Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Relentless recruiting earns us a top 43 recruiting class!!! Eat that Collins haters!!!
I'm am not sure that is completely fair. Yes, that is the number; but the number is calculated based on 20 recruits. We don't have 20, and one of ours is a kicker (a durn good kicker, but kickers don't get high ratings). We have a group of recruits that individually are highly ranked and that is a good thing. Unless you are gonna start bashing individual recruits before their 1st practice?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm am not sure that is completely fair. Yes, that is the number; but the number is calculated based on 20 recruits. We don't have 20, and one of ours is a kicker (a durn good kicker, but kickers don't get high ratings). We have a group that individually are highly ranked and that is a good thing. Unless you are gonna start bashing individual recruits before their 1st practice?
Agree with this. I am as tired of CGC as everyone else but one an average basis, we are in the 28-33 range roughly with a kicker committed. That is pretty commendable considering 9 wins in 3 years.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Y'all know I don't like CGC but I'll get behind him one more time with the hope he has learned something. But it would have helped to see a new DC
Here's hoping that all of the negative press finally got him to change his approach.

As to Thacker, I'm still wondering whats going on with that. Why keep thacker but not coach Pat ? To me they both equally did a poor job

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He didn’t break up the DB room at his other jobs, and he decided to change that when he came to Tech? Dear lord! Why would you change something that supposedly has been working for you? Georgia Tech is hard enough to succeed at in general already! It’s one thing to experiment when what you’ve been doing isn’t working, but to mess with something unnecessarily when the stakes are higher is just folly! Geez! These are real people with real careers and families at stake, Geoff! You need to be taking these kinds of things seriously!

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
He didn’t break up the DB room at his other jobs, and he decided to change that when he came to Tech? Dear lord! Why would you change something that supposedly has been working for you? Georgia Tech is hard enough to succeed at in general already! It’s one thing to experiment when what you’ve been doing isn’t working, but to mess with something unnecessarily when the stakes are higher is just folly! Geez! These are real people with real careers and families at stake, Geoff! You need to be taking these kinds of things seriously!
Yeah, I still haven't figured out what he was trying to say there. Why not say I wanted to try it and it was not successful. I messed up and we'll get it better every. single. day :rolleyes:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you except for the “by mid season”. May have an interim by mid season if we don’t come out of the gates swinging.
First game is clemson iirc
So at half time of the clemson game when tstan took the job during the previous coaching staff , the score board said gt 26 yards clemson 23 points.
We sure need to bust out and do better than that. ( that team beat ga and won gator bowl ) year before went 3 and 9 and following year went 5-6.

W clemson and old miss early i am gojng to hold out till mid year and then watch to see clear overall on field improvement that is due to player devlopement.

We need to start knocking some runners down - this look at me got a tackle and but runner got 8 yds with 6 yds after contact needs to stop.

We need to see some stretches where we clearly impose our will.

And yea if its a dumpster fire all bets are off.
I think we could have a good recruiting class this year inspite of our record. If we can begin to show some dominance , we could have a very good recruiting class next year. Also after this year ( assuming sims is progressing - we should be old like Pittsburgh was this year - all sr on ol and super senior qb.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Collins said he realized less branding and less culture and more football. He said at the end of the day it falls back on him, it is his job to get it fixed.
So, I think it's pretty egregious that it took him three years to realize this.

But. This may be the beginning of his redemption arc. Maybe for him this was a lesson he needed to learn the hard way (at the expense of the fans), but will work out in the long run. Considering the enormous amount of leash TStan has given him, the best we can hope for is for Collins to exhibit one of the greatest turnarounds of a program starting from this moment.

Go Jackets.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
He’s filling the next two positions in the upcoming two weeks? With one coaching opening. Does that mean, someone gets to double up?
Its a shame Nate & Jeff took the fall for the DB’s/Safeties, when Collins was supposedly coaching that group with them and a G.A. Of course that was too much, Coach!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I still haven't figured out what he was trying to say there. Why not say I wanted to try it and it was not successful. I messed up and we'll get it better every. single. day :rolleyes:
I’ve really tried to be patient with him and give him the benefit of the doubt because, regardless of our impatience, there was a big transition and rebuild that needed to happen after CPJ. But this, combined with the perplexing scheming of the front 6 this past season and the even more perplexing scheming of the secondary, really starts to make it look like Collins has been not taking the job seriously and messing around with the defense on a whim, rather than trying putting all the effort he could muster into squeezing out every single win he could from our schedule. Now that’s pretty rampant speculation here, and kudos to him for admitting fault, but this is not a good look for him or the staff.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve really tried to be patient with him and give him the benefit of the doubt because, regardless of our impatience, there was a big transition and rebuild that needed to happen after CPJ. But this, combined with the perplexing scheming of the front 6 this past season and the even more perplexing scheming of the secondary, really starts to make it look like Collins has been not taking the job seriously and messing around with the defense on a whim, rather than trying putting all the effort he could muster into squeezing out every single win he could from our schedule. Now that’s pretty rampant speculation here, and kudos to him for admitting fault, but this is not a good look for him or the staff.
He's just not up to the job. The evidence has been there since Game 1 Year 1.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He’s filling the next two positions in the upcoming two weeks? With one coaching opening. Does that mean, someone gets to double up?
Its a shame Nate & Jeff took the fall for the DB’s/Safeties, when Collins was supposedly coaching that group with them and a G.A. Of course that was too much, Coach!

Did I miss something? We lost 4 coaches, the two dbs, OC, and RB, and added one db and an OC. Did we add a third that I am forgetting?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Keeping Thacker is a pretty huge red flag. The defense is historically bad right now, the LBs have not looked good the last 3 years, and he isn't exactly a great recruiter. I'll believe the TE thing when I see it, they've been radio silent for the past three years. I won't hate on the rest of what he said, because I'm trying not to dump on Collins all the time like I have been lately.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y'all know I don't like CGC but I'll get behind him one more time with the hope he has learned something. But it would have helped to see a new DC
Did you watch the press conference, He hasn’t learned a thing.

I’m glad he can’t wait to get back with the “fellas”. He probably misses pizza and movie nights with his only friends. Ive never heard any coach, let alone one who has won 9 games in 3 years, who talks like this. Leach talks about “ fat little girlfriends” after 1 loss and Saban would have an aneurism if his team performed like ours. But, glad he is looking forward to getting back to the “fellas”. These fellas are gonna get you fired. You are not their friend. You are their coach.

Last edited:

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Snack surveys. Have Mercy.
I can’t help but get the feeling that he basically talked his way into this job knowing he was in over his head. Maybe it was the money? The location? But when I hear things he says and doesn’t say something is just not right. I mean the culture and brand is set? WTH, so now we’re going to coach ball. Not good.
He bet on himself but he’s not a head coach. Sorry this is just my opinion

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So, I think it's pretty egregious that it took him three years to realize this.

But. This may be the beginning of his redemption arc. Maybe for him this was a lesson he needed to learn the hard way (at the expense of the fans), but will work out in the long run. Considering the enormous amount of leash TStan has given him, the best we can hope for is for Collins to exhibit one of the greatest turnarounds of a program starting from this moment.

Go Jackets.
Sometimes it takes a while to beat down through someones arrogance and false confidence before they realize they are not all they thought they were. A lot of good can come out of these situations.
Step one: He is starting to do a better job of talking to the fans in a real world manor not some made up marketing crap. I like it!

I plan to support him next year, maybe even if Thacker is taking more control of the defense than I would like. If they can just fix the pass defense we would have been so much better. I like our DL coaches a lot