Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TStan wanted to make a hire that was different due to our unique situation with academics, limited curriculum and transition from the 3O. Well he sure has put himself in a real dilemma with this hire. Is he astute enough to correct this mess he created? Unfortunately we won't know until next year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Irony: CGC came into GT pointing out the roster had too many RBs due to the Flex Option. Now CGC may end his time at GT not having enough RBs to fill out the RB room...and the best position coach on the staff, the RB coach is leaving.
You forgot “Leaving at a high level”!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
October 1, 2053

ATLANTA, Ga (AP wire) Something amazing has been happening over at the Georgia Institute of Technology. No, we don’t mean the breakthrough that was accomplished there a few years ago in cold fusion energy production. It’s football. A new coach has Tech winning for the first time in decades and Saturday’s win over Arkansas has old timers around the ATL retelling tales of glory years they heard from their grandparents while growing up. Some readers may not realize that Tech actually plays football, let alone that they were once good, but this recent success has people blowing the dust off of old archives to understand more about Tech football history.
It seems that Tech’s fall into football obscurity began with the hiring of one Geoffrey Collins, a name that sounds British but is in fact the name he grew up with in Conyers, Georgia. “Jeff,” as he liked to be called, had the misfortune of arriving at Tech as college football was escalating its capital demands and transitioning to a new style of semi-pro league play. Perhaps it was timing, perhaps he never had the temperament to be a head coach, or perhaps it was just dumb luck, coach Collins was the beginning of a long period of falling revenue, fan disinterest, dismal on field results and difficulty in recruiting both competent coaches or high caliber semi-pro athletes. The straw that broke the camels back and began the precipitous decline in Tech football coaching was in the fall of…..

This is my recurring nightmare. Feel free to talk me off the ledge. But be gentle, I’m about ready to jump.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
October 1, 2053

ATLANTA, Ga (AP wire) Something amazing has been happening over at the Georgia Institute of Technology. No, we don’t mean the breakthrough that was accomplished there a few years ago in cold fusion energy production. It’s football. A new coach has Tech winning for the first time in decades and Saturday’s win over Arkansas has old timers around the ATL retelling tales of glory years they heard from their grandparents while growing up. Some readers may not realize that Tech actually plays football, let alone that they were once good, but this recent success has people blowing the dust off of old archives to understand more about Tech football history.
It seems that Tech’s fall into football obscurity began with the hiring of one Geoffrey Collins, a name that sounds British but is in fact the name he grew up with in Conyers, Georgia. “Jeff,” as he liked to be called, had the misfortune of arriving at Tech as college football was escalating its capital demands and transitioning to a new style of semi-pro league play. Perhaps it was timing, perhaps he never had the temperament to be a head coach, or perhaps it was just dumb luck, coach Collins was the beginning of a long period of falling revenue, fan disinterest, dismal on field results and difficulty in recruiting both competent coaches or high caliber semi-pro athletes. The straw that broke the camels back and began the precipitous decline in Tech football coaching was in the fall of…..

This is my recurring nightmare. Feel free to talk me off the ledge. But be gentle, I’m about ready to jump.
You've been to the ledge before and you're still here so I'm sure, even though you were "ready to jump" then, you didn't. You're a Tech fan like myself so you live on the ledge. Make yourself comfortable like I have, it's far less stressful.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s just a matter of time. If anybody thinks Collins would still be employed if we had money like the big boys, they are delusional. He would be gone. It’s our poverty that has led us here and it’s our poverty which is keeping us here
TStan was offered the entire buyout by a donor and turned it down. That’s why the big donors have stated that TStan and Geoff’s fates are tied.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
TStan was offered the entire buyout by a donor and turned it down. That’s why the big donors have stated that TStan and Geoff’s fates are tied.
This is what really rubs me the wrong way if it is true. The donors are yelling at you to change course. Sure I bet they did that with Paul too but he had solid wins to back up keeping him, plus the bowl games. What is the motivation for keeping Collins right now if there was a chance to make a move? Do we have that little faith in the program? Todd has been drinking too much of Geoff's "Juice."

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
October 1, 2053

There is a good chance that many on this board won’t be here in 2053, so seeing that TStan finally got things turned around is some consolation.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I still want the anti-Collins crowd to explain how he is supposed to win with offensive line talent he has--if any of them know what an offensive line does. Due to the scheme change you have to give him five years. I wasn't pleased with the defensive coaching this year, but since he fired half the defensive staff I'll give him a chance there.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I still want the anti-Collins crowd to explain how he is supposed to win with offensive line talent he has--if any of them know what an offensive line does. Due to the scheme change you have to give him five years. I wasn't pleased with the defensive coaching this year, but since he fired half the defensive staff I'll give him a chance there.
You anti-CPJ crowd keep saying stuff like this. How about this: the offense was good enough this year to win more than 3. Collins doesn't get a pass for the rest of the team.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
ummm....by NOT sucking in all the other facets of the game they sucked at???? ....... including play calling, game clock management, special teams, defense, play calling, etc. This regime is an absolute farce and if you don't see that and want to blame 3 years of ineptitude on OL then you are only wearing rose colored glasses.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Matt Rhule may be available soon, if tech wants to buck up. He might actually want to keep Collins on the staff. :LOL:

Or, maybe we can get Corey Dennis as OC for his father-in-law HC who may looking for a new job soon (4 ints for TL:oops:)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
When I was saying at the beginning of the year that he is running out of runway and he really needs 5-6 wins to extend it, sadly this is what all I was talking about. I got a lot of push back about how he needs more time and you cant develop an OL and DL in such a short window. But his realistic time was 3 years (Just like any other place) to show real progress and he completely blew it with exclamation points in the final 2 losses

The amount of damage this hire has caused is huge and continues to get worse. He could have pulled it off. Now that Choice has gone, this hurts even more. Our only hope is he can hold the rest of this class together and the OC can be a real coach and actually coach the players up like our basketball coaches do. Can CGC actually help the defense? I doubt it.

If we ever want to be top 5 team in the country then yes it is all about recruiting.

But today to just be relevant
1. its ALL about coaching, coaching coaching!!!!!!!
2. Having a scheme or personality that gives us some kind of advantage
3. Being able to coach to that scheme.
4. Recruit to best fit said scheme what ever it is.

it is NOT about our recruiting class ranking. It makes me sad how many on here just dont get this.

I will support the team next year and hope CGC can learn from his HUGE mistakes.
I would add- if Tech can improve pass rush by 1 second and give Sims 1 extra second protection they would win 6 games or more.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Since the fire Cgc is every where i thought this was a place to say

i was completly wrong about how bad our DT and DL recruiting would be with the hiring of coach knight.

Coach collins hired him as we were completing the staff. Knight had limited expierence.

IMO - dl was and is our biggest need and i thought this would be a less than successful.

Coach Knight has worked tirelessly at recruiting . He locked in on dt Lockett as a 9th grader. Locket who is now a 4 star is locked in to gt. We actually have a chance to be ok at dl by mid season. We have some guys that are maturing and Knight s dl recruits are the top part of this recruiting class

Got to win LOS. Knight is a keeper.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
That is absolutely true. Look at this thread like a pressure relief valve. It lets people blow off steam here so some semi-sane conversations can be had elsewhere... :)
Except that doesn't happen.

EVERY THREAD is a fire CGC thread. Even the recruiting threads.

I am going to buy -itchaboutcollins.com and point it here.