Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm pissed that Gibbs is leaving, but is no one forgetting that Gibbs would have never come here if it were not for Collins himself ?
So those saying fire Collins still, name another coach that could get us these recruits.
I'm more upset at Collins for not retaining the talent be got, but not upset that he got the talent here

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pissed that Gibbs is leaving, but is no one forgetting that Gibbs would have never come here if it were not for Collins himself ?
So those saying fire Collins still, name another coach that could get us these recruits.
I'm more upset at Collins for not retaining the talent be got, but not upset that he got the talent here
I get that, but who cares if all you do is lose games.

I’d rather have 3 stars and win than 4 stars who lose.

Ideally we get a coach who can recruit and coach. Geoff has only shown the ability to do one of those, which doesn’t win you many games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Losing Gibbs is not going to change the status quo with the GTAA or Collins. But it might with enough of the players to cause a reassessment if a bunch enter the portal.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just asking didn't CTC have as most to do with it

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Losing Gibbs is not going to change the status quo with the GTAA or Collins. But it might with enough of the players to cause a reassessment if a bunch enter the portal.

So if you are a remaining good player and see Gibbs leave, I've got to think you're thinking about leaving. What is the straw that breaks the used car salesman's back? Sims? Charlie Thomas? Trying to think of someone else who would be a big enough name to have some pull if they left? Is it just numbers? 10 players leave? 15? 10 decommitments? 15? What is the point where Stansbury says we can't go one more day with this guy as our head coach?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So if you are a remaining good player and see Gibbs leave, I've got to think you're thinking about leaving. What is the straw that breaks the used car salesman's back? Sims? Charlie Thomas? Trying to think of someone else who would be a big enough name to have some pull if they left? Is it just numbers? 10 players leave? 15? 10 decommitments? 15? What is the point where Stansbury says we can't go one more day with this guy as our head coach?
These kids are individuals and can think for themselves, that's why they were able to get in to Tech. Are they gonna leave their girlfriend and transfer states away just because a friend of theirs on the team left?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
These kids are individuals and can think for themselves, that's why they were able to get in to Tech. Are they gonna leave their girlfriend and transfer states away just because a friend of theirs on the team left?

Agreed, but do you want to be the last one on the Titanic before it goes down? I know all situations are different, but if the best players are leaving, and that hasn't happened beyond Gibbs yet, but if it does, that would lead to a major talent drain.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, but do you want to be the last one on the Titanic before it goes down? I know all situations are different, but if the best players are leaving, and that hasn't happened beyond Gibbs yet, but if it does, that would lead to a major talent drain.

But maybe we turn into Kansas State and become the landing place for guys in the transfer portal. Although that hasn't worked out too well for us yet.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Getting a recruit to commit to your school involves making some promises about what the program can do for them. Either those promises get fulfilled or they don’t.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thing is, recruiting is Collins' one asset he brings to the table. If his top recruits transfer out and recruiting dries up due to his coaching ineptitude, there's no longer any reason for him being here.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
Temple is open again. Maybe some of the coaches that lost their jobs can take over there. Or CGC go back there.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Temple is open again. Maybe some of the coaches that lost their jobs can take over there. Or CGC go back there.

Temple got two buyouts, one when we hired Collins and one when Miami hired Diaz. They could use that money very wisely to rehire Collins. They clearly need a culture change after a 3-9 season and I know just the guy to give it to them.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Jamey Chadwell please!!! For the love of God don’t let the Hokies get him.
He'd be about my #1 realistic option right now. Injuries this year may have dropped his value just enough for us to snag him before someone else does. Pretty sure we're stuck with Collins for another terrible year though.

Pisses me off TStan had the chance to distance himself from Collins. I think he's a good AD who made a bad hire.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Just thought about this little nugget. Geoff Collins has a .500 record against ACC coaches hired in 2019 or 2020

1-0 vs. Scott Satterfield
1-0 vs. Mike Norvell
1-1 vs. Mack Brown
1-1 vs. Manny Diaz
0-2 vs. Jeff Hafley
4-3 overall

So as bad as it is now it could still be a lot worse. I still don’t think were very many real candidates who could’ve took over in 2019 and done a whole helluva lot better in years 1 and 2, but I do think there were a few that would’ve won more than 3 games this year.