Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketEagle98

Georgia Tech Fan
Other Data points are that he had a VERY good defense in 2016 at UF. He had a mediocre D in 2017, but that UF team was terrible in a variety of ways, mainly on the offensive side, and Collins D was still good enough to get him a look as a HC.

Was CGC overrated? Possibly. He was nominated for the Broyle's award multiple times, and while that in itself proves nothing, it's also not nothing.

IMO, his biggest failings at GT so far are twofold: Game management and the defense. Game management can be learned, and if I were him I'd have a paid assistant out there helping him learn it ASAP. Dabo sucked as a game manager as well, and he was able to overcome it. The defensive issues are going to need an overhaul. I see no path forward for GT and CGC that includes Thacker. If CGC retains him, I think we see both fired at the end of 2022. If we get a new DC and make some significant progress on D, then I think Collins gets a shot at 2023. Either way, if we aren't bowling by 2023 CGC is gone. He also won't survive another 3-4 win season either. I think under the right circumstances he could survive a 5 win 2022, but the defense has to show signs of life before any of that can happen.
I agree with the post. I think Hatcher and Key have to go. I like both for different reasons, but both have under achieved this year and their players have shown no improvement during their time here. If they stay and lack of improvement continues, CGC and all will be replaced at the end of 2022.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Absolutely. The biggest problem is, who is going to be willing to come here with Collins' head on a chopping block?
Probably no one. But we could just step up the OC and DC pay to about ~$1M-$1.5M each and try to get someone great that doesn't end up getting a HC job this cycle. Herman, Mullen, Patterson, idk. It will be cheaper than paying a buy-out that's for sure. Someone good would work for $1.5M.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the post. I think Hatcher and Key have to go. I like both for different reasons, but both have under achieved this year and their players have shown no improvement during their time here. If they stay and lack of improvement continues, CGC and all will be replaced at the end of 2022.
Not sure but I thought CBK also had a buy out after last year when USC was trying to get him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I'm ok with Key staying. He has only underperformed per fans unrealistic expectations. Building a P5 OL from basically scratch takes time.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking back there were plenty of red lights flashing on Collins regarding his resume. GT ignored them. As a head coach he took a team that went 10-4 for 2 years in a row under another coach to 7-6 and 8-5. Collins has been a guy who got into the coaches fraternity and then rode coat tails of others and parlayed that into a head coach at Temple and then hit the big pay day with GT. Most of us have seen folks like him in our career fields. To Collins, I say congrats, you played the system to your benefit. And he’ll undoubtedly land another gig after he is fired because the fraternity is strong. Now that we all see it he’s gotta go because there is no hope he suddenly becomes competent. We can replace every coach and it won’t matter because he simply doesn’t know how to run the organization in a successful way. I admire him. He uprooted his family for years and paid his dues to get initiated into the coaching fraternity. He moved often and kept grinding. Unfortunately, his is the classic example of ”who you know” instead of “what you know”.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Looking back there were plenty of red lights flashing on Collins regarding his resume. GT ignored them. As a head coach he took a team that went 10-4 for 2 years in a row under another coach to 7-6 and 8-5. Collins has been a guy who got into the coaches fraternity and then rode coat tails of others and parlayed that into a head coach at Temple and then hit the big pay day with GT. Most of us have seen folks like him in our career fields. To Collins, I say congrats, you played the system to your benefit. And he’ll undoubtedly land another gig after he is fired because the fraternity is strong. Now that we all see it he’s gotta go because there is no hope he suddenly becomes competent. We can replace every coach and it won’t matter because he simply doesn’t know how to run the organization in a successful way. I admire him. He uprooted his family for years and paid his dues to get initiated into the coaching fraternity. He moved often and kept grinding. Unfortunately, his is the classic example of ”who you know” instead of “what you know”.
I'll add to that, especially due to the pressure to change coordinators. Geoff won't hire anyone what doesn't want to keep the charade going. He'll prefer less accomplished individuals because he won't want anyone that might upstage him, challenge him or see through him. If there is an OC/DC out there who is blind, mute and perhaps speaks a foreign language ... that's our guy. Otherwise, he'll keep Thacker and Thacker will keep sucking Geoff's elite toes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'll add to that, especially due to the pressure to change coordinators. Geoff won't hire anyone what doesn't want to keep the charade going. He'll prefer less accomplished individuals because he won't want anyone that might upstage him, challenge him or see through him. If there is an OC/DC out there who is blind, mute and perhaps speaks a foreign language ... that's our guy. Otherwise, he'll keep Thacker and Thacker will keep sucking Geoff's elite toes.

That's some high quality character assassination right there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'll wager Thacker's a goner. If Geoff won't fire him, Todd will.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you clarify if I'm missing something? This isn't the first time you've come here with this post.

We can choose to deploy your proposed scheduling strategy with any coach, and we should expect to go 4-0 against that nonconference slate. That is Georgia Tech's history pre-current regime. Therefore, 4-0 has nothing to do with Monken.

Then you want to go .500 in the ACC. That is Georgia Tech's history pre-current regime. Therefore, 8-4 on a consistent basis has nothing to do with Monken.

So why does it have to be Monken in order for Georgia Tech to achieve those results?

Sure, I will clarify.

This is based on a belief I have that Monken will deliver more consistent results running the option than "any coach" running a more traditional system. For example, I believe with every fiber of my being that Monken, at Georgia Tech, would have beaten Northern Illinois this year 60-14. "Any coach" lost that game 22-21. If the defense is at all competent, lesser opponents basically stand far less chance of pulling the upset because they aren't used to seeing the offense all the time.

On top of that, I think Monken is one of the best coaches in college football. You should want one of the best coaches in college football. What he's done at Army is pretty amazing. I think he would be easy to hire. Throw realistic names out there for Georgia Tech to replace Geoff Collins (or instead of Geoff Collins in the first place), and make a case for them against Jeff Monken. Head to head, Monken is hard to argue against because he's a really good football coach with all the results in the world to back it up. I think he will end up being a hall of fame coach. I really do.

Jeff Monken is 94-58 as head coach at Georgia Southern and Army.... Geoff Collins 24-34 as a head coach. I mean.... Come on. The dude was 15-10 at Temple. He's NEVER had double digit wins as a coach. Monken has 6 double digit win campaigns. There is absolutely no reasonable case to be made that Geoff Collins was more qualified, more accomplished, or any of that over Jeff Monken in the first place.

Someone else said they don't want to "pad" the resume with 4 easy wins.... I really wouldn't characterize it that way. Your non-conference should be teams from the MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, American, Mountain West, etc. Those are respectable football teams in many cases, but ones that Georgia Tech should win. And I've got news for you, when other "power teams" schedule Georgia Tech they view it as playing a P5 team that they shouldn't lose to. Notre Dame wasn't real worried about scheduling Georgia Tech... Neither is Georgia... Etc. Those things are not to Georgia Tech's advantage at this time.

Geoff Collins was a bad hire from the start... he's not qualified to be the coach at Georgia Tech. He's 9-24 here. He's never won two consecutive games at Georgia Tech. Seriously. Never won two games in a row.

I think Monken is the best hire Georgia Tech can reasonably make..... for some non-Monken options, I would look at:

Bill Clark at UAB
Dana Holgerson at Houston (who has baggage because he's an *******)
Mike Houston at ECU

That's who I would interview, along with Jeff Monken, if I were the Athletic Director.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
In retrospect, maybe coming in with an implicit message of “the players on this team right now suck and will be replaced with starting-NFL-quality elite athletes in the very near future” was not actually a stroke of genius for branding and team cohesion purposes.

However, I acknowledge it may have been genius for other purposes (preemptive excuse-making and blame-casting, for instance).

I think it was 2019 that I asked what people thought Geoff’s ceiling here was - would he ever beat UGA? Would he ever go to an ACC championship? Many respected posters believed at that time that his ceiling was significantly higher than the previous regime, or at least the one before it. Not sure if there are still any true believers left though.

What remains from this contingent appears to be less belief in Geoff qua Geoff and more a compulsive urge to blame the previous regime for Geoff’s woes. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish this set from the obvious trolls who satirize them (a la “G.A.” who provides onion-quality send-ups like “if you pretend we didn’t beat UGA three times, Geoff has the same number of victories over UGA as the previous regime!”)

Collins came in making excuses. I don’t know how anyone thought this augured well for the program.