Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

slugboy

Staff member
I just hope we can NIU’s coach off the home page at some point… 2 of our worst losses recently have been paraded on the home page for nearly 2 full years now
It seemed like posting a new article was bad luck. After NIU, we left it up, and we beat KSU, played well against Clemson, then won UNC.
It was time to post a new one after Pitt to get the stink of that game off.
If someone wants to write up a Wisconsin basketball preview, I think it’d go over well

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I wrote something along those lines earlier in the week regarding Dan Mullen. With respect to what you wrote, if there's an equivalent coach out there willing to come to GT (Napier, Monken, etc.) that's proven he can build a program and win, and if TStan doesn't at least explore it, that's just a dereliction of duty. IF what he said regarding high level donors willing to step up and buy CGC out is true, then all bets are off the table. I think there's an understanding that if GT can do better than CGC this offseason, there are people willing to eat the contract this year as opposed waiting for next season for the buyout decrease. That's a pretty important detail as we've been under the assumption that GT has its hands tied because of CGC's contract.

However, I don't think GT will make a move unless we know for certain we have a really good replacement in line. I don't think GT wants to take on an more expensive buyout a year early AND go through a protracted coaching search as a LOT of coaching dominos are falling with a lot of big jobs already open.

Either way, this offseason will be interesting as the complexion of our staff is most certainly changing. Whether it's just assistants and coordinators, or the entire coaching staff...we're going to find out.
A good rule of thumb is to not fire a HC unless you’ve got a clear path to an improvement. On the one hand, you would hope our AD has a plan already and has determined we are better off standing pat, or on the other hand, would anyone not be an upgrade ? I’m in the latter camp but not having a plan would be the worst outcome

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I wrote something along those lines earlier in the week regarding Dan Mullen. With respect to what you wrote, if there's an equivalent coach out there willing to come to GT (Napier, Monken, etc.) that's proven he can build a program and win, and if TStan doesn't at least explore it, that's just a dereliction of duty. IF what he said regarding high level donors willing to step up and buy CGC out is true, then all bets are off the table. I think there's an understanding that if GT can do better than CGC this offseason, there are people willing to eat the contract this year as opposed waiting for next season for the buyout decrease. That's a pretty important detail as we've been under the assumption that GT has its hands tied because of CGC's contract.

However, I don't think GT will make a move unless we know for certain we have a really good replacement in line. I don't think GT wants to take on an more expensive buyout a year early AND go through a protracted coaching search as a LOT of coaching dominos are falling with a lot of big jobs already open.

Either way, this offseason will be interesting as the complexion of our staff is most certainly changing. Whether it's just assistants and coordinators, or the entire coaching staff...we're going to find out.
A good rule of thumb is to not fire a HC unless you’ve got a clear path to an improvement. On the one hand, you would hope our AD has a plan already and has determined we are better off standing p, or on the other hand, would anyone not be an upgrade ? I’m in the latter camp but not having a plan would be the worst outcome
Skip Holtz has entered the "transfer portal"................give him a shot ?
yeah that’s not even a hard pass.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It seemed like posting a new article was bad luck. After NIU, we left it up, and we beat KSU, played well against Clemson, then won UNC.
It was time to post a new one after Pitt to get the stink of that game off.
If someone wants to write up a Wisconsin basketball preview, I think it’d go over well
On a serious note I don’t expect anyone who’s not getting paid to do so to write a preview/recap article for every game. But it is always a little disheartening to see Dino and whatever NIU’s coach’s name is on the front page of the site everyday. Is there a way to just link a ramblinwreck article or have some other form of media other than a native article in that spot on the site? I think posting the basketball team’s ACC championship photo there would be a good start. That way we can actually back up our recently discovered basketball school status.

DuluthJacket83

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember being a little excited at the announcement of Collins' hiring. Someone who actually wanted to coach at Tech, someone who thought this was a dream job. I even liked all of the Tech-tied assistants, while quietly acknowledging that the pedigrees may be lacking. I was excited that someone (CGC) with what seemed to be a defensive pedigree and mindset might come in and straighten out our perennially lacking defense. After 3 years, obviously that set of optimism was misplaced, maybe misplaced in time. I certainly want CGC to succeed (why would we want something else?), and hope that happens next year. Head coaching changes are historically negatively impactful for us (except CPJ), so here's to hoping for a wake up call. I was also hoping the conversations here on HC changes would die off after the TStan announcement, but that was misplaced as well. Regardless, I will be at BDS tomorrow rooting for the good guys, with no real expectations of seeing anything remarkable, but hoping for the best. All of the negativity and vitriol here is exhausting.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he'd survive here. He quit at Florida because it wasn't easy going for him anymore. He probably would have survived the OSU scandal if he hadn't lost two games each of the previous two years and lost to Purdue his last year. The fact there's rampant speculation he will quit the Jags job kind of shows I'm not the only person who feels that way. He'd go 7-5 his first year, realize he can't out talent the league, and quit imo. GT is a job for coaches that are built different.

The ACC is so bad that I think Urban could have flirted with ten wins this season here. He wouldn’t stay long, but he’s give us two or three good seasons to change our perception and maybe give us a coordinator to promote to replace him.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
IF the donors actually offered the money to fire him like KS suggests….I still think there is a chance Collins is canned Monday if we have another 73-7 type game against the mutts.
I agree, but I believe that is another reason, along with keeping people healthy, that KS will not run the score up like that.

After what has been demonstrated, why would any gagger want to see Collins gone?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but I believe that is another reason, along with keeping people healthy, that KS will not run the score up like that.

After what has been demonstrated, why would any gagger want to see Collins gone?
In a week, UGAG is playing Alabama for the SEC Championship. No way Kirby tries anything stupid against Tech. There is zero up side. Run the score up to 35-0 by the half and then, put in the scrubs. Easy game.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I understand your point, but I am not sure Kirby Smart(or any head coach) is going to be thinking like that. They are just going to play to win. I do think they may pull guys earlier than usual to be healthy for Bama.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Update on coaching hot seat.
Collins moved from #6 before the 2021 season to #5 now.......with a bullet !!
Just one guy's opinion in the article, but there is really no way to put a smiley face on the situation right now.
Collins has earned that. I honestly expected 4, maybe 5 wins this year. What I didn’t expect was losing to NIU and our defense being as terrible as it is. I expected to beat NIU, Duke, KSU, and one or two of UNC, BC, Pitt, VT, UVA, or Miami. I would have been less concerned about winning only 4 or 5 if I had seen what I felt to be significant signs of improvement. Were there a few areas we got better? Sure. But let’s not quibble. This team did not show any big signs of improvement and several clear areas of weakness and I hope those get addressed very soon. If they don’t, or if they do and those changes aren’t PLAINLY effective then that #5 hot seat rating will move into the “scorching” category.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but I am not sure Kirby Smart(or any head coach) is going to be thinking like that. They are just going to play to win. I do think they may pull guys earlier than usual to be healthy for Bama.
Yeah people keep saying this like it matters, but it really couldn’t be more irrelevant. Kirby doesn’t care who coaches at GT. No matter who it is they won’t make a significant dent in his recruiting, and unless we hire an absolute home run we won’t beat them any more occasionally. If anything I think Kirby would rather GT have to fire/hire as many coaches as possible because it makes our program much less stable, and probably just increases their stronghold on the state. He and their fans have already been bragging about Kirby outlasting Pruitt at UT, Mullen at UF, and Muschamp at USCe. Geoff would just be another name on that list.

If anybody actually could impact Kirby’s recruiting in the state it would probably be Collins, if CGC can ever put a quality product on the field. Barring that happening Kirby would just assume we fire a new coach every year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Collins has earned that. I honestly expected 4, maybe 5 wins this year. What I didn’t expect was losing to NIU and our defense being as terrible as it is. I expected to beat NIU, Duke, KSU, and one or two of UNC, BC, Pitt, VT, UVA, or Miami. I would have been less concerned about winning only 4 or 5 if I had seen what I felt to be significant signs of improvement. Were there a few areas we got better? Sure. But let’s not quibble. This team did not show any big signs of improvement and several clear areas of weakness and I hope those get addressed very soon. If they don’t, or if they do and those changes aren’t PLAINLY effective then that #5 hot seat rating will move into the “scorching” category.

This. To expand on your point, I was expecting an offense that moved some but stalled, as well as continued OL growing pains. The fact that Sims got hurt early didn't help at all.

What I wasn't expecting is for a defense not undergoing the most historic transition ever to go from burn barrel to raging three alarm dumpster fire, especially with a DC for a HC.

My hope is that the offense turns the corner next year. With a new DC and extra focus on that side of the ball, defensive turnarounds can happen a lot quicker.