you need it.

not necessarily 5* but if you can’t recruit close to top 25 level then kiss your shot at keeping the uga game competitive goodbye. it’s starting to look like a different era of uga football and it’s not gonna go too well for us
As long as UGA continues at their current level I agree with you. We won't ever have a sustainable run recruiting in the top 25 for all the reasons stated continuously in this thread and others. It's not gonna happen and never was. What's sad is that CGC has definitely improved our recruiting, but he oversold ADTS and others on what was possible. With more realistic expectations there might not be so much angst in the fan base.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

I understand your point and don’t totally disagree. But that team that beat Miss St In the Orange Bowl would have been hell for anyone in a playoff format. There’s a reason Swofford gave everyone bye weeks before playing us. Because without bye weeks we would have won the Coastal several more times. That’s why I’m excited about the upcoming expanded playoffs (yes I know it’s not here yet but it’s coming). Teams who are hot or quirky will make runs.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am almost certain- there still is a flickering glimmer of hope- that we may very well be looking at another 3 win, possibly 4 win, season.
Based off of past performance of our HC, i am starting to dream about the excuses we might hear:

"Clemson is an elite, national championship team with superstars all over the field "...........that's why we lost by 4 TDs
"Western Carolina surprised us..... We made too many errors with penalties......that last drive ( think NIU ) for their winning FG happened because we were out of ( wasted) time outs."
"Ole Miss is an elite program . We made some crucial errors in our Secondary coverage allowing them those 2 long TDs. We will get that fixed. That's on me "
" UCF was one we let slip away. But you know we are very young , especially on defense, and we will get better "
" Pitt is an elite program, The Soph QB ( Beville ) plays a lot older than his years. Their DL manhandled our OL - they are elite, you know- and we couldn't get our running game going"
"Duke gave us a battle , but we kicked that long FG ( 25 yards) to win a battle against a powerful conference opponent 13-10"

OCTOBER 7th 2022. BREAKING NEWS !!! CGC has been released as HC after compiling a 1-5 record over the 1st half of the 2022 season.
Chip Long has been named interim HC.

Then I woke up from my dream........

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point and don’t totally disagree. But that team that beat Miss St In the Orange Bowl would have been hell for anyone in a playoff format. There’s a reason Swofford gave everyone bye weeks before playing us. Because without bye weeks we would have won the Coastal several more times. That’s why I’m excited about the upcoming expanded playoffs (yes I know it’s not here yet but it’s coming). Teams who are hot or quirky will make runs.
At orange bowl and last half of 14 we had a massive ol that used drive blocking differently than in in past. Cpj is a genius.
That period we could not be stopped. In a playoff format if we could have occasionally added some very aggressive defense, we could have beaten anyone.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Garnish with celery, olives, pepperoncini and pickled okra and you’ve got dinner 😊
The Bloody Mary recipe I really want to try uses Szechuan peppercorn-infused vodka to give it a kick.

Moonrise Distillery up in N Georgia (I’m guessing you are familiar with the place) has a really good premixed & canned Bloody Mary that uses rye as its base rather than vodka. My wife and I stocked up last Summer, to have a supply for our first noon tailgate.