Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This is what is happening defense ( ball is snapped then where do I go now? ) ( have you seen anybody yet? ) ( coaches say did I tell'em to do what) Place kickers (whose land is this) the trainers (were we supposed to train em) fans (wait ah minute- no just a second)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sure, I will clarify.

This is based on a belief I have that Monken will deliver more consistent results running the option than "any coach" running a more traditional system. For example, I believe with every fiber of my being that Monken, at Georgia Tech, would have beaten Northern Illinois this year 60-14. "Any coach" lost that game 22-21. If the defense is at all competent, lesser opponents basically stand far less chance of pulling the upset because they aren't used to seeing the offense all the time.

On top of that, I think Monken is one of the best coaches in college football. You should want one of the best coaches in college football. What he's done at Army is pretty amazing. I think he would be easy to hire. Throw realistic names out there for Georgia Tech to replace Geoff Collins (or instead of Geoff Collins in the first place), and make a case for them against Jeff Monken. Head to head, Monken is hard to argue against because he's a really good football coach with all the results in the world to back it up. I think he will end up being a hall of fame coach. I really do.

Jeff Monken is 94-58 as head coach at Georgia Southern and Army.... Geoff Collins 24-34 as a head coach. I mean.... Come on. The dude was 15-10 at Temple. He's NEVER had double digit wins as a coach. Monken has 6 double digit win campaigns. There is absolutely no reasonable case to be made that Geoff Collins was more qualified, more accomplished, or any of that over Jeff Monken in the first place.

Someone else said they don't want to "pad" the resume with 4 easy wins.... I really wouldn't characterize it that way. Your non-conference should be teams from the MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, American, Mountain West, etc. Those are respectable football teams in many cases, but ones that Georgia Tech should win. And I've got news for you, when other "power teams" schedule Georgia Tech they view it as playing a P5 team that they shouldn't lose to. Notre Dame wasn't real worried about scheduling Georgia Tech... Neither is Georgia... Etc. Those things are not to Georgia Tech's advantage at this time.

Geoff Collins was a bad hire from the start... he's not qualified to be the coach at Georgia Tech. He's 9-24 here. He's never won two consecutive games at Georgia Tech. Seriously. Never won two games in a row.

I think Monken is the best hire Georgia Tech can reasonably make..... for some non-Monken options, I would look at:

Bill Clark at UAB
Dana Holgerson at Houston (who has baggage because he's an *******)
Mike Houston at ECU

That's who I would interview, along with Jeff Monken, if I were the Athletic Director.
Man, I agree with you about Monken. I can't imagine what else a guy has to do to put himself in the category of "proven" coaches. He's the real deal all the way.

But we can't have him because the big money says no. :(

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11673Is it just me or does he look like a badass HC?
Heisman was good at media relations too. Newspapers all over the country ran photos of him holding a short mega phone through which he would yell: "Hop lads, hop...you must learn to hop like a chickadee" He was an early proponent of such innovations as shifting into different formations before the snap of the ball.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I agree with you about Monken. I can't imagine what else a guy has to do to put himself in the category of "proven" coaches. He's the real deal all the way.
I think hiring a successful 3O coach makes the floor higher and the ceiling lower for wins. Though I will say the rule changes on blocking make running the 3O more difficulty than most of the years Paul Johnson was here. The floor being higher is still the difficulty for most teams to prepare for the 3O. That would include non-conference games (outside of GA) and cross-division ACC opponents not named Clemson. But the ceiling would be lower predominately because you can't recruit the same level of talent (which plays out on offense and defense). I realize based on the past 3 seasons, 6 or 7 wins in a season sounds very attractive. But if you are TStan, that recipe was declining fans, revenue and attention in Atlanta and Georgia. So he took a chance which is obviously not working to change the dynamics of GT. Many coaches do have dynamic RPO schemes which showcase the run more than the pass. We just don't happen to have coaches (or possible players) who can leverage that style of offense. I think I would rather go in that direction versus back to a pure 3O. But obviously you can make the argument in many different directions.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
We could get Fritz from Tulane
That's who I really thought we should have gone after before. He has already shown the ability to transition a team away from a CPJ style 3-O offense and still be successful. Even if he was not the perfect coach long term, he would have been a perfect coach during the transition.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think hiring a successful 3O coach makes the floor higher and the ceiling lower for wins. Though I will say the rule changes on blocking make running the 3O more difficulty than most of the years Paul Johnson was here. The floor being higher is still the difficulty for most teams to prepare for the 3O. That would include non-conference games (outside of GA) and cross-division ACC opponents not named Clemson. But the ceiling would be lower predominately because you can't recruit the same level of talent (which plays out on offense and defense). I realize based on the past 3 seasons, 6 or 7 wins in a season sounds very attractive. But if you are TStan, that recipe was declining fans, revenue and attention in Atlanta and Georgia. So he took a chance which is obviously not working to change the dynamics of GT. Many coaches do have dynamic RPO schemes which showcase the run more than the pass. We just don't happen to have coaches (or possible players) who can leverage that style of offense. I think I would rather go in that direction versus back to a pure 3O. But obviously you can make the argument in many different directions.
Thanks for your post, but I'm not interested in floors, ceilings, schemes, or anything else except getting a good COACH. Just give Monken a good DC and a decent recruiting budget and turn him loose.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
IMO the only candiates GT will have with the next hire are P5 assistants and G5 HC's. You are unlikely to get a current or former P5 HC to come to GT.
Couldn't agree more strongly.

The idea that we are somehow competing with LSU, Florida or USC for head coaching candidates is laughable. Good P5 head coaches won't want to to come to GT. And why would GT want one of the P5 failures to come here?

I must say the arguments to see this through have some level of validity. I do believe Coordinator changes are required. And TStan mist insist that Collins get some help himself in game-day decision making.

The largest risk in seeing this experiment through is the semi-permanent damage done to the brand and fan base. Two more years of this type of performance and what differentiates us from Tulane or Rice or Vanderbilt? THAT is the risk. If this experiment runs the risk of not just failing, but exploding and burning down the entire building, then one must be cautious about letting it continue.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If running the 3-0 makes the “ceiling lower” for wins and that ceiling is therefore only 2009, 2014, or 2016 —— I guess I’ll take that?

Your ceiling and floor is dictated less by your particular scheme and more by player talent + coaching ability (considered both as game day adjustments and, more importantly, prepping your players to execute whatever scheme you’ve implemented). I suspect CPJ could have taken those Tebow-led Florida teams to the same heights. I could run the flexbone with the same crew and wouldn’t win more than 7 games.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That's who I really thought we should have gone after before. He has already shown the ability to transition a team away from a CPJ style 3-O offense and still be successful. Even if he was not the perfect coach long term, he would have been a perfect coach during the transition.
Umm, huh? Tulane is, what 2-9 this year? 31-42 all-time there, with a best record of 7-6 over 6 seasons? This is an upgrade how?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Not true. The overall winning percentage of GT football is .569. If you subtract the CGC years, it's .576. CPJs record was .582 at GT. Not only did he exceed the historical average, but he took us to two Orange Bowls in the process. He also owns two 11 win seasons, and in the history of GT football. 10+ wins are exceedingly rare. The fact that he did this even with a couple of mediocre seasons and one snake bit season speaks even more to how great a coach he was. It's not easy to win at schools like GT. When you can win big a few times like CPJ did it's a sign of a great coach.
Not true? Please look at Chan and His Win % vs CPJ

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If running the 3-0 makes the “ceiling lower” for wins and that ceiling is therefore only 2009, 2014, or 2016 —— I guess I’ll take that?

Your ceiling and floor is dictated less by your particular scheme and more by player talent + coaching ability (considered both as game day adjustments and, more importantly, prepping your players to execute whatever scheme you’ve implemented). I suspect CPJ could have taken those Tebow-led Florida teams to the same heights. I could run the flexbone with the same crew and wouldn’t win more than 7 games.
I agree that if Paul had Top 10 talent he would have fantastic records on a consistent basis. But that is the rub. Top Talent wants to play in the NFL and offensive players don't get highly regarded from 3O offense including Dwyer who was probably the best pure runner we got during PJ's era (and got drafted in the 6th round). I would also make the point that blocking changes make running the 3O more difficult. I would also say Georgia's talent is way higher than it was 3 years ago so wins against them would be really difficult.

Again, I do think a good 3O coach could be successful (certainly Paul Johnson no matter what). But I just think it will continue to get tougher over time to have outstanding seasons. But I don't think running a pure Pro Style offense is the approach we should use and more of a RPO offense could have flexibility in the running game as well as passing. I still would make the argument if the 3O could guarantee really successful seasons, more teams outside of the Service Academies would use it. But I do think option characteristics are used through out college football in different schemes and we seem to never use them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tell you what though, if he beats UGA this weekend, he'll always hold a special place in my heart no matter if he stays or is shown the door.
I’ve said this before, if he beats uga 99% of the fan base would vote to keep him and even extend his contract. That would be a monumental coaching job along the lines of, say…..Cumberland 28 - GA Tech 27.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I want to hear some more direct questions about the performance of the team using statistics. They have been serving up softball questions since he has been here. I realize he will not criticize his players publicly and I totally agree. Praise in public and criticize in private. I want to hear things like why have you stayed with 3 3 5 this year and still getting beat deep. Have you thought about using 2 tight ends or 2 backs for protection. What needs to be corrected to improve your defensive efficiency rating which is one of the worst in the country.