Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what I've never understood about Tech's recent AD's. In basketball, a terrible contract extension was given to CPH over fear of losing him. Then, after CPH's firing and worried that 'nobody' was going to be left to chose from, they grab CBG.
So after CPJ departs the football program, the fear of not being able to find somebody to lead the team/recruit causes our current AD to throw a seven year contract at a guy with two years of head 'coaching' experience.
When a mistake could set Tech back five years or more, why the rush to gamble?
I've always said, if the perfect fit with a proven big name coach is not there, why not go after somebody in a smaller program with outstanding success? You can sign him for two or three years for less money and if doesn't work out, you move on.
I heard TStan this past Friday on 680AM reciting (again) about the huge transformation and how 'we didn't even have a tight end on the roster three years ago.' I am beyond done listening to this.
Collins’ coaching is bad. His contract isn’t. $3m/year is peanuts for P5 coaches (57th out of 62). His buyout has a big step down after year 4. The 7-year guarantee is optics more than anything. Yes, the contract makes it expensive to fire a coach before 4 years, but that’s a good thing. You don’t want to fire head coaches inside of 4 years and this contract reflects that. After year 4, fire away if necessary, the buyout is manageable.

As an FYI, Liberty University which will be joining Conf USA (a non-P5 conference) in 2023 just extended Hugh Freeze for 6 years at $4m/year. People need to recalibrate their perception of college coaching contracts.

Jmonty71

Banned
This is what I've never understood about Tech's recent AD's. In basketball, a terrible contract extension was given to CPH over fear of losing him. Then, after CPH's firing and worried that 'nobody' was going to be left to chose from, they grab CBG.
So after CPJ departs the football program, the fear of not being able to find somebody to lead the team/recruit causes our current AD to throw a seven year contract at a guy with two years of head 'coaching' experience.
When a mistake could set Tech back five years or more, why the rush to gamble?
I've always said, if the perfect fit with a proven big name coach is not there, why not go after somebody in a smaller program with outstanding success? You can sign him for two or three years for less money and if doesn't work out, you move on.
I heard TStan this past Friday on 680AM reciting (again) about the huge transformation and how 'we didn't even have a tight end on the roster three years ago.' I am beyond done listening to this.
Since my last post was removed... Obviously, truth hurts.. As long as we have a coach that cannot take responsibility, why should the players? When people use narratives and talking points, versus saying hey we screwed up.... The realization of what needs fixed doesn't come to mind... Is that better or will I be censored again????

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, I warned two posters this morning for aiming their frustration at people rather than problems. No matter how much you disagree with a post, you cannot refer to the poster as stupid (or worse). And, no matter how wretched their performance, our coaches are not frauds. At least not on GTSwarm.

I assume all of you are intelligent enough to state your opinion gracefully. This thread has already seen just about every possible opinion about Coach Collins. Let's keep it clean or don't post here.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m praying he doesn’t! Well, it would sure as hell be a 100% disaster to the team, program & fans with reality our best player departing from his embattled head coach…

just go ahead and openly root for it because you think it helps hasten cgc's departure. you and a few others here go ahead and get your pompoms out, and post about it maybe 15 or 20 times a day. go in his twitter, and ask him about it too, many times a day.

might as well go all in.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys, I warned two posters this morning for aiming their frustration at people rather than problems. No matter how much you disagree with a post, you cannot refer to the poster as stupid (or worse). And, no matter how wretched their performance, our coaches are not frauds. At least not on GTSwarm.

I assume all of you are intelligent enough to state you opinion gracefully. This thread has already seen just about every possible opinion about Coach Collins. Let's keep it clean or don't post here.

apologies for calling a guy stupid. "fans" are openly rooting for our team to fail while the season is in progress, then rooting for our best players to leave the program, and any other number of calamities to befall us.

that's after 235 pages of character assassination, clothing comments, and on and on.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
just go ahead and openly root for it because you think it helps hasten cgc's departure. you and a few others here go ahead and get your pompoms out, and post about it maybe 15 or 20 times a day. go in his twitter, and ask him about it too, many times a day.

might as well go all in.
Not the case at all. First and only time that I have asked. I just want the CGC’s supporters to go on record as to what they will think if our best player walks away? Will it be the same things that those of us who believe it is time to engineer a HC change?

slugboy

Staff member
Collins’ coaching is bad. His contract isn’t. $3m/year is peanuts for P5 coaches (57th out of 62). His buyout has a big step down after year 4. The 7-year guarantee is optics more than anything. Yes, the contract makes it expensive to fire a coach before 4 years, but that’s a good thing. You don’t want to fire head coaches inside of 4 years and this contract reflects that. After year 4, fire away if necessary, the buyout is manageable.

As an FYI, Liberty University which will be joining Conf USA (a non-P5 conference) in 2023 just extended Hugh Freeze for 6 years at $4m/year. People need to recalibrate their perception of college coaching contracts.

Agree. Virtually any coach in P5 was going to get 3 years where it was hard to fire them. That’s true here or at other P5 schools. Collins got 4 because of the “pro style” transition. Everything else is window dressing.

If you’re keyed up about “7 years”, then know almost every other P5 coach hired at the same time got 6 years.**

It makes sense to be mad we’re losing, and losing more than we should, and not making progress like we should. It makes sense to be mad we didn’t do a course correction with some of the assistants last year; we could see something was off, but it was hard to tell how much was COVID hitting us harder because we were a younger team. But wanting us to sign a more AA-friendly contract than the average when we had a bigger shift on the OL than others isn’t realistic.

**6 years isn't really "6 years", but it's a scheduled contract if the first 3 or so years go well. Just like 7 years is really 4 years. It's like "newspeak"

Last edited:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
It makes sense to be mad we’re losing, and losing more than we should, and not making progress like we should. It makes sense to be mad we didn’t do a course correction with some of the assistants last year; we could see something was off, but it was hard to tell how much was COVID hitting us harder because we were a younger team.

Are we really that young? Seeing we are honoring 24 players on senior day seems about normal.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech, yes the Georgia Tech that claims to play big boy football, the Georgia Tech that has 4 national championships, the Georgia Tech that used to fill the stadium and be a force in the collegiate world.... this same Georgia Tech can't pay a head coach more than Liberty. (smdh)

And people wonder why we don't even make a blip on the radar of major college football anymore. We are a joke to most UGA fans. We have fallen so far, and so many GT Alumni, administration and partners are blind to that reality.

We need a complete change, we need to increase student attendance drastically, we need to expand our majors and double down on our core engineering. If you are a female or a minority I want Georgia Tech to be the place you go to advance. We need to sell just how good our Institute is, and we need our students to fall in love with Tech. We need to create partnerships with local football teams, we need Alumni buy in, and we need to show them how their money is being used to further the mission of Tech. Lastly we have to put a product on the field that is winsome to people.

And then after about a decade, we will have strengthened our foundations and would be back. As of now, we are an old house, with rotten bones.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Even I (who have disliked Collins since the NIU game this year) have tired of the vitriol in this thread. I doubt that will change after the beatdown against UGa.

His comments in his latest press conference reflect an improved public attitude, which helps (tome, at least). He sounded like a coach who knew he had one more year to make this right. He sounded like a coach who cared.

I expect there will be changes in staff in the off-season.

If there are none, then I will be back to being highly disappointed in TStan. If there are, I will feel that we have handled this situation about as well as we could with the financial constraints we have and the contract we are obligated to fulfill. Besides, new coordinators might well bring new hope.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We need a complete change, we need to increase student attendance drastically, we need to expand our majors and double down on our core engineering. If you are a female or a minority I want Georgia Tech to be the place you go to advance.
iirc, we at one point in the past proposed combining with Georgia State, but the Board of Regents would not allow it. That would have accomplished all that you described. You can look at that in two ways. (1) they did not want to water down GT's academic reputation that attracts 50% grad students from out of the country at high rates of tuition ($$$), and/or (2) they did not want to create real competition within the state for UGa football (since the BOR is dominated by UGa grads).

This is why so many of us have said we need to find a different way to win.

Jmonty71

Banned

I assume all of you are intelligent enough to state you opinion gracefully. This thread has already seen just about every possible opinion about Coach Collins. Let's keep it clean or don't post here.
I call things as they are and don't hold back. Could I use better words?? More than likely. However; that being said. Sometimes a duck is a duck.... If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, it is, in fact, a duck. We have a duck as a HC...a lame duck....

slugboy

Staff member
Liberty University somehow able to pay their HC over $4MM annually in new contract…
Liberty University is
- A private university, and as long as they stay within the law, have much greater freedom in how they spend their money than we do
- Has a $1.6 billion dollar endowment, and they can apply that to sports if they want to (we can't use our University endowment in that way--we have to stick to AA funds)
- That endowment isn't as large as ours, but it's dang big for a G5 school

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I pointed that out in the OP saying besides 2 outlier seasons he was Historically an average Coach for Tech and on par with Chan Gailey.

No average GT coach has taken us to the heights CPJ did. That's the flaw in your logic. If you have to exclude the best and worst to make a point, the point is not really valid to begin with.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some of y’all take message boards way too seriously. Who cares if the same opinion has been typed hundreds of times. That is what message boards are for. And y’all getting mad because you perceive a fan is rooting for or against a certain team? Here’s a reality check - rooting does nothing to affect the game. Soler didn’t that home run because I was on my couch rooting for him. And he sure didn’t hit it because 45,000 Astros fans were screaming at him. He hit because he prepared and executed. The outcome for GT football depends on preparation (and all that entails from recruiting, to practice, to selecting the 11 to play) and execution. I could care less if any individual roots for or against GT. It doesn’t affect a thing. It may affect my mood if I’m sitting next to them in the stadium, but that’s a me problem. I’ve been rooting for UGA to lose every game for decades to little effect.

All this angst goes away if our program simply prepares and executes. And that’s whether we win or lose. We are all disgusted because we do not look like a team that enters the stadium prepared and we all see the execution during those 5 seconds of play. That’s why we are all salty.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am puzzled by the number of Seniors mentioned above. Our roster on ramblinwreck.com lists these guys as Seniors. Who are they missing? Or, did I miss them?

Djimon Brooks - DL
Kyric McGowan - WR
Tariq Carpenter - DB
Azende Rey - WR
Antonneous Clayton - DL
Bruce Jordan-Swilling - RB
Joseph Macrina - TE
Thomas Culwell - DB
Brent Cimaglia - PK
Kenny Cooper - OL
Ryan Johnson - OL
Kenneth Kirby - OL
Devin Cochran - OL
I saw a headline that mentioned that some are leaving early and being honored on senior day.

However, the entire NCAA is being kind of quirky in how they label people this year. Because of the COVID non-year in 2020, people who have been in college for 5 years are being listed as redshirt juniors. Not just at GT, but all around the NCAA the number of freshmen and sophomores includes people who started practicing with the team in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.