Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
Similar numbers with similar number of recruits were lambasted before. The people who lambasted before now appear to believe the formula isn't accurate and people who defended before are now lambasting. In general I would like to win the recruiting game by getting the players that GT needs to make a difference instead of "winning" a somewhat arbitrary formula on for-profit websites that use those formulas to drive ad revenue. Getting players you need to fill spots you need filled can win games. Winning a numerical formula on a website doesn't win games.
it doesn’t win games but it’s not really a coincidence that that the teams that are consistently in the playoffs tend to be found near the top.

not the end all be all but it’s getting old seeing people say “recruiting rankings don’t matter” as a thinly veiled paul johnson dog whistle lol

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
not the end all be all but it’s getting old seeing people say “recruiting rankings don’t matter” as a thinly veiled paul johnson dog whistle lol
How is it a CPJ dog whistle for someone to say that CGC's mid 40s ranking doesn't matter?

The point of my post was that formulas created by a website don't really mean much. No matter who the coach at GT is, if he is filling the spots that need to be filled and doesn't reach 25 signees, he won't have a high number based on the formulas. (I think most use the top 20, so signing 25 would allow the lowest rated to fall off the formula.)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Building on Kelly’s notes…here’s the full presser

There are a number of things I don't like about his pressers (not the least of which is the lack of real answers and instead, just rambling), but ... when asked about the "Deep Dive" that he kept saying he would do, it seems as if the "Deep Dive" consisted of an Organizational Behavior consultant asking some typical labor management questions. I'm left wondering ... IS THIS the Deep Dive?

Also, did you catch the "We made some changes, .." to "I mean, I made some changes ...". Tell me ... he was told to make them. And here's the list. Let's check it twice.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I think he only said elite once. That is definitely an upgrade. Remains to be seen if he's serious. THouhg Im pretty sure he paraphrased saban on that "its all on me" speech i swear i heard some of that before after an alabama loss.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that is the number; but the number is calculated based on 20 recruits. We don't have 20
Now that we live in the brave new world of college free agency, aka the portal, (editors note, I'm fine with it), are there any ranking systems out there that accommodate transfers to compare the player acquisitions for a team from season to season?

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't necessarily disagree with that overall sentiment, but I just feel like this fan base as a whole will jump on any small opportunity to be negative. I think that's gotta change though, no 18 year old wants to come and play football when the people watching him act like the old dudes from the Muppets.
I’m mid 40’s. It’s not jumping on any small thing. It’s getting your teeth kicked in and and coach acting like a 20 year old in the process. Nothing has improved, his statements in the press conference are the same except for the things he had to change. Kids want to win or at least be competitive at a high level.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
He needs to be more precise and to the point and then shut up and go to the next question, he just goes on and on and on. Overall I liked the crux of what he was saying in his message, he just needs to get it done, a whole lot less talk and and a whole lot more do and then let the chips fall where they may. The man has to learn how to be a head coach within the next year in order to keep his job as HC of the Jackets IMO. He will be in my prayers and hope he does some praying himself, and he will get the help he needs I'm guessing.
Instead of being reactionary he needs to get ahead of the problems, when he sees them address them promptly. For instance he obviously had a problem with too many DB coaches it appears and did not address the problem, i may have the problem wrong but there was a communication /coaching problem with DBs.
I want him to succeed at his "dream job".

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm am not sure that is completely fair. Yes, that is the number; but the number is calculated based on 20 recruits. We don't have 20, and one of ours is a kicker (a durn good kicker, but kickers don't get high ratings). We have a group of recruits that individually are highly ranked and that is a good thing. Unless you are gonna start bashing individual recruits before their 1st practice?
If he won 7 games he would have a top 25 signing class…since that motivation would recenter his attention on wins vs anything else. He was punished severely after this season for loosing that focus…

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
talk less season 2 GIF

Overall I liked the crux of what he was saying in his message, he just needs to get it done, a whole lot less talk and and a whole lot more do and then let the chips fall where they may.
I think I understand what you're saying....

GTBlaze

Banned
Here's hoping that all of the negative press finally got him to change his approach.

As to Thacker, I'm still wondering whats going on with that. Why keep thacker but not coach Pat ? To me they both equally did a poor job
I actually don’t think the press has been bad to him at all.. it’s been the fans that have been brutal with him and rightfully so.

I would love to see CGC succeed but unless there is a drastic approach to the X’s and O’s and practice, I just don’t see him Turing anything around

I truly hope I am wrong

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually don’t think the press has been bad to him at all.. it’s been the fans that have been brutal with him and rightfully so.

I would love to see CGC succeed but unless there is a drastic approach to the X’s and O’s and practice, I just don’t see him Turing anything around

I truly hope I am wrong
The press has largely given him a free pass. The results are catching up with him and now they smell blood in the water. Solution - don’t go 9 for three years

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m mid 40’s. It’s not jumping on any small thing. It’s getting your teeth kicked in and and coach acting like a 20 year old in the process. Nothing has improved, his statements in the press conference are the same except for the things he had to change. Kids want to win or at least be competitive at a high level.
I get it, I'm not arguing that there are certainly gaping issues needing to be fixed (we won three games, an orangutan can realize there is a problem). I'm saying going after Coach Collins for doing something like sending out a snack survey (just an example, there's tons of knick knacky things that everyone loves to crucify the guy for) is just stupid, and it does nothing but breed negativity for negativity's sake. 'Cus what's really so wrong with asking the players what type of sandwich they like?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
the people watching him act like the old dudes from the Muppets.
This might be the most accurate characterization of the GT fan base. At least the vast majority of folks who post on here.

Only time some of them were somewhat “happy” is when we had a salty old dude walking the sidelines.

I appreciated PJ’s demeanor when we were playing well. When we sucked, it was less bearable.

But when I think of GT fans, I think of stodgy old men talking about how hard the school is (“back in my day”), international students that don’t really care, or people that won’t make eye contact with you when you walk past them.

I guess it’s better than what I think of dwag fans or most SEC fans in general, but it’s still a sad state of what our fanbase is.