Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Geoff has a system or concept he is coaching to. Does anyone see it? When I worked with Toyota, the whole program was ... "Measure and manage to a process, not a person." I just can't figure Geoff's out ....
Or maybe you just don't want to see it, Vespidae.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My fiscal discipline prevents me from breaching the pay wall. What did he say?
It's Sally Jenkins. She points out how disciplined Tom Brady is and that he will forego near term success in favor of the long view. I wish I could feel OK with pasting the whole thing here, but this is her opening paragraph.

"If you’re offered $400 now but you can have $550 by waiting three months, which do you take: the quick cash or more money later? The answer to that question says something about your ability to compete with Tom Brady. Because he will wait. And then he will wait some more. He will give up today’s fun for tomorrow’s reward, and eventually he will bury you with all the loose change that is the difference between his self-discipline and your itch for immediate gratification."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IIrc, we changed coaches between 79 and 80. Curry won 6 games in his 3rd year.

Worst 3 yrs by the same coach in nearly a century.

If CGC were a dawg fan who wanted to keep his job ruining GT football, what would he do differently?
When I look at coaches I admire, you can write their strategy down on a single piece of paper. Bear Bryant said he didn't care what offense or defense he ran, so long as it produced the results (which he wrote down) he wanted. Measure to a result. Gene Stallings (who was Dabo's mentor) was the same.

I don't think Geoff has a system or concept he is coaching to. Does anyone see it? When I worked with Toyota, the whole program was ... "Measure and manage to a process, not a person." I just can't figure Geoff's out ....
I dare anybody to listen to Stallings talk for three sentences and not fall in love with his drawl. (Dabo, by the way, holds two coaching distinctions so far unique: he is directly in the coaching line to Bear Bryant -- Stallings the link -- and one of only two coaches to win a national championship as both a player and a coach. The other? Bud Wilkinson. Who he is not like in the process line might be Stallings. He ran off a DC who objected to the up-tempo offense Swinney wanted.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I had to go back and look at the records of past coaches:

We can't say Collins is the worst coach win/loss wise in Tech history. After three years Bill Curry only had 8 wins. B*&$ L$%#^ had 11. Ross had 12. (although they played one fewer games per year)

Both Curry and Ross both got better coaching jobs after leaving Tech. Maybe Collins can turn a winning record next year like Curry and Ross.
CGC is not and will never be Ross.

Coach Ross also came in with a proven record of winning, unlike CGC's two mediocre seasons at a Temple team that was pretty good before he got there.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I dare anybody to listen to Stallings talk for three sentences and not fall in love with his drawl. (Dabo, by the way, holds two coaching distinctions so far unique: he is directly in the coaching line to Bear Bryant -- Stallings the link -- and one of only two coaches to win a national championship as both a player and a coach. The other? Bud Wilkinson. Who he is not like in the process line might be Stallings. He ran off a DC who objected to the up-tempo offense Swinney wanted.
I worked for a guy who was a CFB official - line judge. Stallings was by far his favorite coach to work a game. Not because it was easy, but because it was always entertaining. Non stop f-bombs at the officials, but so many it was funny. Guy was a hell of a FB coach

FEWrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting to find Jim Mora is replacing the former Tech DC Randy Edsall at U Conn with a salary of $1.2 million and incentive of just 200,000 in second year.
Tech paid Geoff Collins of $2,883,115 or 56th among FBS coach, U. Conn. only offers around $1.2 million but a former UCLA coach with a better overall winning record of 46-30 and NFL former Head Coach of Falcons and Seahawks would accept.
For any management, position is filled with what is market worth. Tech is not underpaid at all.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's Sally Jenkins. She points out how disciplined Tom Brady is and that he will forego near term success in favor of the long view. I wish I could feel OK with pasting the whole thing here, but this is her opening paragraph.

"If you’re offered $400 now but you can have $550 by waiting three months, which do you take: the quick cash or more money later? The answer to that question says something about your ability to compete with Tom Brady. Because he will wait. And then he will wait some more. He will give up today’s fun for tomorrow’s reward, and eventually he will bury you with all the loose change that is the difference between his self-discipline and your itch for immediate gratification."
If I know I'm going to get $550 in three months, I'll wait.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to find Jim Mora is replacing the former Tech DC Randy Edsall at U Conn with a salary of $1.2 million and incentive of just 200,000 in second year.
Tech paid Geoff Collins of $2,883,115 or 56th among FBS coach, U. Conn. only offers around $1.2 million but a former UCLA coach with a better overall winning record of 46-30 and NFL former Head Coach of Falcons and Seahawks would accept.
For any management, position is filled with what is market worth. Tech is not underpaid at all.
I didn't care for him when he was here with the Falcons can't remember what he did to get fired so fast

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I didn't care for him when he was here with the Falcons can't remember what he did to get fired so fast
From his Wikipedia page:

The national media and the Falcons fans had high expectations in the 2006 season. While in the wild card race at 7–6 in December, Atlanta lost their final three games, including two at home, and missed the playoffs for a second straight year with a 7–9 record overall. On December 14, while the Falcons were still statistically alive in their quest for the playoffs, Mora said during a radio interview with Dave "Softy" Mahler and former Huskies teammate/roommate Hugh Millen on Seattle sports-talk radio station KJR-AM that if it were offered, he would take the head coaching job at the University of Washington (a job that was not open), "even if [the Falcons] were in a playoff run."[7] He additionally said he was "dead serious" about his desire for the Washington job. While Mora later backpedaled and claimed that he was only kidding,[8] team owner Arthur Blank publicly expressed his disapproval of Mora's comments.[9]

Following the season, the Atlanta Falcons announced that they had fired Mora.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
If I know I'm going to get $550 in three months, I'll wait.

Yeah, that’s the problem with this analogy. There’s no guarantee Collins will figure this out in the long run and all the signs point to him…not figuring it out.

Also as Liberty pointed out, Brady won his first SB his first year as a starter. I don’t get the point lol

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t want Jim Mora Jr. as my HC if he was free