Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Money to make a change does not equate to money to make the needed change. There was no point in firing Collins just to go bargain bin hunting for a coach that will almost certainly fail.
if that was the case, then the AD did not have the money to make the change.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
so what is the benefit in announcing if you do not have it?
To force CGC's hand to accept the changes that he needs to do.

Also, I think there are two parts to the money. Yes we may have it to buy him out. But is there more money to build out a proper staff for the next guy?

I like the new OC we hired and he may be able to significantly turn the corner.
Defense scares the crap out of me. I mean I guess we could get worse statistically.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure they have it in some form or another, but the reality is that whatever we spend on a buyout we can't spend on something else. Announcing we have the money is for the purpose of controlling the narrative (that we are choosing to give Collins another year, we are not forced to do so) so that we can show some strength.

It's kind of like GT fans, we have the money to help the program, buy tickets, etc... we just choose to ***** and moan instead of show up.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

There could be any possible reasons.

It could be to try and apply pressure to Collins.

It could be to signify that we had money that could then be spent on coordinators/staff changes.

It could be to signify that if we do make a change next year then we have money to be competitive then (because most fans should probably have an idea about the buyout situation if they wanted to at all)

Hell, it could be something as simple as the first step, or next step, in putting out feelers for future candidates.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I do think announcing the money exists but we won't be using it was intended to help shore up the recruiting class. We weren't ready, funding wise or planning wise, to make a clean break so we did what we needed to which was circle the wagons.

We are where we are folks. It costs more money to flush and redo but if we had known then what we know now (Choice leaving, which certainly didn't help our chances of bringing Gibbs back into the fold) things may have been different. That just isn't how the timing worked though and so we are here.

No use being reactionary and going off half cocked. One more season for CGC to find his way to success or we dump and rebuild with the foresight of knowing what's what this year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Since the fire Cgc is every where i thought this was a place to say

i was completly wrong about how bad our DT and DL recruiting would be with the hiring of coach knight.

Coach collins hired him as we were completing the staff. Knight had limited expierence.

IMO - dl was and is our biggest need and i thought this would be a less than successful.

Coach Knight has worked tirelessly at recruiting . He locked in on dt Lockett as a 9th grader. Locket who is now a 4 star is locked in to gt. We actually have a chance to be ok at dl by mid season. We have some guys that are maturing and Knight s dl recruits are the top part of this recruiting class

Got to win LOS. Knight is a keeper.
I agree with you except for the “by mid season”. May have an interim by mid season if we don’t come out of the gates swinging.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think announcing the money exists but we won't be using it was intended to help shore up the recruiting class. We weren't ready, funding wise or planning wise, to make a clean break so we did what we needed to which was circle the wagons.

We are where we are folks. It costs more money to flush and redo but if we had known then what we know now (Choice leaving, which certainly didn't help our chances of bringing Gibbs back into the fold) things may have been different. That just isn't how the timing worked though and so we are here.

No use being reactionary and going off half cocked. One more season for CGC to find his way to success or we dump and rebuild with the foresight of knowing what's what this year.
Agree with most of this. We will have a better financial position by mid season next year. Also that will give TS time to get the right coach. I think CGC not lowering his salary like Harbaugh or Frost, shows that he is not confident in succeeding next year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I do think announcing the money exists but we won't be using it was intended to help shore up the recruiting class.
Others have stated something similar, but announcing you have the resources to make a decision gives you the leverage. If you say you DON'T have the resources to make a change, there is no incentive at all for Collins to make changes to his staff or approach. But by announcing it (whether true or not), it changes the relative strength. Collins is now boxed in. He now has to get results and knows it and probably loses the ability to continue with the circus tricks.

I think what is more interesting is the locker room. Has Collins lost the locker room, the players? Or do they enthusiastically support the program and think they are "this close!". To me, that is the real unanswered question. It was only AFTER Butch Jones left Tennessee that the dysfunction among the players came out. Would be interesting to know.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Jacketup,

Don't care one bit about the UGA game, we had no shot at winning that game - didn't watch a single snap.

If the offense was the only thing in the program that was a mess, you might have a point, but it's not and you don't.

Finally, my posts hurt the program no more than yours did when PJ was coach.
You made an excellent point. I did a little bit of digging to back up what you said in your last line.

.... You people need to put your pitchforks down. YOU are damaging this program.

Please note the level of irony taking place here. I only did a very quick search. It didn't take long to dig these up, but I'm sure there were plenty more.

These posts are all from before CGC coaching here.

Fake news. How long was our bowl streak when we started running the option? How many years were we ranked under O'Leary running a multiple offense?
The program was not on an Oregon State level when we went to the option. Not even close. In fact, we have had more years not being bowl eligible in the 9 years running the option than we did in the nine and more prior years.
Typical CBS. Create a point then distort the facts to fit. Not a compliment to GT of any type.

Please note below the reference to preference of a previous coach.

George O'Leary had five consecutive years of finishing in the AP Top 25 poll. Johnson has had back to back AP final poll ranked teams only once--2008 -2009--his first two GT teams-- with Gailey's recruits.

The problem is recruiting. This offense gives an advantage of being unique, but that uniqueness is a disadvantage in recruiting. That, and the fact that the coaches who came with Johnson from Navy were not and are not good recruiters, and he won't replace them.

The talent delta between GT and Clemson--and going forward Georgie--cannot be overcome with better execution, despite Johnson's post game comments last night. The same was true for Miami, as we saw in the second half after they made adjustments.

And before we get the "O'Leary got unqualified kids into school" comment, flunkgate happened under Gailey due to Gailey's failure to monitor academics. George did not have any more problems keeping players in school than other coaches. Further, it is now easier to stay at GT than ever. GT brags about it's 97% retention rate--a far cry from the 50% when I was a freshman. We also have liberal arts majors that we didn't have 20 years ago

Your opinion has no basis in fact. The only coach to have a 3 win season --or anything close to it since the Lewis mess was cleaned up--is Johnson.

And again pitchfork in hand, damaging the program while bringing up past coaching.

Reading these comments makes me sick. So many Dave Braine disciples. So many people defending a staff that now has a 51% win rate against FBS opponents over 8 seasons. (2010-2017). So many people who think that is the best we can do.

We finished in the final AP Top 25 for 5 consecutive seasons from 1997-2001---yes, that includes seasons in this century (and we have more liberal arts majors now than we did then). If we can't do better than winning 51%--and as this thread reveals, a high percentage of so called Tech fans don't think we can--then just shut the program down. If the mission of the program is mediocrity, it should no longer have a place at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Fortunately, our AD is not a Dave Braine disciple. Can he overcome the seeming majority our fans who prefer Dave Braine's excuses to winning? That may be his biggest challenge.

Highlighting my favorite one. I think this is the bad juju that led to his boy Geoff's 3x3.

Your opinion has no basis in fact. The only coach to have a 3 win season --or anything close to it since the Lewis mess was cleaned up--is Johnson.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Others have stated something similar, but announcing you have the resources to make a decision gives you the leverage. If you say you DON'T have the resources to make a change, there is no incentive at all for Collins to make changes to his staff or approach. But by announcing it (whether true or not), it changes the relative strength. Collins is now boxed in. He now has to get results and knows it and probably loses the ability to continue with the circus tricks.

I think what is more interesting is the locker room. Has Collins lost the locker room, the players? Or do they enthusiastically support the program and think they are "this close!". To me, that is the real unanswered question. It was only AFTER Butch Jones left Tennessee that the dysfunction among the players came out. Would be interesting to know.
I think the portal is more familiar to players now than it was 3 or 4 years ago and if he has lost the locker room, since most of our team is sophomores and freshmen, I feel we would have a lot more leaving. Signing day is Wednesday and then Feb 2nd. It will be a loooooong month and half that's for sure. Never been begging for spring ball to start more than I am right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the portal is more familiar to players now than it was 3 or 4 years ago and if he has lost the locker room, since most of our team is sophomores and freshmen, I feel we would have a lot more leaving. Signing day is Wednesday and then Feb 2nd. It will be a loooooong month and half that's for sure. Never been begging for spring ball to start more than I am right now.
It's not unusual to see a small cadre of players enter the portal at the end of Spring practice and they learn their place in the pecking order. It may not hurt us this year, but some teams made lose good depth from their roster and have little time to fill the gaps.

If I understand the new rules, each team can bring in 25 new players via HS signings and transfers in, plus they get an additional transfer in for each transfer out up to seven. So, a team could sign 25 HS players and seven transfers if they had seven transfers out. But, they cannot go over 85 at some point. When is the deadline to be at 85?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

that's true, but you could stay silent also. you don't need to take a position unless you are trying to push an agenda. and if he needs leverage in conversations with CGC to get him to make certain changes, after three 3-win years, then that should tell you all you need to know.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
It's not unusual to see a small cadre of players enter the portal at the end of Spring practice and they learn their place in the pecking order. It may not hurt us this year, but some teams made lose good depth from their roster and have little time to fill the gaps.

If I understand the new rules, each team can bring in 25 new players via HS signings and transfers in, plus they get an additional transfer in for each transfer out up to seven. So, a team could sign 25 HS players and seven transfers if they had seven transfers out. But, they cannot go over 85 at some point. When is the deadline to be at 85?
I'd assume the first game, but this is the NCAA so who knows lol

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
that's true, but you could stay silent also. you don't need to take a position unless you are trying to push an agenda. and if he needs leverage in conversations with CGC to get him to make certain changes, after three 3-win years, then that should tell you all you need to know.
Why would he need "leverage" to make changes? Just tell Geoff we're going to fire x, y, and z, and bring in a, b, and c. What's he going to do about it? Quit? Well, bye.