Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Snack surveys. Have Mercy.
I can’t help but get the feeling that he basically talked his way into this job knowing he was in over his head. Maybe it was the money? The location? But when I hear things he says and doesn’t say something is just not right. I mean the culture and brand is set? WTH, so now we’re going to coach ball. Not good.
He bet on himself but he’s not a head coach. Sorry this is just my opinion
Backed up with a lot of on field performance. (Or lack thereof)

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys,,, I guess I’m a koolaid drinking fool,,, but after hearing his comments at the press conference, I’m going ahead & renewing my season tickets. I was considering not doing it, but I’m an optimist!!! (Plus a couple of Irish Martinis!! - Kailua, Irish whisky, & cold coffee) All helped me make the decision! Seems Thacker will still be the DC, but Collins will take a more active role?? Today seemed to be a pretty good day for GT football,,,
GO JACKETS!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Y'all know I don't like CGC but I'll get behind him one more time with the hope he has learned something. But it would have helped to see a new DC
Thanks for posting this - did it have anything to do with offering u a couple a beers at BDS.
I think that getting the 2 4Stsr dl guys may have had something to do w Thacker, but dont know for sure.
That said your show of support really turned on the fc fc fc fc fcfc fc fc crowd.
Kelly q says till feb 22 we will be looking at transfers and recruits. For the class rating business, he says its a brave new world.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this - did it have anything to do with offering u a couple a beers at BDS.
I think that getting the 2 4Stsr dl guys may have had something to do w Thacker, but dont know for sure.
That said your show of support really turned on the fc fc fc fc fcfc fc fc crowd.
Kelly q says till feb 22 we will be looking at transfers and recruits. For the class rating business, he says its a brave new world.
:)

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I am absolutely gobsmacked to hear that Thacker could possibly be the guy to fix our defense. With this news my expectation is that our defense will be exactly as bad, if not worse, than last year’s and we will see the same issues of poor communication, plays coming in late, always giving up 3rd and long, etc… The staff will get no benefit of the doubt. They have to have everything working from the first snap and I will definitely be skeptical and have a negative expectation until shown I’m wrong.

I’m going to root for the Jackets and hope like heck that I’m wrong. Truly I would like nothing better than to be proven wrong. Thacker and company already proved me wrong because I originally thought he would lead a good defense. Here’s hoping they prove me wrong again, this time in a good way.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this to a point, but I think Collins is worried that if he keeps pushing his culture the same way as he has in previous years that he is going to lose the fan base entirely. We have all (most of us anyways) already come to the conclusion that his pressers are usually meaningless and filled with flat platitudes that make normal coach speak seem insightful and, while our social media presence has improved greatly, it will not help us recruit as much as a winning season next year. If I am understanding what I am hearing regarding the presser today, Collins is changing course and focusing on results on the field. No doubt this is partly motivated by self-preservation but imo is also the correct course. Give CGC credit where credit is due, if he is truly being insightful and learing from his previous mistakes, we can all be happy given the circumstances. Changing your approach to things is not always easy.
A lot of this stuff is likely being mocked by teams recruiting the same guys we are. We have mocked a lot of that stuff on this board. Happens when you only win 30% of your games. Kirby had a little quip about "elite" during the UGA beat down.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any confidence in Collins, but there are hopeful signs. New OC with some hard bark on him, and ONE defensive back coach instead of the "I've got it, you take it" clustermuck we've been watching for three years. Things might improve in spite of Geoff.
I'm not sure we could have any any much better of a day today, could we? We got that going for us.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Just two comments on what he said in the presser:

1. I really hope, if the D looks as bad as it did this year in the first couple of games — and even if we’re playing ranked teams, you can still tell if there’s no pass rush, DBs out of position, etc.— then he’ll make a change, even if it neans taking full responsibility for the D himself mid-season.
2. If “less focus on branding and culture“ includes doing away with Money Down and sideline dancing, I’m down with that.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Snack surveys. Have Mercy.
I can’t help but get the feeling that he basically talked his way into this job knowing he was in over his head. Maybe it was the money? The location? But when I hear things he says and doesn’t say something is just not right. I mean the culture and brand is set? WTH, so now we’re going to coach ball. Not good.
He bet on himself but he’s not a head coach. Sorry this is just my opinion
He asked the players what snack they wanted, how immature of him, y'all will do anything to hate on Coach Collins.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s more of the overall things he said. Snack survey is an example. He doesn’t know what he’s doing and he thought he could wing it and things would just work with style rather than substance (football)
I love GT sports. I want everyone in the program to succeed. This hire was a big mistake.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s more of the overall things he said. Snack survey is an example. He doesn’t know what he’s doing and he thought he could wing it and things would just work with style rather than substance (football)
I love GT sports. I want everyone in the program to succeed. This hire was a big mistake.
I don't necessarily disagree with that overall sentiment, but I just feel like this fan base as a whole will jump on any small opportunity to be negative. I think that's gotta change though, no 18 year old wants to come and play football when the people watching him act like the old dudes from the Muppets.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It was liking handing the keys to a kid. He may recruit better and part of that is bc he acts like a 19 year old and is best friend with the players. Maybe in the end he has grown up after the past three years and will prove us wrong. I sure hope he does.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't necessarily disagree with that overall sentiment, but I just feel like this fan base as a whole will jump on any small opportunity to be negative. I think that's gotta change though, no 18 year old wants to come and play football when the people watching him act like the old dudes from the Muppets.

Jump on any small opportunity? We're at the point of people just flat out making stuff up to be negative about him.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm am not sure that is completely fair. Yes, that is the number; but the number is calculated based on 20 recruits. We don't have 20, and one of ours is a kicker (a durn good kicker, but kickers don't get high ratings). We have a group of recruits that individually are highly ranked and that is a good thing. Unless you are gonna start bashing individual recruits before their 1st practice?
Similar numbers with similar number of recruits were lambasted before. The people who lambasted before now appear to believe the formula isn't accurate and people who defended before are now lambasting. In general I would like to win the recruiting game by getting the players that GT needs to make a difference instead of "winning" a somewhat arbitrary formula on for-profit websites that use those formulas to drive ad revenue. Getting players you need to fill spots you need filled can win games. Winning a numerical formula on a website doesn't win games.