Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sure, I will clarify.

This is based on a belief I have that Monken will deliver more consistent results running the option than "any coach" running a more traditional system. For example, I believe with every fiber of my being that Monken, at Georgia Tech, would have beaten Northern Illinois this year 60-14. "Any coach" lost that game 22-21. If the defense is at all competent, lesser opponents basically stand far less chance of pulling the upset because they aren't used to seeing the offense all the time.

On top of that, I think Monken is one of the best coaches in college football. You should want one of the best coaches in college football. What he's done at Army is pretty amazing. I think he would be easy to hire. Throw realistic names out there for Georgia Tech to replace Geoff Collins (or instead of Geoff Collins in the first place), and make a case for them against Jeff Monken. Head to head, Monken is hard to argue against because he's a really good football coach with all the results in the world to back it up. I think he will end up being a hall of fame coach. I really do.

Jeff Monken is 94-58 as head coach at Georgia Southern and Army.... Geoff Collins 24-34 as a head coach. I mean.... Come on. The dude was 15-10 at Temple. He's NEVER had double digit wins as a coach. Monken has 6 double digit win campaigns. There is absolutely no reasonable case to be made that Geoff Collins was more qualified, more accomplished, or any of that over Jeff Monken in the first place.

Someone else said they don't want to "pad" the resume with 4 easy wins.... I really wouldn't characterize it that way. Your non-conference should be teams from the MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, American, Mountain West, etc. Those are respectable football teams in many cases, but ones that Georgia Tech should win. And I've got news for you, when other "power teams" schedule Georgia Tech they view it as playing a P5 team that they shouldn't lose to. Notre Dame wasn't real worried about scheduling Georgia Tech... Neither is Georgia... Etc. Those things are not to Georgia Tech's advantage at this time.

Geoff Collins was a bad hire from the start... he's not qualified to be the coach at Georgia Tech. He's 9-24 here. He's never won two consecutive games at Georgia Tech. Seriously. Never won two games in a row.

I think Monken is the best hire Georgia Tech can reasonably make..... for some non-Monken options, I would look at:

Bill Clark at UAB
Dana Holgerson at Houston (who has baggage because he's an *******)
Mike Houston at ECU

That's who I would interview, along with Jeff Monken, if I were the Athletic Director.
I'm glad to see another Monken fan. This guy can win 10 games at Army? Scare the ever-loving beejabbers out of Oklahoma and Michigan? At Army? Whose QB this time next year will be an infantry officer?

We part ways on him coming to Georgia Tech. That will never happen. That's how far things have fallen: Army is the better job.

slugboy

Staff member
Point me to the orange bowls and 11 win seasons Chan had. Chan was nice and steady, overall a good coach, but not a great coach. CPJ had a lower floor, but a higher ceiling, and will be in the college football hall of fame as a coach.
Agreed. He did get us into an ACC Championship game, but I’ll never forget the quote “I’ve never seen so much wasted talent since Jennifer Connelly was in ‘The Hulk’”.

However, I’d gladly take an “Idaho Frozen Spuds Bowl” right now.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Who said that?

I said we have no need to know what goes on in the locker room, and that our "need" for the players to show a "proper level of contrition" after a loss is a projection on our part. You should reread the posts you are referring to before making bad assumptions...
Admittedly got 20 pages behind and did some serious speed reading.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Cliffs:
48% - we should fire Collins now, money be damned
48% - we should fire Collins now but can’t afford to do so
4% - it’s Paul Johnson’s fault that we lost to NIU in Collins’ third year
Wait, so no one in this thread is defending Collins?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. The biggest problem is, who is going to be willing to come here with Collins' head on a chopping block?
Any coordinators, coaches, or staff are looking at a one year job at best. Unless it I similar to O’Leary during the Lewis debacle. My prediction, if not fired this year, he will not make it past game four next year. Then the new coordinators get to be interim HC’s. Why not save the trouble?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Sure, I will clarify.

This is based on a belief I have that Monken will deliver more consistent results running the option than "any coach" running a more traditional system. For example, I believe with every fiber of my being that Monken, at Georgia Tech, would have beaten Northern Illinois this year 60-14. "Any coach" lost that game 22-21. If the defense is at all competent, lesser opponents basically stand far less chance of pulling the upset because they aren't used to seeing the offense all the time.

On top of that, I think Monken is one of the best coaches in college football. You should want one of the best coaches in college football. What he's done at Army is pretty amazing. I think he would be easy to hire. Throw realistic names out there for Georgia Tech to replace Geoff Collins (or instead of Geoff Collins in the first place), and make a case for them against Jeff Monken. Head to head, Monken is hard to argue against because he's a really good football coach with all the results in the world to back it up. I think he will end up being a hall of fame coach. I really do.

Jeff Monken is 94-58 as head coach at Georgia Southern and Army.... Geoff Collins 24-34 as a head coach. I mean.... Come on. The dude was 15-10 at Temple. He's NEVER had double digit wins as a coach. Monken has 6 double digit win campaigns. There is absolutely no reasonable case to be made that Geoff Collins was more qualified, more accomplished, or any of that over Jeff Monken in the first place.

Someone else said they don't want to "pad" the resume with 4 easy wins.... I really wouldn't characterize it that way. Your non-conference should be teams from the MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, American, Mountain West, etc. Those are respectable football teams in many cases, but ones that Georgia Tech should win. And I've got news for you, when other "power teams" schedule Georgia Tech they view it as playing a P5 team that they shouldn't lose to. Notre Dame wasn't real worried about scheduling Georgia Tech... Neither is Georgia... Etc. Those things are not to Georgia Tech's advantage at this time.

Geoff Collins was a bad hire from the start... he's not qualified to be the coach at Georgia Tech. He's 9-24 here. He's never won two consecutive games at Georgia Tech. Seriously. Never won two games in a row.

I think Monken is the best hire Georgia Tech can reasonably make..... for some non-Monken options, I would look at:

Bill Clark at UAB
Mike Houston at ECU

That's who I would interview, along with Jeff Monken, if I were the Athletic Director.
I will only comment that I'm really, really glad to see some momentum for Johnny Vaught (9 patsies and Alabama) scheduling at Tech. It's about time that we started to schedule to win instead of to lose. I know many here would love to play a tough OOC slate for ranking purposes. I've never understood that. Schedule teams you have a good chance to beat. 10 years from now nobody will care who you beat to go 8 - 4.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, I will clarify.

Bill Clark at UAB
Mike Houston at ECU

I can't get past your first paragraph, because the premise you present is the one I am challenging as inaccurate.

Is Geoff Collins really "any coach"? As I read that comment in context with your NIU conclusion, I can only interpret that to mean that you are projecting Geoff Collins as an average P5 head coach with no differentiating qualities. Is that accurate? I suspect you along with 90%+ of the posters here would disagree with that.

How would you categorize Chan Gailey? He strikes me as "any coach" vanilla as it gets and he had the same record and same ACCCG appearance rate at Georgia Tech as CPJ, without the NIU, Citadel, MTSU, Kansas, etc. equivalent result that you cite as proof of Monken.

While I think Monken is a really good coach too, I also agree with your conclusion that there are other viable choices. Georgia Tech can and should expect to beat your proposed non-conference slate of Georgia State, Bowling Green, Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech. Then going .500 in the ACC has been proven reasonable across every prior coach at Georgia Tech regardless of scheme.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Someone else said they don't want to "pad" the resume with 4 easy wins.... I really wouldn't characterize it that way. Your non-conference should be teams from the MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, American, Mountain West, etc.
How many times are you going to make this point. It sucks, and it will absolutely solve nothing. Going 8-4 against 4 sh*tty G5 teams and 8 sh*tty ACC teams will accomplish nothing. It won’t help attendance, it won’t help perception, and it won’t help GT become a premier program. Look at Wake Forest. They’ve played an embarrassingly soft schedule for a P5 team and have gotten no respect for it. They’re 9-2 and got left off multiple AP voter’s ballots. If they go 9-3 they will end the season unranked, or even if they go 10-2 and lose to Pitt in the ACCCG they will likely be ranked very low. If they played that schedule year over year the level of respect to them would drop even lower.

Nobody wants to watch Bowing Green, Toledo, Tulsa, and San Jose State in Bobby Dodd Stadium every year. If we resort to playing that schedule we’ll lose the already very small fanbase we do have

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any coordinators, coaches, or staff are looking at a one year job at best. Unless it I similar to O’Leary during the Lewis debacle. My prediction, if not fired this year, he will not make it past game four next year. Then the new coordinators get to be interim HC’s. Why not save the trouble?

I expect CGC to be here all next season - regardless of the wins/losses. If they fire him before the beginning of his 5th calendar year they have to pay him the full contract. If he starts as coach next season he will finish as coach next season - and likely wouldn't be fired until mid-Decemer unless TStan and Collins agent could work something out before then.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Then you’d be okay with Tech dropping down to the Sun Belt or FCS level?
Sure, right after the whole SEC West does so. Have you seen the cupcakes they use to fill out their non-conference schedules?

Alabama: Mercer (FCS), So. Miss (2-9 in Conf USA), New Mexico State (Independent, 1-10), Miami
Arkansas: Rice (Conf USA, 3-8), Texas, GA Southern (Sunbelt, 3-8), Ark-Pine Bluff (FCS)
Auburn: Akron (MAC, 2-9), Alabama St (FCS), Penn St, Georgia St (Sun Belt, 6-5)
LSU: UCLA, McNees St (FCS), Cent. Michigan (MAC, 7-4), LA-Monroe (Sun Belt, 4-7)
Mississippi: Louisville, Austin Peay (FCS), Tulane (AAC, 2-9), Liberty (Independent, 7-4)
Miss St: LA Tech (Conf USA, 3-8), NC State, Memphis (AAC, 5-6), Tenn St (FCS)
Texas A&M: Kent St (MAC, 6-5), Colorado, New Mexico (MWC, 3-8), Prairie View (FCS)

Evey single one of them plays a single P5 OOC—none of them nearly as tough as our match-up with (u)GA every year—two weak G5 teams, and one FCS team. By your reckoning, I guess, the SEC West has already dropped down to the FCS level...?