Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
With the realignments coming, you will have 69 teams in Power 5 counting Notre Dame (ACC 14, Big 12 12 (finally got the right number), Big 10 14, SEC 16, Pac 12 12). If you are a coach making a decision on a place you would like to go, I would look at my salary, salary for staff, salary for Scouting, facilities, NIL sponsorships, athletic contributions, conference revenue, etc. I could even add recent football tradition (say since 2000). If you take off your rose color glasses, where would you realistically put Georgia Tech? Certainly not top half and I would even say we could potentially be in the bottom 25%. So if you fire Geoff, you are mostly likely going after a coordinator, maybe Group of 5, or FCS. I would venture any of those would be as big a risk if not bigger risk than Collins when he was hired. No I don't think Collins has done a good job, but if you are ready to get rid of someone, you really have to think about his replacement and how much risk they bring to that decision.

JacketFan137

Banned
With the realignments coming, you will have 69 teams in Power 5 counting Notre Dame (ACC 14, Big 12 12 (finally got the right number), Big 10 14, SEC 16, Pac 12 12). If you are a coach making a decision on a place you would like to go, I would look at my salary, salary for staff, salary for Scouting, facilities, NIL sponsorships, athletic contributions, conference revenue, etc. I could even add recent football tradition (say since 2000). If you take off your rose color glasses, where would you realistically put Georgia Tech? Certainly not top half and I would even say we could potentially be in the bottom 25%. So if you fire Geoff, you are mostly likely going after a coordinator, maybe Group of 5, or FCS. I would venture any of those would be as big a risk if not bigger risk than Collins when he was hired. No I don't think Collins has done a good job, but if you are ready to get rid of someone, you really have to think about his replacement and how much risk they bring to that decision.
i guess at that point the argument could be made that it can’t go anywhere but up. that being said the expectations about the next coach need to be realistic because honestly looking back at some of the most rumored candidates during the cycle we hired collins, it’s not like we missed out on guys that are making massive dents in the coaching world.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
i guess at that point the argument could be made that it can’t go anywhere but up. that being said the expectations about the next coach need to be realistic because honestly looking back at some of the most rumored candidates during the cycle we hired collins, it’s not like we missed out on guys that are making massive dents in the coaching world.
We missed out on a guy who's going to make a massive dent in the coaching world IMO, and that's Tony Elliott.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We missed out on a guy who's going to make a massive dent in the coaching world IMO, and that's Tony Elliott.
Ah yes. Tony Elliot. The guy who had a #5 ranked OG, 3 different top 30 TE including #1 from the 2021 class, a #1 ranked RB, 2 top 15 WR who were both in the top 100 overall from their class, and a #1 overall QB and put up 14 points on that vaunted Georgia Tech defense who allowed 33.5 a game. The guy who finished 82nd in PPG with all that talent. The guy who finished 84th in OFEI with all that talent, behind Georgia Tech who finished 78th. The guy who failed to score more than 20 points in 6 of their 13 games this year with all that talent. A feat Georgia tech managed to accomplish only 4 times.

Yeah, Tony Elliot. Dude is for sure about to light the world on fire. No doubt. Folks around here wanted CDP gone for literally putting a better offense on the field than Elliot did with half as much talent. Now he’s some coaching god? Lol.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
What if you just don't like the guy. He's not winning so, what else is there.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ah yes. Tony Elliot. The guy who had a #5 ranked OG, 3 different top 30 TE including #1 from the 2021 class, a #1 ranked RB, 2 top 15 WR who were both in the top 100 overall from their class, and a #1 overall QB and put up 14 points on that vaunted Georgia Tech defense who allowed 33.5 a game. The guy who finished 82nd in PPG with all that talent. The guy who finished 84th in OFEI with all that talent, behind Georgia Tech who finished 78th. The guy who failed to score more than 20 points in 6 of their 13 games this year with all that talent. A feat Georgia tech managed to accomplish only 4 times.

Yeah, Tony Elliot. Dude is for sure about to light the world on fire. No doubt. Folks around here wanted CDP gone for literally putting a better offense on the field than Elliot did with half as much talent. Now he’s some coaching god? Lol.
these people are beyond lost. just cause someone is literally not collins they are amazing to these people. clemson’s fanbase wanted him fired all year. had he still been there it might have been a 350 page thread on him on tigernet by this point.

i also think he said he wasn’t ready and that’s pretty clear by the fact it took him 3 years to finally take a head coaching job.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Shameful to have 346 pages of this garbage. We have parents of players and recruits on here that read this stuff.

If you all want GT football to be successful, you need to support them now and forever. Not only when they are playing well. If you're going to be a fan, be a ****ing fan.
I never knew fans were always happy. There’s a difference between supporting an organization and supporting the CEO of an organization. Learn the difference

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Both of you are welcome to ignore the thread.
It's the old Woody Woodbary joke:

"Dear gentlemen of the fraternity house,
Please close the drapes in your rooms when you are undressing! We don't want this course in comparative anatomy"

"Dear ladies of the sorority house,
This course is not compulsory."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … with the right coach and approach, I'd put Tech in the top quarter of these teams. That's where we were, imho, before we brought in Collins. And when (not if) Tech fires him, we'll go after a coach who can win. I don't know who that will be (*cough* Bohannion or Clawson *cough*) but, at this point, it is going to actually take a few years - 2 would be my guess - for that coach to get Tech back on track. I don't think you have processed the amount of damage to the program already done by the last 3 years. We went from a team that went to bowls almost every year and regularly contended for ACC division and league championships to … the laughing stock we see around us. That really will be a difficult transition, but, with a different staff, I'm certain that it will happen.

Now, watch: we'll win 7 games next year. That's what always happens when I say stuff like this.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well … with the right coach and approach, I'd put Tech in the top quarter of these teams. That's where we were, imho, before we brought in Collins. And when (not if) Tech fires him, we'll go after a coach who can win. I don't know who that will be (*cough* Bohannion or Clawson *cough*) but, at this point, it is going to actually take a few years - 2 would be my guess - for that coach to get Tech back on track. I don't think you have processed the amount of damage to the program already done by the last 3 years. We went from a team that went to bowls almost every year and regularly contended for ACC division and league championships to … the laughing stock we see around us. That really will be a difficult transition, but, with a different staff, I'm certain that it will happen.

Now, watch: we'll win 7 games next year. That's what always happens when I say stuff like this.
Why would some one that's top 25% in quality work for a team that has bottom 25% in money available for his salary?

I assume tech men are used to and demand being at near top of salary. Yet it seems we think we can have top team without top coaching salaries.

Yea, raise salaries and hire from that pool.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Why would some one that's top 25% in quality work for a team that has bottom 25% in money available for his salary?

I assume tech men are used to and demand being at near top of salary. Yet it seems we think we can have top team without top coaching salaries.

Yea, raise salaries and hire from that pool.
Yes, that is the main stumbling block and we had better be ready to get over it. I. think any coach we approach is at a school that will do whatever they can to retain him. We need to be ready to meet and beat any counteroffer. This means that coaches can leverage a Tech offer into a higher line where they are, but that is unavoidable.

However, if we had the money to buy out Collins this year, then I assume we can raise the cash necessary. Hope so, at least.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Mods please remove or move all posts that don't pertain to firing CGC. Thank you
I used to work out at a gym owned by a former pro wrestler (not a big name). I think he owned it as a hobby/free way to have access to a full set of gym equipment.

Anyways, he had signs all over the place that said "your mom doesn't work here, clean up after yourself". He was at least getting a monthly payment from us.

So when these unpaid mods get demands like this, dimly disguised as a request... Idk, if it were me, I'd be tempted to do the opposite despite my own views on it.